SMC Wireless

My SMC card only works in the same room as the router. It has been on full
power, and I have trieed everything. If there is anyone that can help me, it
would be great,

Thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about wireless

    Please post more information:

    Are you running 802.11a, 802.11b, or 802.11g?
    Many 802.11a wireless will not go through some walls, by design.

    What equipment are you using for the router? What type of wireless? What
    O/S?

    Also important:

    - What type of construction is in the walls? Metal Studs? Re-Bar in
    concrete? Metal doors?
    - Are there any obstructions? Metal cabinets? Electrical or electronic
    equipment?
    - Are there any interference signals? Electric Motors? Microwave ovens?
    Elevators? Refrigerators? Wireless Phones? Garage door openers? Other
    wireless networks?
    --
    William L. Whipple
    WWW.EZine.Com

    "Darren" <Darren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My SMC card only works in the same room as the router. It has been on
    > full
    > power, and I have trieed everything. If there is anyone that can help me,
    > it
    > would be great,
    >
    > Thanks

    Okay, my O/S is XP Pro, but it has worked before, and just recently, the card
    was snapped at the seam between the black part and the silver. I put it back
    together, and now it doesn't work, unless it is right next to the router. I
    have drywall for my walls, its at home.

    Thanks for the reply

    "WLW" wrote:

    > Please post more information:
    >
    > Are you running 802.11a, 802.11b, or 802.11g?
    > Many 802.11a wireless will not go through some walls, by design.
    >
    > What equipment are you using for the router? What type of wireless? What
    > O/S?
    >
    > Also important:
    >
    > - What type of construction is in the walls? Metal Studs? Re-Bar in
    > concrete? Metal doors?
    > - Are there any obstructions? Metal cabinets? Electrical or electronic
    > equipment?
    > - Are there any interference signals? Electric Motors? Microwave ovens?
    > Elevators? Refrigerators? Wireless Phones? Garage door openers? Other
    > wireless networks?
    > --
    > William L. Whipple
    > WWW.EZine.Com
    >

    > "Darren" <Darren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > My SMC card only works in the same room as the router. It has been on
    > > full
    > > power, and I have trieed everything. If there is anyone that can help me,
    > > it
    > > would be great,
    > >
    > > Thanks

    It sounds like you may have broken the antenna connection on the card, or
    loosened a connection to the antenna, when the card snapped. If that is the
    only thing that changed when the problem started, then that is probably the
    cause.

    --

    > Okay, my O/S is XP Pro, but it has worked before, and just recently, the
    > card
    > was snapped at the seam between the black part and the silver. I put it
    > back
    > together, and now it doesn't work, unless it is right next to the router.
    > have drywall for my walls, its at home.
    >
    > Thanks for the reply
    >
    > "WLW" wrote:
    >
    >> Please post more information:
    >>
    >> Are you running 802.11a, 802.11b, or 802.11g?
    >> Many 802.11a wireless will not go through some walls, by design.
    >>
    >> What equipment are you using for the router? What type of wireless? What
    >> O/S?
    >>
    >> Also important:
    >>
    >> - What type of construction is in the walls? Metal Studs? Re-Bar in
    >> concrete? Metal doors?
    >> - Are there any obstructions? Metal cabinets? Electrical or electronic
    >> equipment?
    >> - Are there any interference signals? Electric Motors? Microwave ovens?
    >> Elevators? Refrigerators? Wireless Phones? Garage door openers? Other
    >> wireless networks?
    >> --
    >> William L. Whipple
    >> WWW.EZine.Com
    >>

    >> "Darren" <Darren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > My SMC card only works in the same room as the router. It has been on
    >> > full
    >> > power, and I have trieed everything. If there is anyone that can help
    >> > me,
    >> > it
    >> > would be great,
    >> >
    >> > Thanks

    Thank you very much, but would you - or anyone else - happen to know, how I'd
    be able to fix it, or where I'd be able to buy a new one in Ontario (Canada).
    I got it in Best Buy, but they don't sell them anymore.

    "WLW" wrote:

    > It sounds like you may have broken the antenna connection on the card, or
    > loosened a connection to the antenna, when the card snapped. If that is the
    > only thing that changed when the problem started, then that is probably the
    > cause.
    >
    > --
    > William L. Whipple
    > WWW.EZine.Com
    >

    > "Darren" <Darren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Okay, my O/S is XP Pro, but it has worked before, and just recently, the
    > > card
    > > was snapped at the seam between the black part and the silver. I put it
    > > back
    > > together, and now it doesn't work, unless it is right next to the router.
    > > have drywall for my walls, its at home.
    > >
    > > Thanks for the reply
    > >
    > > "WLW" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Please post more information:
    > >>
    > >> Are you running 802.11a, 802.11b, or 802.11g?
    > >> Many 802.11a wireless will not go through some walls, by design.
    > >>
    > >> What equipment are you using for the router? What type of wireless? What
    > >> O/S?
    > >>
    > >> Also important:
    > >>
    > >> - What type of construction is in the walls? Metal Studs? Re-Bar in
    > >> concrete? Metal doors?
    > >> - Are there any obstructions? Metal cabinets? Electrical or electronic
    > >> equipment?
    > >> - Are there any interference signals? Electric Motors? Microwave ovens?
    > >> Elevators? Refrigerators? Wireless Phones? Garage door openers? Other
    > >> wireless networks?
    > >> --
    > >> William L. Whipple
    > >> WWW.EZine.Com
    > >>

    > >> "Darren" <Darren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Most wireless equipment is available across the web. I actually use
    Amazon.Com for a lot of stuff.

    You could try going to SMC's web site and checking if they list any
    retailers in your area, too.
    --

    > Thank you very much, but would you - or anyone else - happen to know, how
    > I'd
    > be able to fix it, or where I'd be able to buy a new one in Ontario
    > (Canada).
    > I got it in Best Buy, but they don't sell them anymore.
    >
    > "WLW" wrote:
    >
    >> It sounds like you may have broken the antenna connection on the card, or
    >> loosened a connection to the antenna, when the card snapped. If that is
    >> the
    >> only thing that changed when the problem started, then that is probably
    >> the
    >> cause.
    >>
    >> --
    >> William L. Whipple
    >> WWW.EZine.Com
    >>

    >> "Darren" <Darren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Okay, my O/S is XP Pro, but it has worked before, and just recently,
    >> > the
    >> > card
    >> > was snapped at the seam between the black part and the silver. I put
    >> > it
    >> > back
    >> > together, and now it doesn't work, unless it is right next to the
    >> > router.
    >> > have drywall for my walls, its at home.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks for the reply

Wireless SMC Wireless Networking