.exe Files!! Please Help!!

Hi there, i am having some major problems with my toshiba notebook. :(
everytime i try to open any program it brings up the 'open with' box
and asks me which program i would like to open it with.
usually this would not be a problem as i would just choose the right
program and put a tick in the ''always use the selected program to open
this kind of file'' box but this option is not highlighted so am unable
to put tick in the box.

i have looked at the microsoft website for help and believe it is to do
with .exe files that i cant open and is something to do with the
registry editor. as i am not too clever with computers i dont want to
edit any if the registry information without taking advice from someone
that knows what they are talking about.

i cant even open any of the control panel at the moment either, when i
try to open any of the contol panel subjects it brings up a box saying
'c:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe application not found'

i have tried to do a system restore but even this i cant open!! i have
also gone into setup and chosen 'choose last known good configuration'
but that doesnt work. :confused:

any help or advice would be great

--
martinbliss
1 answer Last reply

    a) Your question has nothing to do with hardware.
    b) See your multiposted item WindowsXP.General.

    Please note that multi-posting wastes everyone's time.
    Use cross-posting instead if you wish to increase your
    audience, by entering several groups into the address
    field, separated by semicolons.

    "martinbliss" <martinbliss.1kgf1o@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > Hi there, i am having some major problems with my toshiba notebook. :(
    > everytime i try to open any program it brings up the 'open with' box
    > and asks me which program i would like to open it with.
    > usually this would not be a problem as i would just choose the right
    > program and put a tick in the ''always use the selected program to open
    > this kind of file'' box but this option is not highlighted so am unable
    > to put tick in the box.
    >
    > i have looked at the microsoft website for help and believe it is to do
    > with .exe files that i cant open and is something to do with the
    > registry editor. as i am not too clever with computers i dont want to
    > edit any if the registry information without taking advice from someone
    > that knows what they are talking about.
    >
    > i cant even open any of the control panel at the moment either, when i
    > try to open any of the contol panel subjects it brings up a box saying
    > 'c:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe application not found'
    >
    > i have tried to do a system restore but even this i cant open!! i have
    > also gone into setup and chosen 'choose last known good configuration'
    > but that doesnt work. :confused:
    >
    > any help or advice would be great
    >

    > --
    > martinbliss