Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

IDE Hard disk reverts from DMA to PIO

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 3:36:15 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

My mum's PC has an Aopen AX34 mobo and I installed WinXP Home SP2 on her
new Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB IDE HDD. It seemed to be running really slow, and
I discovered this was due to the hard disk running in PIO mode (not DMA)..
I've read up on this and tried everything suggested (swapped 80-wire IDE
cables, uninstalled IDE controller, set DMA failure counter to reset after
success) and still it won't come out of PIO.

The 2nd IDE channel (connected to CDRW and DVD-ROM) works fine in DMA mode.

I've tried upgrading the BIOS, but no change.
I ran several hard disk testing programs (from Ultimate Boot CD) and it
comes up as healthy, but I'm wondering if I have a faulty IDE controller..

System Event logs in XP show six "atapi" code 9 errors: "The device,
\Device\Ide\IdePort0, did not respond within the timeout period." followed
by "atapi" code 11 error: "The driver detected a controller error on
\Device\Ide\IdePort0."

Anyone got any ideas what I can do?
I just had an idea of running the HDD from the second IDE channel, and the
optical drives from the first. Just in case the primary IDE controller is
faulty. Would WinXP work with this config?

Michael

--
Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 4:02:59 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Hi Carey

Yep, I knew about the 6-errors-you're-out thing. At least it's a timeout
and not CRC error.

I swapped a 24" long 80-wire IDE ribbon for a shorter one (and made sure
blue went to mobo and grey plug to the master HDD), so that's ok.
Incidentally the longer cable worked on my own PC fine, and I swapped it
with a cable that was working on mine previously.

Mum's machine already has SP2 installed (installed from nLite streamlined
XP Home install CD, no components removed).

I tried uninstalling the IDE channels and they still redetected on bootup
(with long delay) into PIO mode.

I already installed the latest VIA 4-in-1 drivers (legacy ones they said
worked better with AX34's Apollo 133 chipset).

I ran PowerMax before, and ran every test, and it came up 100%!

Still lost.

<cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:




--
Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 4:11:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

If the board uses an intel chipset 850,845,or less,then download the
application
accelerator from intel,you can set the controlers to run in whatever speed
you
set them at.If the chipset is higher,then select modes in the BIOS.

"G. Michael Askew" wrote:

> My mum's PC has an Aopen AX34 mobo and I installed WinXP Home SP2 on her
> new Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB IDE HDD. It seemed to be running really slow, and
> I discovered this was due to the hard disk running in PIO mode (not DMA)..
> I've read up on this and tried everything suggested (swapped 80-wire IDE
> cables, uninstalled IDE controller, set DMA failure counter to reset after
> success) and still it won't come out of PIO.
>
> The 2nd IDE channel (connected to CDRW and DVD-ROM) works fine in DMA mode.
>
> I've tried upgrading the BIOS, but no change.
> I ran several hard disk testing programs (from Ultimate Boot CD) and it
> comes up as healthy, but I'm wondering if I have a faulty IDE controller..
>
> System Event logs in XP show six "atapi" code 9 errors: "The device,
> \Device\Ide\IdePort0, did not respond within the timeout period." followed
> by "atapi" code 11 error: "The driver detected a controller error on
> \Device\Ide\IdePort0."
>
> Anyone got any ideas what I can do?
> I just had an idea of running the HDD from the second IDE channel, and the
> optical drives from the first. Just in case the primary IDE controller is
> faulty. Would WinXP work with this config?
>
> Michael
>
> --
> Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/
>
Related resources
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 1:27:33 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Nope, the chipset is VIA Apollo, not Intel

Andrew E. <eckrichco@msn.com> wrote:
> If the board uses an intel chipset 850,845,or less,then download the
> application
> accelerator from intel,you can set the controlers to run in whatever

--
Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 3:27:28 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

G. Michael Askew wrote:

>Nope, the chipset is VIA Apollo, not Intel

Then I would look at the Via site for their latest '4 in 1' drivers


--
Alex Nichol MS MVP (Windows Technologies)
Bournemouth, U.K. Alexn@mvps.D8E8L.org (remove the D8 bit)
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 3:50:17 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

G. Michael Askew wrote:

>
>I tried uninstalling the IDE channels and they still redetected on bootup
>(with long delay) into PIO mode.

