how to troubleshoot jerky video

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
October 11, 2004 8:12:55 AM

I have a LeadTek WinFast A 340T AGP Video card (nVidia GeForce FX5200) on a
system that I recently built. I just bought a Samsung 16x DVD ROM drive and
tried testing the video. I am seeing that the video output is slightly
jerky. It is clearly noticeable when watching flowing water - after every
3/4 seconds there is a fraction of a second pause before it continues again.
It is also noticeable when the camera is panning a scene, when a person is
running etc.

Can someone suggest how can I troubleshoot this? I un-installed all video
card related software (including the dirvers) and installed the latest
direct x from the micorsoft website. Then I re-installed the video card
driver again. Then I installed power dvd.

I still see the same problem. Can it be related to the dvd rom drive? What
else should I check?

Tried moving the windows hardware acceleration down one notch - did not
help.
Tried setting AGB FastWrite in BIOS to disabled - did not help.

Here is my system info:
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ with the standard retail heatsink on socket 754
MSI K8N Neo FSR mainboard BIOS v1.4
Antec TruPower 380 W PSU and Antec Sonata case
Leadtek WinFast NVidia GeForce FX 5200 AGP Card
1 GB Patriot Ram
160GB SATA drive Western Digital
1 Samsung 16X TS-H352A DVD ROM Drive hooked on to IDE1
1 standard floppy drive
Windows XP

Thanks,
Shantanu Sen
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 16, 2004 10:06:53 AM

From what you've written, its hard to determine what is causing your
problem. Let me ask a couple of questions to help clarify for the group
where the problem might be.

Is your video jerky if you take a video directly from your hard disk and
play it without burning it to the DVD?

If yes to above, have you tried rebooting with the DVD drive disconnected
and playing the same video to see if the problem persists?

If the video plays fine from your hard disk, but is jerky from the DVD, have
you tried burning it at a slower speed? Another brand of media that is on
Samsungs list of approved media?

Are you overclocking?

These should help in narrowing the possible problems.

"Shantanu Sen" <sdsen@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>I have a LeadTek WinFast A 340T AGP Video card (nVidia GeForce FX5200) on a
> system that I recently built. I just bought a Samsung 16x DVD ROM drive
> and
> tried testing the video. I am seeing that the video output is slightly
> jerky. It is clearly noticeable when watching flowing water - after every
> 3/4 seconds there is a fraction of a second pause before it continues
> again.
> It is also noticeable when the camera is panning a scene, when a person is
> running etc.
>
> Can someone suggest how can I troubleshoot this? I un-installed all video
> card related software (including the dirvers) and installed the latest
> direct x from the micorsoft website. Then I re-installed the video card
> driver again. Then I installed power dvd.
>
> I still see the same problem. Can it be related to the dvd rom drive? What
> else should I check?
>
> Tried moving the windows hardware acceleration down one notch - did not
> help.
> Tried setting AGB FastWrite in BIOS to disabled - did not help.
>
> Here is my system info:
> AMD Athlon 64 3200+ with the standard retail heatsink on socket 754
> MSI K8N Neo FSR mainboard BIOS v1.4
> Antec TruPower 380 W PSU and Antec Sonata case
> Leadtek WinFast NVidia GeForce FX 5200 AGP Card
> 1 GB Patriot Ram
> 160GB SATA drive Western Digital
> 1 Samsung 16X TS-H352A DVD ROM Drive hooked on to IDE1
> 1 standard floppy drive
> Windows XP
>

> Thanks,
> Shantanu Sen

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
October 18, 2004 11:00:23 AM

Hi,
Also make sure that the DVD drive and the hard drive don't share the
same IDE channel. Doesn't apply if the hard drive is a serial ATA.
Only one drive at a time can use an IDE Channel if you have two
connected to one channel. This is not a problem with SCSI where each
device on a bus can send data at the same time until the bus bandwidth
is saturated. Having both active drives on the same channel will slow
things down. Also, if you copy CDs from one drive to your burner, it
is best to have them on separate channels.

Tom

!