Partitioning USB thumb drive

Nathan

Hi there,

I'm trying to partition a 128MB USB thumb drive. I'd like to have a
small (~20MB) partition to store things like SSH keys, my X.509
certificate, etc. Ideally, it would be nice to make this parition
read-only to prevent accidential changes (the thumb drive doesn't have a
switch or anything). The rest of the drive should just be a normal
partition for storing every-day files on.

I was able change the partition table so that the drive has a 20MB FAT16
partition and a 100MB FAT16 partition, however Windows XP only assigns a
drive letter to the first (20MB) partition. When I try to assign a
drive letter to the second partition in Disk Management, I get the error
"The operation did not complete because the partition or volume is not
enabled".

How can I convince XP to recognize both partitions?

Thanks,

Nathan

Depending of the USB flash drive, several models can be set up with a secure
section, with a password access, for storing sensitive data.

The ones I know of:

Sandisk Cruser Mini
Laxar JumpDrive Secure