repartitioning hard drive

pat

Expert

I have a 80GB harddrive that I initally partitioned C:=20GB and D:=60GB...I
find that I need to repartition so there is more memory in C:,,,can I do this
without reformatting the whole thing?
--
Pat

IMO 20GB is lots for XP to operate in. My O/S partition never gets over
10GB.

Moving your My Documents folder over to the D: partition is a good idea if
it is large and will free up space in C:. Also, games and other programs
can be installed in D: as well.

Read the following info:
*******************************
Effects of Image Restoration

Looking ahead to image restoration .. restoring an image can have "adverse"
effects. This concerns your personal data which gets "rolled back" to the

state your system was in when the image was created. To avoid this you can
move four folders off your system partition:

- My Documents

- Favorites

- Address Book

- E-mail storage location

This is not necessary, but minimises the adverse effects of restoring an
image. Moving these folders is easy:

My Documents is moved by [in Windows Explorer] creating a new My Documents
folder on a different drive. Right-click the desktop icon, choose

"Properties" and then "Move". Point to the desired location. You will be
asked if you want all sub-folders and contents to be moved also. The
original

folder can be deleted, but it can also be left as is. The registry is
automatically edited to reflect the change.

To enter Windows Explorer: Start, Run, Explorer, OK.

The Favorites folder is moved [in Windows

Explorer] from C:\Documents and Settings\"User name"\ by right-clicking and
dragging-n-dropping to the new drive, and choosing "Move Here". The

registry is automatically edited to reflect the change.

The Address book is moved by [in Windows Explorer] creating a new Address
Book folder on a different drive. From:

C:\Documents and Settings\"User name"\Application Data\Microsoft\Address
Book\

Right-click and drag-n-drop "User name".wab and "User name".wa~ to the new
folder and choose "Move Here".

You have to manually edit the registry. Click Start / Run and type "Regedit"
in the run-dialog box and hit the <enter> key. Find the registry key:

"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\WAB\WAB4\Wab File Name" and change the
path to the new location. Close regedit and restart the

computer. If you don't, it will create a new "User name".wab and default
back to the original location.

E-mail storage location is moved by [in Windows Explorer] creating a new
E-mail folder on a different drive. [I use the folder name "Mail".] From
within

Outlook Express, click Tools / Options / Maintenance and the "Store Folder"
button. Click "Change" and point to the new location. If this new location

already contains an address book [from a different operating system, perhaps
you are multi-booting] it will ask if you want to use the one already there,

or the new one you are moving there. Take a moment to think and choose
correctly .. or you will loose all your messages. Using this method, you can

configure multiple operating systems to use the same email directory.
Restart Outlook Express for changes to take effect. The registry is
automatically

edited to reflect the change. These steps are valid in Windows XP Pro. Other
operating systems may vary. It is still necessary to backup the data in

these folders.

*******************************

My appologies to the original author of the above as I do not remember who
it was.

r.

"Pat" <Pat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a 80GB harddrive that I initally partitioned C:=20GB and D:=60GB...I
> find that I need to repartition so there is more memory in C:,,,can I do
> this
> without reformatting the whole thing?
> --
> Pat

You can not repartition with the built-in utilities of XP. You will need to
locate utilties that do this, like Symantec's Partition Magic. However, a
backup is always recommended!

"Pat" <Pat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a 80GB harddrive that I initally partitioned C:=20GB and D:=60GB...I
> find that I need to repartition so there is more memory in C:,,,can I do
> this
> without reformatting the whole thing?
> --
> Pat

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 08:53:01 -0800, Pat
<Pat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a 80GB harddrive that I initally partitioned C:=20GB and D:=60GB...I
>find that I need to repartition so there is more memory in C:,,,can I do this
>without reformatting the whole thing?

Yes and No. No, you can't do it in Windows without losing data. Yes,
you can do this using third party software, like Partition Magic.

Pat wrote:

>I have a 80GB harddrive that I initally partitioned C:=20GB and D:=60GB...I
>find that I need to repartition so there is more memory in C:,,,can I do this
>without reformatting the whole thing?
>--

Please do not confuse memory (RAM) with disk space

20 GB should be a suitable size for system and programs. What I suggest
is that you move data to D:. Open a My Computer window on D, another on
C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\
to show My Documents, then with the *right* Mouse button down, drag the
My Documents across, and on release take *Move* here

That will move the files (which probably add to a lot) and update the
registry so references to 'My Documents'look in the right place

Then run
Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Disk Cleanup
to clean spare disk space. You might use the More Options button to
delete all but the most recent Restore point too, then in
Control Panel - System - System Restore highlight C, click Settings and
set space used down to say 600 or 700; and for D have system Restore off
- there is no point in monitoring a data partition as it ignores such
files anyway

Trent© wrote:

>The easiest way to do that is with a Ramdisk. Just put the ramdisk
>into the mainframe...copy some memory to it...then carry it over to
>the other machine....and plug it in.
>
>That's what Ramdisk's are for! lol

Oh yeah? A RAMdisk exists in the volatile memory of a machine (has to
be restarted at each boot, and you *can't* take it elsewhere)

You *probably* mean a USB key of flash memory - very useful. But PLEASE
get terminology right!