Wireless OK on 98 ?

I'm about to set up an ad-hoc wireless network between my new laptop (with
XP) and an old desktop running 98.

Question is - can I setup an ad-hoc relationship for wireless networking
using 98 as the operating system and the server ? (the desktop has he
broadband connection it has to be the server yes/no ?)

I'm not planning to use a router or WAP as it is to be an ad-hoc setup.

Please advise if this is going to work ?
Thanks.

--
carole UK

Hi, Carole -

If there is a driver for the Wireless NIC in the 98 system it MIGHT be
possible, but it will probably require a lot of manual setups and add-in
software. It is likely that you will have some serious problems.

An Ad-Hoc Host system under Windows XP provides DHCP, DNS Relaying, and also
routes the IP using a version of Network Address Translation. On XP this is
set up for you by a Wizard. Windows 98 was never really designed to natively
do any of these things.

It would probably be easier, less expensive and less of a headache to
upgrade to Windows XP in the desktop. It would be even easier, much less
expensive and much less of a headache to pick up a Wireless Router. Linksys
sells them cheaply, about $58. Then you could connect the wireless router to
the broadband connection and connect the desktop and laptop both to the
wireless router.
--
William L. Whipple
WWW.EZine.Com

"Carole UK" <CaroleUK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm about to set up an ad-hoc wireless network between my new laptop (with
> XP) and an old desktop running 98.
>
> Question is - can I setup an ad-hoc relationship for wireless networking
> using 98 as the operating system and the server ? (the desktop has he
> broadband connection it has to be the server yes/no ?)
>
> I'm not planning to use a router or WAP as it is to be an ad-hoc setup.
>
> Please advise if this is going to work ?
> Thanks.
>

> --
> carole UK

TRENDING THREADS