New External Maxtor drive constantly disappears from the s..

I have just installed, formatted and partitioned a 160Gb Maxtor external
drive using firewire connection.Everything looks fine. The 'My Computer'
window sees it and lists the 3 partitions O.K. At this stage everything look
fine !

When I try to do a system back-up or copy documents to it -it starts to
copy across as one would expect but soon puts out a message (exact wording
not available at present) indicating that it can no longer write to the
external disc.

The message when failing to complete back-up is :
"Windows - delayed write failure. Windows was unable to save all of the
data for the file G:\$Mft. The data has been lost. This error may be caused
by failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to
save this file elsewhere"

At this stage the 3 partitions of this external drive just disappear from
the hardware listing in the 'My Computer' window. They can be brought back
however by switching the external drive OFF then ON again.

I have checked the firewire cable as best I can. The power is O.K.It just
seems that the Maxtor just DROPS OUT or Windows somehow loses it even as it
is writing to it.

I would really appreciate any suggestions. I have no idea where to turn for
advice.

Thierry
6 answers Last reply
More about external maxtor drive constantly disappears

    Thierry wrote:
    > I have just installed, formatted and partitioned a 160Gb Maxtor
    > external drive using firewire connection.Everything looks fine. The
    > 'My Computer' window sees it and lists the 3 partitions O.K. At this
    > stage everything look fine !
    >
    > When I try to do a system back-up or copy documents to it -it starts
    > to copy across as one would expect but soon puts out a message (exact
    > wording not available at present) indicating that it can no longer
    > write to the external disc.
    >
    > The message when failing to complete back-up is :
    > "Windows - delayed write failure. Windows was unable to save all of
    > the data for the file G:\$Mft. The data has been lost. This error may
    > be caused by failure of your computer hardware or network connection.
    > Please try to save this file elsewhere"
    >
    > At this stage the 3 partitions of this external drive just disappear
    > from the hardware listing in the 'My Computer' window. They can be
    > brought back however by switching the external drive OFF then ON
    > again.
    >
    > I have checked the firewire cable as best I can. The power is O.K.It
    > just seems that the Maxtor just DROPS OUT or Windows somehow loses it
    > even as it is writing to it.
    >
    > I would really appreciate any suggestions. I have no idea where to
    > turn for advice.
    >
    > Thierry

    I have a 200Gb Maxtor external on USB and I have only been able to get it to
    run reliably when connected to a on USB 1.1 port. I have the same issues you
    do. I have two partitions on mine. When I try to run it on USB 2.0 and
    move a lot of data I get errors such as the following and the drive
    basically freezes:

    2/12/2005 1:23:56 PM COM+ Error (98) 4691 N/A ACCES The run-time environment
    was unable to initialize for transactions required to support transactional
    components. Make sure that MS-DTC is running. (DtcGetTransactionManagerEx():
    hr = 0x8004d01b)

    How about looking in your event logs and see if you are having any errors
    recorded such as this, VSS error, disk 51 errors, disk 57 errors.
    --
    <Bill>

    Brought to you from beautiful Unalaska/Dutch Harbor, Alaska.
    N 53° 51.140' W 166° 30.228' (WGS 84)

    Bill, Thanks for taking the time to respond- Unfortunately what you describe
    is currently beyond my comprehension !
    I am currently researching the Maxtor software side (Retrospect 6.0) . I
    suppose it's possible that this conflicts with windows stuff.This hole seems
    too deep for me so I have decided to remove the Retrospect software
    completely to see if I am able to operate the Extrernal drive without it. At
    least that way I'll get some use out of it !

