Wireless network setup! please help

Hi. I'm trying to set up a wireless network over three
computers. All three of the computers are connected
through the internet, through my computer. I have a
Linksys wireless router, and both of the other desktops
have wireless adapters in them already, but not mine (I
am not sure if I need one or not for a network). I have
tried many things to get the computers connected for file
sharing (which is all I really want, besides an internet
connection). I have tried setting up a new connection, a
wireless connection, a network. None of these work, or
maybe I'm just doing it wrong. Could someone please help
me with my problem? Thanks! -Jared
5 answers Last reply
More about wireless network setup help

    Hi, Jared -

    You might want to take a look at

    http://www.ezine.com/TechTips/BuildingWireless.shtml

    Hope this helps,
    --
    William L. Whipple
    WWW.EZine.Com

    "Jared" <Jared@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi. I'm trying to set up a wireless network over three
    > computers. All three of the computers are connected
    > through the internet, through my computer. I have a
    > Linksys wireless router, and both of the other desktops
    > have wireless adapters in them already, but not mine (I
    > am not sure if I need one or not for a network). I have
    > tried many things to get the computers connected for file
    > sharing (which is all I really want, besides an internet
    > connection). I have tried setting up a new connection, a
    > wireless connection, a network. None of these work, or
    > maybe I'm just doing it wrong. Could someone please help
    > me with my problem? Thanks! -Jared

    ok thanks, I'll give it a try

    "WLW" wrote:

    > Hi, Jared -
    >
    > You might want to take a look at
    >
    > http://www.ezine.com/TechTips/BuildingWireless.shtml
    >
    > Hope this helps,
    > --
    > William L. Whipple
    > WWW.EZine.Com
    >

    > "Jared" <Jared@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi. I'm trying to set up a wireless network over three
    > > computers. All three of the computers are connected
    > > through the internet, through my computer. I have a
    > > Linksys wireless router, and both of the other desktops
    > > have wireless adapters in them already, but not mine (I
    > > am not sure if I need one or not for a network). I have
    > > tried many things to get the computers connected for file
    > > sharing (which is all I really want, besides an internet
    > > connection). I have tried setting up a new connection, a
    > > wireless connection, a network. None of these work, or
    > > maybe I'm just doing it wrong. Could someone please help
    > > me with my problem? Thanks! -Jared

    I found that article incredibly confusing. For instance, it was written with
    the ONE interface for the ONE router in mind...

    Hi

    Unfortunately there is a confusion that derive from the usage of words like
    Sharing (for Internet Sharing and File Sharing), and security (to Internet
    security and Wireless security.

    The two types of Sharing and two type of security are not practically
    related one to the other beside the fact that they both have to do with
    Network computers.

    If you can use the Internet from all the Networked computers it means that
    you can share the Internet and that there is a connection between your
    computers and the switch on the Router.

    At this point if you want to share files between the Networked computers you
    have to configure the Network's Sharing setting on each computer (this
    process is the same for wired or and wireless connection, and has nothing to
    do with Internet Sharing).

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "RJB" <RJB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I found that article incredibly confusing. For instance, it was written
    with
    > the ONE interface for the ONE router in mind...

    I'm sorry you found it confusing.

    People often get confused with Wireless Networking, Wireless Ad-Hoc
    Networks, Wireless Infrastructure-Mode Networks, Microsoft Windows Networks,
    Workgroups, Domains, Microsoft Domain Names, Internet Domain Names... Too
    many similar names for things that are different.

    Don't worry, if it was easy we wouldn't need support groups.

    Please see my response to your other posting.
    I hope it helps,
    --
    William L. Whipple
    WWW.EZine.Com

    "RJB" <RJB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I found that article incredibly confusing. For instance, it was written
    >with
    > the ONE interface for the ONE router in mind...

Wireless Wireless Network Computers Wireless Networking