From all you say I can only think that there is genuine hardware trouble
with the motherboard controllers, thus generating an unacceptable error
rate


--
Alex Nichol MS MVP (Windows Technologies)
Bournemouth, U.K. Alexn@mvps.D8E8L.org (remove the D8 bit)
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 5:09:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I was afraid of that! Although the mobo's been working fine for 2 years
with a Seagate 13GB drive, and the problems only really started when I
added the Maxtor 80GB. Windows ME (as was installed then) would only run
in MS-DOS Compat mode while the Maxtor was connected. Disconnected, it ran
in Real Mode.
I thought it was a Windows problem so installed WinXP (fresh on the new
Maxtor HDD). Funny...connecting the old hard disk as a slave, it didn't
show up in Windows, but did in Knoppix Linux.

Either it's the Maxtor 80 causing all the trouble (which means another £35
for a replacement...too late to return to Ebuyer) or the HDD controller on
Mobo is faulty.

If I added a PCI IDE controller, would it be possible to cold-boot from a
HDD on that controller, or does it need drivers first?



Alex Nichol <alexn.mvpdts@ntlworld.delete.com> wrote:
>>
>> I tried uninstalling the IDE channels and they still redetected on
>> bootup
>> (with long delay) into PIO mode.
>
> From all you say I can only think that there is genuine hardware trouble
> with the motherboard controllers, thus generating an unacceptable error
> rate
>
>



--
Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 7:02:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Yeah, I set the jumper to Master anyway, but I'll try swapping the
connectors.




Trent© <trentsauder@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> I swapped a 24" long 80-wire IDE ribbon for a shorter one (and made sure
>> blue went to mobo and grey plug to the master HDD),
>
> On CS, gray doesn't go to the master.
>
> As I suggested before, change your jumpers to manual select.




--
Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/
February 17, 2005 11:03:42 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

You need to read Knowledge Base article 817472,
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817472 scroll down
to near the end where it tells how to put two new keys into the registry,
then delete the IDE controllers in device manager and reboot. You will now
be able to select 'DMA if available' in device manager and when you next
reboot DMA will work, at least it did on one of my PCs!

"G. Michael Askew" <michael@nospamaskewonline.co.uk> wrote in message
news:o psl9lapwm43ihpu@gma1.mshome.net...
My mum's PC has an Aopen AX34 mobo and I installed WinXP Home SP2 on her
new Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB IDE HDD. It seemed to be running really slow, and
I discovered this was due to the hard disk running in PIO mode (not DMA).
I've read up on this and tried everything suggested (swapped 80-wire IDE
cables, uninstalled IDE controller, set DMA failure counter to reset after
success) and still it won't come out of PIO.

The 2nd IDE channel (connected to CDRW and DVD-ROM) works fine in DMA mode.

I've tried upgrading the BIOS, but no change.
I ran several hard disk testing programs (from Ultimate Boot CD) and it
comes up as healthy, but I'm wondering if I have a faulty IDE controller.

System Event logs in XP show six "atapi" code 9 errors: "The device,
\Device\Ide\IdePort0, did not respond within the timeout period." followed
by "atapi" code 11 error: "The driver detected a controller error on
\Device\Ide\IdePort0."

Anyone got any ideas what I can do?
I just had an idea of running the HDD from the second IDE channel, and the
optical drives from the first. Just in case the primary IDE controller is
faulty. Would WinXP work with this config?

Michael

--
Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 11:48:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Yep, I did that. Both deleting them in Device Manager, and deleting the
checksum in the registry. Still same result.