    I know this computing is a hard business. I currently believe that it is
    likely to be the mix of software that's the cause. Under these cicumstance
    Nobody is responsible and therefore Neither Microsoft of Maxtor or Dantz are
    likely to offer definitive answers even though as a central source (other a
    message board like this) they are the only ones able to gather and regularise
    all of the problems into ONE possible reason/solution
    Remember though We'll ALL be dead in 100 years anyway.
    Thierry
    "Bill Bradshaw" wrote:

    > Thierry wrote:
    > > I have just installed, formatted and partitioned a 160Gb Maxtor
    > > external drive using firewire connection.Everything looks fine. The
    > > 'My Computer' window sees it and lists the 3 partitions O.K. At this
    > > stage everything look fine !
    > >
    > > When I try to do a system back-up or copy documents to it -it starts
    > > to copy across as one would expect but soon puts out a message (exact
    > > wording not available at present) indicating that it can no longer
    > > write to the external disc.
    > >
    > > The message when failing to complete back-up is :
    > > "Windows - delayed write failure. Windows was unable to save all of
    > > the data for the file G:\$Mft. The data has been lost. This error may
    > > be caused by failure of your computer hardware or network connection.
    > > Please try to save this file elsewhere"
    > >
    > > At this stage the 3 partitions of this external drive just disappear
    > > from the hardware listing in the 'My Computer' window. They can be
    > > brought back however by switching the external drive OFF then ON
    > > again.
    > >
    > > I have checked the firewire cable as best I can. The power is O.K.It
    > > just seems that the Maxtor just DROPS OUT or Windows somehow loses it
    > > even as it is writing to it.
    > >
    > > I would really appreciate any suggestions. I have no idea where to
    > > turn for advice.
    > >
    > > Thierry
    >
    > I have a 200Gb Maxtor external on USB and I have only been able to get it to
    > run reliably when connected to a on USB 1.1 port. I have the same issues you
    > do. I have two partitions on mine. When I try to run it on USB 2.0 and
    > move a lot of data I get errors such as the following and the drive
    > basically freezes:
    >
    > 2/12/2005 1:23:56 PM COM+ Error (98) 4691 N/A ACCES The run-time environment
    > was unable to initialize for transactions required to support transactional
    > components. Make sure that MS-DTC is running. (DtcGetTransactionManagerEx():
    > hr = 0x8004d01b)
    >
    > How about looking in your event logs and see if you are having any errors
    > recorded such as this, VSS error, disk 51 errors, disk 57 errors.
    > --
    > <Bill>
    >
    > Brought to you from beautiful Unalaska/Dutch Harbor, Alaska.
    > N 53° 51.140' W 166° 30.228' (WGS 84)

    At the run command type eventvwr.msc /s. See what you have under
    application and system.

    You might want to look at this program:

    http://www.xxcopy.com

    The best way to get answers for most questions to all XXCOPY users is the
    XXCOPY discussion group sponsored by Yahoo.
    --

    Thierry wrote:
    > Bill, Thanks for taking the time to respond- Unfortunately what you
    > describe is currently beyond my comprehension !
    > I am currently researching the Maxtor software side (Retrospect 6.0)
    > . I suppose it's possible that this conflicts with windows stuff.This
    > hole seems too deep for me so I have decided to remove the Retrospect
    > software completely to see if I am able to operate the Extrernal
    > drive without it. At least that way I'll get some use out of it !
    >
    > "Bill Bradshaw" wrote:
    >
    >> Thierry wrote:
    >>> I have just installed, formatted and partitioned a 160Gb Maxtor
    >>> external drive using firewire connection.Everything looks fine. The
    >>> 'My Computer' window sees it and lists the 3 partitions O.K. At this
    >>> stage everything look fine !
    >>
    >> I have a 200Gb Maxtor external on USB and I have only been able to
    >> get it to run reliably when connected to a on USB 1.1 port. I have
    >> the same issues you do. I have two partitions on mine. When I try
    >> to run it on USB 2.0 and move a lot of data I get errors such as the
    >> following and the drive basically freezes:
    >>
    >> 2/12/2005 1:23:56 PM COM+ Error (98) 4691 N/A ACCES The run-time
    >> environment was unable to initialize for transactions required to
    >> support transactional components. Make sure that MS-DTC is running.
    >> (DtcGetTransactionManagerEx(): hr = 0x8004d01b)
    >>
    >> How about looking in your event logs and see if you are having any
    >> errors recorded such as this, VSS error, disk 51 errors, disk 57
    >> errors. --
    >> <Bill>
    >>
    >> Brought to you from beautiful Unalaska/Dutch Harbor, Alaska.
    >> N 53° 51.140' W 166° 30.228' (WGS 84)

