Trying to add more space

I have a 20GB hard drive that still has 6GB of available space. The
drive currently has 2 partitions, one is 8GB (C drive) and the other is
4GB (E drive). I'm trying to figure out a way to add the 6GB to the 8GB
to make it a 14GB partition and leaving all the data intact. Which is
WinXP Home and other Windows applications and data. Possible? Any
recommendations?

peter

Do a Google for a program called BootItNG.........download and install.
Read the instruction on making a bootable floppy.
Read the instuctions on partition work.
it works and it works great
peter
"d28" <kevindu28@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have a 20GB hard drive that still has 6GB of available space. The
> drive currently has 2 partitions, one is 8GB (C drive) and the other is
> 4GB (E drive). I'm trying to figure out a way to add the 6GB to the 8GB
> to make it a 14GB partition and leaving all the data intact. Which is
> WinXP Home and other Windows applications and data. Possible? Any
> recommendations?

PM worked perfectly. There is an option to redistribute available free
space whether it was allocated or not. Now my pervious 8GB partition
is now 14.1GB. Just what I wanted. Amazing thing was it took all of 5
or so minutes to complete the operations. Thanks for the responses.

Partition Magic - Symantec product, or whatever partitioning program you
like.

"d28" <kevindu28@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have a 20GB hard drive that still has 6GB of available space. The
> drive currently has 2 partitions, one is 8GB (C drive) and the other is
> 4GB (E drive). I'm trying to figure out a way to add the 6GB to the 8GB
> to make it a 14GB partition and leaving all the data intact. Which is
> WinXP Home and other Windows applications and data. Possible? Any
> recommendations?

What happened to D:? On a 20 GB drive, you say C is 8GB, E is 4GB - you
haven't mentioned D: which mathematically must be 8GB.
You cannot merge C: and E: (non-consecutive partitions).
Do it in 3 stages (4, if you take care and back-up your E:\data to CD's -
Recommended but not essential if you want to take a chance, personally had
no probs with Partition Magic, doing it without back-up)

First, defrag all 3 partitions ( partition adjustments work better on
contiguous files)
Second, merge D: and E: - you now have C: = 8GB, and D: = 12GB (including
all the data currently on E:)
Finally, change partition C: to the partition size of your choice. which
will automatically reduce D: likewise.

Better yet - invest in a new HDD. 20GB total is not a lot of space, XP takes
a lot. Make the 20GB HDD a single boot disk C:, use the new HDD as slave for
whatever partition size/usage you want.

Sincerely, Len

" <kevindu28@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have a 20GB hard drive that still has 6GB of available space. The
> drive currently has 2 partitions, one is 8GB (C drive) and the other is
> 4GB (E drive). I'm trying to figure out a way to add the 6GB to the 8GB
> to make it a 14GB partition and leaving all the data intact. Which is
> WinXP Home and other Windows applications and data. Possible? Any
> recommendations?

I think that D is a second physical drive..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm