mouse scrolling by itself

i have a very strange problem here..my mouse will all of a sudden scroll
across the screen by itself to the left..then will go up the screen...i have
deleted the driver,reinstalled the driver for the mouse..i am running
xpsp2...is there a conflict with this and if so how the heck do i get rid of
this annoyance
thanks
look forward to some help on this

bar

Some types of mice will do this if placed on an inappropriate surface.

If you have an optical mouse, it will work best on a plain white [and not
beige] or blue mat or even paper.