RAM Not Showing in "My Computer Info"

I've recently installed a second 256 Mb RAM card in my ABIT motherboard.
When the BIOS boot up it displays the RAM as being 512, which is correct (2
x 256 ).

I am running WindowsXP Home edition on that machine and when I run "My
Computer Info" the hardware profile is only showing 256 Mb of RAM.

Does this mean that WindowsXP is only recognizing one of the RAM cards? If
so how can I correct this.

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide.

Tom

could be a lot of things,

is the RAM good?
is it compatible with your board?
is it compatible with your other stick?
what does the BIOs test it at?

--
EasyFeelings
A+

"When your computer is working good, That's an EasyFeeling"

Open Task Manager, tab Performance, Physical Memory area.

Tom Mc wrote:

>I've recently installed a second 256 Mb RAM card in my ABIT motherboard.
>When the BIOS boot up it displays the RAM as being 512, which is correct (2
>x 256 ).
>
>I am running WindowsXP Home edition on that machine and when I run "My
>Computer Info" the hardware profile is only showing 256 Mb of RAM.

That report is unreliable. Go to Control Panel - System - General page
and see what it says at the bottom of that

"Tom Mc" <thom2@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>I've recently installed a second 256 Mb RAM card in my ABIT motherboard.
>When the BIOS boot up it displays the RAM as being 512, which is correct (2
>x 256 ).
>
>I am running WindowsXP Home edition on that machine and when I run "My
>Computer Info" the hardware profile is only showing 256 Mb of RAM.
>
>Does this mean that WindowsXP is only recognizing one of the RAM cards? If
>so how can I correct this.
>
>Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide.
>
>Tom

Open Control Panel - System - General and see what is being reported
at the bottom of that window for RAM total.

If that is also showing only 256 mb then use Start - Run - MSCONFIG,
go to the BOOT.INI tab and click on the Advanced Options button. In
the Advanced Options window make certain that the checkbox for the
/MAXMEM= line is clear and that there is no value in the data box for
that line. Click on Apply and OK as needed and then reboot the
machine to put the change into effect.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--