M <spamtrap@spambouncer.org> wrote:
> You need to read Knowledge Base article 817472,
> to near the end where it tells how to put two new keys into the registry,
> then delete the IDE controllers in device manager and reboot. You will
> now
> be able to select 'DMA if available' in device manager and when you next
> reboot DMA will work, at least it did on one of my PCs!
>


--
Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/
February 18, 2005 12:51:23 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

There is no reason not to run the hard drive from the second IDE channel and
the optical drives from the first. You may have to reconfigure the order of
boot in the BIOS. I would suspect that is more likely a faulty hard drive
or IDE cable (my guess is the cable). You should check the hard drive and
motherboard IDE socket for damaged pins. If it turns out to be a faulty IDE
controller on the motherboard you could install an IDE controller (RAID)
card although replacing the motherboard might not cost a lot more.
"G. Michael Askew" <michael@nospamaskewonline.co.uk> wrote in message
news:o psmcz3ufz43ihpu@gma1.mshome.net...
> Yep, I did that. Both deleting them in Device Manager, and deleting the
> checksum in the registry. Still same result.
>
>
>
> M <spamtrap@spambouncer.org> wrote:
>> You need to read Knowledge Base article 817472,
>> to near the end where it tells how to put two new keys into the registry,
>> then delete the IDE controllers in device manager and reboot. You will
>> now
>> be able to select 'DMA if available' in device manager and when you next
>> reboot DMA will work, at least it did on one of my PCs!
>>
>
>
> --
> Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 2:18:04 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I've swapped the cable from a new, longer cable (80-wire) to an older
shorter one that was on my own PC, so it's not that. I'll have a closer
look at the connections/pins tomorrow.
A new IDE controller would be a lot cheaper than a mobo because it's a
2002 socket 370 celeron mobo using SDRAM, so unless I found another
similar mobo on ebay it'd be a new mobo, cpu, and some DDR Ram.

How feasable is booting from a HDD on an IDE controller card? I'm
wondering about drivers
and/or setting the boot order in BIOS.


M <spamtrap@spambouncer.org> wrote:
> There is no reason not to run the hard drive from the second IDE channel
> I would suspect that is more likely a faulty hard drive
> or IDE cable (my guess is the cable). If it turns out to be a faulty IDE
> controller on the motherboard you could install an IDE controller (RAID)
> card although replacing the motherboard might not cost a lot more.
--
Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 7:07:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:35:14 -0500, Trent© <trentsauder@hotmail.com> wrote:

> 'It' being...the Maxtor?...or the old drive?

Maxtor (master) showed up on Windows, old Seagate (slave) didn't. The only
way to get both drives showing up was in Knoppix (which took ages to find
the partition info from the hard drives on booting).

--
Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 7:14:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Yep, used an ATA-133 40-pin, 80-conductor Ultra-IDE cable. Blue on one
end, grey in the middle, black on the other end.

Yet to try it without the optical drives on the Secondary IDE, but I did
run the Maxtor tests and they all came up clean.


On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:33:13 -0500, Trent© <trentsauder@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Are you sure yer usin' the proper cable?
>
> Make sure you have NO other drives of ANY kind connected to the
> computer.
>
> Did you run the Maxtor diagnostics as someone suggested?

--
Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 1:08:48 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I tried the Maxtor on it's own, no other drives. Still the same problem,
PIO mode.

So then I tried connecting it to the secondary IDE controller.
Autodetected ok in BIOS, and booted up faster than it's ever done, and
it's working in DMA mode!! YAY!

Plugged the optical drives (CDRW as master, DVD-ROM as slave) in the
Primary IDE, and they work too....more or less.
On booting into Windows, it went through the "Detected New Hardware -
CDRW" and "Detected New Hardware - DVD-ROM" a few times while I had the
Device Manager open. It was as if it was redetecting them and they were
being lost.

The event log gave a code 11 error again, this time for the CDROM, "The
driver detected a controller error on \Device\CdRom1.".

At least the machine's running faster now, and in DMA mode, so Winamp and
Media Player shouldn't jitter anymore.
Obviously it's either the Primary IDE controller or the connector itself
faulty. Coincedentally the event log also shows a problem with the Serial
port COM1 on bootup too,
"Event ID 36: While validating that \Device\Serial1 was really a serial
port, the contents of the divisor latch register was identical to the
interrupt enable and the receive registers. The device is assumed not to
be a serial port and will be deleted."

Anyway, many thanks to all that helped!

> Make sure you have NO other drives of ANY kind connected to the
> computer.
>


--
Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/
!