  • SATA
  • Enclosure
  • Windows XP
February 15, 2005 8:38:29 PM

Does anyone know if it is possible/advisable to connect and use a SATA hard
disk inside an external hard disc enclosure ( connected to pc with USB or
Firewire) ?

I have used the enclosure to house a PATA/IDE drive with no problem but
wondered whether there were any compatibility issues with the SATA drive. I
have the empty enclosure and spare SATA drive so would like to put them to
use.

TIA

Sam

More about : sata disk external enclosure

Anonymous
February 15, 2005 8:38:30 PM

Depends on the enclosure, it's made _either_ for a PATA or a SATA drive....

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"Sam" <sam@dsst.nosnoop.com> kirjoitti viestissä
> Does anyone know if it is possible/advisable to connect and use a SATA
hard
> disk inside an external hard disc enclosure ( connected to pc with USB or
> Firewire) ?
>
> I have used the enclosure to house a PATA/IDE drive with no problem but
> wondered whether there were any compatibility issues with the SATA drive.
> have the empty enclosure and spare SATA drive so would like to put them to
> use.
>
> TIA
>
> Sam

February 16, 2005 10:48:55 AM

Ahh,thanks Thomas and Jeffrey,

I gather then that enclosures can not house either a SATA or PATA (at
different times) but rather only ever one or the other, correct?As this
enclosure has worked with a PATA in the past then it can't work with a SATA?

Sam

"Thomas Wendell" wrote in message
> Depends on the enclosure, it's made _either_ for a PATA or a SATA
> drive....

> Tumppi
> Reply to group
> Most learned on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
> Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)
> (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)
>

> "Sam" <sam@dsst.nosnoop.com> kirjoitti viestissä
>> Does anyone know if it is possible/advisable to connect and use a SATA
> hard
>> disk inside an external hard disc enclosure ( connected to pc with USB or
>> Firewire) ?
>>
>> I have used the enclosure to house a PATA/IDE drive with no problem but
>> wondered whether there were any compatibility issues with the SATA drive.
>> have the empty enclosure and spare SATA drive so would like to put them
>> use.
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Sam

Related resources
February 16, 2005 10:48:56 AM

You need to buy a case specifically designed for SATA and the Notebook or
Desktop computer must have external Serial ATA port.

As an example:
http://www.coolerexpress.com/by3seata150e.html

To put external SATA support on a desktop is easy: just buy an SATA External
Port Pass-Through Bracket Extention: it plugs onto the Mobo SATA port and
allows for you to connect the external unit without leaving a hole in the PC.

http://www.xpcgear.com/sataptbracket.html

"jeffrey" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If you don`t have the cable connectors for SATA in that external case, then
> it will not work with a SATA drive. Most enclosures or external cases are
> designed for certian hardware, usually not universal for multiple things.
> Without more detail about the enclosurer your using, I can`t give you a
> better answer.
>
> Jeff
>
> "Sam" <sam@dsst.nosnoop.com> wrote in message
> news:o ts0K$5EFHA.2176@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> > Ahh,thanks Thomas and Jeffrey,
> >
> > I gather then that enclosures can not house either a SATA or PATA (at
> > different times) but rather only ever one or the other, correct?As this
> > enclosure has worked with a PATA in the past then it can't work with a
> > SATA?
> >
> > Sam
> >

> > "Thomas Wendell" wrote in message
> >> Depends on the enclosure, it's made _either_ for a PATA or a SATA
> >> drive....
> >

> >> Tumppi
> >> Reply to group
> >> =================================================
> >> Most learned on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
> >> Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)
> >> (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)
> >> =================================================
> >>

> >> "Sam" <sam@dsst.nosnoop.com> kirjoitti viestiss・
> >> hard

February 19, 2005 12:29:00 PM

Yes thank you,this clears things up for me and led to some other interesting
findings.

For the benefit of lurkers you can also buy PCI SATA controller/host cards,
some with external ports as well as internal ports and some with hardware
RAID support. All this affords an amazing potential for hooking up external
SATA drives (some direct to MOBO or some connected to a PCI card , or both)
with virtually unlimited storage and backup capacity utilizing lightning
fast SATA bandwidth ( way faster than FW 400/800 or USB2). Also fantastic
for video editing etc.

Sam

news:D 9D99446-B6AF-48AD-9E95-EDFDC1BF2496@microsoft.com...
> You need to buy a case specifically designed for SATA and the Notebook or
> Desktop computer must have external Serial ATA port.
>
> As an example:
> http://www.coolerexpress.com/by3seata150e.html
>
> To put external SATA support on a desktop is easy: just buy an SATA
> External
> Port Pass-Through Bracket Extention: it plugs onto the Mobo SATA port and
> allows for you to connect the external unit without leaving a hole in the
> PC.
>
> http://www.xpcgear.com/sataptbracket.html
>

> "jeffrey" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> If you don`t have the cable connectors for SATA in that external case,
>> then
>> it will not work with a SATA drive. Most enclosures or external cases
>> are
>> designed for certian hardware, usually not universal for multiple things.
>> Without more detail about the enclosurer your using, I can`t give you a
>> better answer.
>>
>> Jeff
>>
>> "Sam" <sam@dsst.nosnoop.com> wrote in message
>> news:o ts0K$5EFHA.2176@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> > Ahh,thanks Thomas and Jeffrey,
>> >
>> > I gather then that enclosures can not house either a SATA or PATA (at
>> > different times) but rather only ever one or the other, correct?As this
>> > enclosure has worked with a PATA in the past then it can't work with a
>> > SATA?
>> >
>> > Sam

Anonymous
March 1, 2005 3:30:46 AM

Sam Wrote:
> "... Does anyone know if it is possible/advisable to connect and use a
> SATA hard disk inside an external hard disc enclosure..."Well, here is the approach taken by a -"noobie"- to these boards:

(1) procured a Bytecc ME-320U2 USB 2.0 external enclosure kit with
integral power supply and cooling fan;

(2) procured a 120GB Maxtor L01M120 SATA HDD with both 4-pin and SATA
power receptacles;

(3) procured a SATA external port pass-through bracket extension and
connected its cable to SATA port on Asus P4R800V Deluxe systemboard;

(4) removed audio port from rear panel of enclosure and clipped away
enough metal in vicinity to allow a SATA cable to pass through;

(5) plugged in enclosure power supply to SATA HDD -via- 4-pin connector
and then mounted HDD on enclosure base;

(6) connected SATA cable to HDD and routed same through enlarged
opening before sealing up the enclosure;

(7) set Asus BIOS to recognize an _internal_ SATA HDD; and

(8) upon bootup used Partition Magic 8.0 to format SATA HDD as a single
extended partition with one NTFS logical drive and one FAT32 logical
drive.

Whether you use USB 2.0 _or_ FireWire, external storage driver settings
can sometimes be troublesome. For instance, the bridge chipset/device
controller setup of the ALi M5621 residing in the ME-320U2 can create
considerable grief for users of Norton Ghost 2003 - *but I simply
bypassed the USB 2.0 aspect formally employed with a IDE HDD.* As far
as the system is concerned, the Maxtor SATA HDD is mounted internally.

--
El Pescador
El Pescador's Profile: http://forum.osnn.net/member.php?userid=8322