Lockups with K8T NEO FIS2R MS-6702

jeremy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have an AMD 64 3000+ with a MS-6702 mobo, 2 512MB chips of Mushkin
Blue RAM, 480w power supply, SATA WD HD, and a Lite On DVD burner.
I've had it for almost 2 months and it will not remain stable. My RAM
settings are 2-3-3-11 with 2.5 volts. I've tried all sorts of
different settings and nothing seems to work. My current setting has
the CPU FSB down to 190 from 200. The Core Center program that came
with the board shows the CPU going above the 2000 range from time to
time and I thought maybe it was outperforming the RAM speeds so I
limited it to 190 and set the RAM to max at 200 (400 DDR). It works
fine for days and sometimes weeks, then all of a sudden it starts
freezing. Then if I reboot it continues to freeze until I make some
RAM setting change in the BIOS or power down completely first. It'll
freeze anywhere from POST to BIOS to Windows. It's gotta be hardware
related. What gives? Thanks!

I have similar problem except my mainboard is Intel 865G Neo2-PS Series. I
thought it was Core Center at first, but the problem remains after I
uninstall it.

I had tried to swap every piece of hardware with my old P4 machine. All the
new hardware runs great on my old P4 system. Eventually, I remove the PS2
adapter from my M$ mouse and connect it directly to USB port. The system has
not locked up so far.

I guess my problem might be related to some kind of conflict between
hardware irq. It also explains why my video card was flickering before. I do
not know which pieces of hardware conflict with each others, but one of them
is the PS mouse. You might want to check your system resource which might
reveals some problems.

"Jeremy" <jfields026@msn.com> wrote in message
> I have an AMD 64 3000+ with a MS-6702 mobo, 2 512MB chips of Mushkin
> Blue RAM, 480w power supply, SATA WD HD, and a Lite On DVD burner.
> I've had it for almost 2 months and it will not remain stable. My RAM
> settings are 2-3-3-11 with 2.5 volts. I've tried all sorts of
> different settings and nothing seems to work. My current setting has
> the CPU FSB down to 190 from 200. The Core Center program that came
> with the board shows the CPU going above the 2000 range from time to
> time and I thought maybe it was outperforming the RAM speeds so I
> limited it to 190 and set the RAM to max at 200 (400 DDR). It works
> fine for days and sometimes weeks, then all of a sudden it starts
> freezing. Then if I reboot it continues to freeze until I make some
> RAM setting change in the BIOS or power down completely first. It'll
> freeze anywhere from POST to BIOS to Windows. It's gotta be hardware
> related. What gives? Thanks!

I had the same problem with the 3000+ on this board. Then I set the
memoryclock down to 333 DDR and the CAS to 5. So far so good - but it's
only been less than 2 weeks since I made these changes. It also stopped
detecting the lan. I then disabled it in the bios and installed a PCI nic -
annoying, but maybe it made the board more stable(?). I did read somewhere
that the 754 cpu was engineered when the latest memory spec was PC2700, i.e.
DDR333.

"Jeremy" <jfields026@msn.com> wrote in message
>I have an AMD 64 3000+ with a MS-6702 mobo, 2 512MB chips of Mushkin
> Blue RAM, 480w power supply, SATA WD HD, and a Lite On DVD burner.
> I've had it for almost 2 months and it will not remain stable. My RAM
> settings are 2-3-3-11 with 2.5 volts. I've tried all sorts of
> different settings and nothing seems to work. My current setting has
> the CPU FSB down to 190 from 200. The Core Center program that came
> with the board shows the CPU going above the 2000 range from time to
> time and I thought maybe it was outperforming the RAM speeds so I
> limited it to 190 and set the RAM to max at 200 (400 DDR). It works
> fine for days and sometimes weeks, then all of a sudden it starts
> freezing. Then if I reboot it continues to freeze until I make some
> RAM setting change in the BIOS or power down completely first. It'll
> freeze anywhere from POST to BIOS to Windows. It's gotta be hardware
> related. What gives? Thanks!

jeremy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Just an update. I'm still going with my wireless keyboard, but I
disabled (checked really because it was already disabled, I don't
understand how it was working) USB legacy support and I'm using PS2
vs. USB. I talked to MSI again and asked about any compatibility
issues with any of my parts, they suggested manually setting the
voltage on my video card and raising it slightly. I did, it still
locked up. I change the RAM settings all around and I read somewhere
that this board likes it's RAM settings tighter rather than looser. I
set them to 400 MHz, 2-3-3-6. It still locked up. Above, John was
saying that some of the AMD chips were made without full support for
400 MHz RAM and since the RAM controller resides on the chip I decided
to limit my RAM speed to 333 MHz and left the other settings at
2-3-3-6 (which is the SPD recommendations although SPD calls for 400
MHz). This is the 6th day and so far so good. Usually something
would have happened by now, but there's still time. Thanks again.