Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows 7 driver for ATA Hitachi HTS725032A9A364

Last response: in Windows 7
February 8, 2011 9:25:36 PM

Hello,

I have recently bought a HP G72 laptop with windows 7 installed and tried installing Ubuntu as dual boot. However ubuntu failed to recognize the partitions properly and I ended up corrupting the windows installation. I tried reinstalling windows 7 again using a CD came along with a dell laptop, but failed to install as it couldn't find the right driver. I tried searching ATA Hitachi HTS725032A9A364 compatible driver, but couldn't find one. Could anyone please let me know where I can find the same.

Thanks
Sathish

Best solution

a b \ Driver
a b D Laptop
a c 371 $ Windows 7
February 9, 2011 12:16:45 AM

Did you do a clean install with format!
February 9, 2011 8:54:57 AM

while installing ubuntu I tried several things including formatting the partition and keeping it as a free space. Every time the partition size was displayed differently on windows and ubuntu. So I guessed something is going wrong, but didn't realize it will corrupt windows7 partition as I have selected the free space and installed ubuntu there.
I haven't tried formatting the windows partition before windows 7 reinstall as I wasn't sure that will really solve the issue. Are you suggesting me to try that and reinstall windows7?
Related resources
a b \ Driver
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
February 9, 2011 2:16:16 PM

HP have a recovery partition to reinstall from, unless you have trashed it when installing Ubuntu, you did make a set of backup dvds from within windows didn't you, no, I thought not!

Windows isn't looking for a sata driver for the hdd, but for the chipset, surprised that it doesn't pick it up automatically, as my sons G72 does this, but that could be becasuse its a Dell disk and not a standard OEM Windows disk.
February 16, 2011 9:21:59 AM

I haven't taken any backup. I did contact HP and they sent a detailed procedure to recover it from HP recover manager. After that I tried reinstalling it again with the same Dell CD, this time formatting all the partitions used by windows earlier. To my surprise it just worked! I tried installing ubuntu again to check whether it would be able to detect the partitions properly, and that worked fine too. Things are fine now, but I have no idea why first ubuntu installation failed to detect the partitions and windows complained saying it can't find any drives.
February 16, 2011 9:22:10 AM

Best answer selected by sathishpy.
!