Microsoft: Windows 8 Can Boot Up Too Quickly

Status
Not open for further replies.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Don't care. I almost never turn off or reboot my computer, but I do use multiple screens and the Start Menu. I guess I'm one of those dinosaurs who's too afraid of change to ditch my PC and get a tablet instead.

Regor245

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
[citation][nom]Jerda[/nom]Looks like garbage to me. Windows 7 is the next Windows XP.[/citation]

So Windows 8 is the next Vista?

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]Goldengoose[/nom]Is that 7 seconds with or without an SSD?[/citation]
My POS netbook cold booted, including POST, in around 12 seconds. No SSD, just an el-cheapo 5400 RPM drive.

Windows 8 boots insanely fast. Comes out of hibernation and becomes usable in less than a second with an SSD on my desktop. My monitors are slower than that.

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
[citation][nom]Regor245[/nom]So Windows 8 is the next Vista?[/citation] Windows 8 is not the new vista and never will be. I bet 9 out of 10 people would choose VistaSP2 over Win8 any day just for the start button/menu alone.

kaisellgren

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2007
I do wonder why most people do not turn their computers off. It seriously degrades the lifespan of your computer (especially the PSU). It also uses some power, unless we are using sleep/hibernate. I understand if we talk about servers though.

dauntekong

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
Windows 3.1 = ehhh it's a start
Windows 95 = getting better
Windows 98 = Good
Windows ME = Bad
Windows XP = Good
Windows Vista = Bad
Windows 7 = Good
Windows 8 = Bad
Wait for the next Windows = Good I hope

That's Microsoft's line of product.

afrobacon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
As someone who shuts down his PC on a regular basis (why waste energy when your not using it?) I can say the 8 second boot time makes up for the inconvenience of the start screen. Fix the search function and I wouldn't be tempted to go back to 7.

rb420

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Don't care. I almost never turn off or reboot my computer, but I do use multiple screens and the Start Menu. I guess I'm one of those dinosaurs who's too afraid of change to ditch my PC and get a tablet instead.[/citation]

Don't let that make you feel like a dinosaur. I'm under 30 and feel the same way!

afrobacon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
As someone who shuts down his PC on a regular basis (why waste energy when your not using it?) I can say the 8 second boot time makes up for the inconvenience of the start screen. Fix the search function and I wouldn't be tempted to go back to 7.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
people need to learn how to relax...so what if a computer takes 7 or 45 seconds to boot...slow down and drink a cup of tea...you will feel better :)

G

@ jerda

if your going base your os decision on looks i suggest osx, otherwise just stick with 7 if your don't like improved boot times, better file copy/delete implementation, better networking stack, improved task manger, better wifi management, improved multi display support, easier system maintenance, superior thread scheduler....

Sigh, Metro is only the UI implemention, now of you want to whine about the changes they made under the hood then i can understand, but to bitch and whine and boycott an os purely on its UI does not make sense to me

silvermember

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]people need to learn how to relax...so what if a computer takes 7 or 45 seconds to boot...slow down and drink a cup of tea...you will feel better[/citation]
What if you don't drink coffee because it's disgusting or has no effect on you (i m both).

But more importantly, maybe I want to do something real quick and waiting for 45 secs might be a little too long for my liking.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Works for me.
Even with Windows7, I've missed the F8 window with todays hardwar, especially with an SSD. Having a real menu or a command to do so on restart is fine.

There are times I needed to do an F8 and forget (multi-tasking). A good example is Windows7 stupid issue of corrupt icons in the Start Menu that can only be fixed by going into safe mode, then reboot normally. (This is very retarded).

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]kaisellgren[/nom]I do wonder why most people do not turn their computers off. It seriously degrades the lifespan of your computer (especially the PSU). It also uses some power, unless we are using sleep/hibernate. I understand if we talk about servers though.[/citation]

Boot times are too long. :) Frankly, 7 seconds would also be too long. And sleep mode is low power. Also, I get to upgrade long before wear and tear becomes an issue. Yeah, and I hear other people download torrents all the time.

jurassic512

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
[citation][nom]silvermember[/nom]What if you don't drink coffee because it's disgusting or has no effect on you (i m both). But more importantly, maybe I want to do something real quick and waiting for 45 secs might be a little too long for my liking.[/citation]

He said TEA!

Status
Not open for further replies.