    These are the problems I am having. Let us know if you get the hotfix and
    if it solves your problem. I have also emailed Microsoft and requested a
    copy. It seems oriented towards firewire but there is some language that in
    the article that implies it may also be for USB.
    --

    Thierry wrote:
    > Well Guys many thanks for your interest and for making the effort to
    > help. Very much appreciated.
    >
    > but...... I HAVE FOUND THE ANSWER (and it may help others who read
    > this)
    >
    > This is a known fault with win xp (SP2).
    >
    > Microsoft have an article ID 885464 (19th Oct., 2004) Revision 1.0
    > I won't try to explain what causes it. Sufficient to say that they
    > have a HOTFIX.
    >
    > I have just emailed my local Microsoft Help Desk and hope that they
    > will send me the HOTFIX soon.
    >
    > I am very pleased that persistence has paid off for once !
    >
    > Bye for now (We'll still all be dead in 100 years anyway)
    >
    > Thierry .....Whooooopeeeee.

    Bill ( and others),
    You have just caught me at the right time. The problem is solved (well almost)
    This is the story (I won't repeat my earlier comments which are still
    substantially true).

    I applied the hotfix -address and special password of which was supplied to
    be by the microsoft hotfix people. Hotfix number is KB885464. BUT THIS DID
    NOT FIX THE PROBLEM.

    After much to-ing and fro-ing and telephone calls etc I was contacted by a
    microsoft lady who 'knew her stuff'.

    My maxtor was initially connected via a firewire but firewire connection
    with or without hotfix DID NOT WORK
    Micro 'techie' suggested that I change the connection to use the USB port
    instead.
    CHANGING CONNECTION FROM THE FIREWIRE PORT TO THE USB PORT (whilst leaving
    the hotfix installed). Solved the problem - for me !

    Now I don't know whether the hotfix had anything whatsoever to do with the
    solution but I don't intend to de-install it at this stage (If it ain't broke
    don't fix it)

    I BELIEVE that my firewire card was the cause of the problem. It was
    originally installed for camcorder use. It MAY BE that I need to upgrade the
    drivers - If that is possible OR just replace the card.

    That's IT folks

    Thierry

    "Thierry" <Thierry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have just installed, formatted and partitioned a 160Gb Maxtor external
    > drive using firewire connection.Everything looks fine. The 'My Computer'
    > window sees it and lists the 3 partitions O.K. At this stage everything
    look
    > fine !
    >
    > When I try to do a system back-up or copy documents to it -it starts to
    > copy across as one would expect but soon puts out a message (exact wording
    > not available at present) indicating that it can no longer write to the
    > external disc.
    >
    > The message when failing to complete back-up is :
    > "Windows - delayed write failure. Windows was unable to save all of the
    > data for the file G:\$Mft. The data has been lost. This error may be
    caused
    > by failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to
    > save this file elsewhere"
    >
    > At this stage the 3 partitions of this external drive just disappear from
    > the hardware listing in the 'My Computer' window. They can be brought back
    > however by switching the external drive OFF then ON again.
    >
    > I have checked the firewire cable as best I can. The power is O.K.It just
    > seems that the Maxtor just DROPS OUT or Windows somehow loses it even as
    it
    > is writing to it.
    >
    > I would really appreciate any suggestions. I have no idea where to turn
    for
    > advice.
    >
    > Thierry

    I have had a perhaps similar problem with a firewire device with SP2.
    Eventually I removed SP2 and the problem (instead of the device!)
    disappeared. The device is an M-Audio Firewire 410 audio interface. It
    would initialize and run for anywhere between seconds and minutes, and then
    stop working. The applications would complain that they could not
    communicate with the device driver.

    Do you have SP2 installed? If so, did the firewire drive work properly
    before installing SP2?

    HTH
    -k

Maxtor Windows XP