Pulling my hair out trying to install XP.

I'm having all sorts of problem with my PC.
It kept on rebooting.
I know I didn't have a virus.
I thought it was the memory.
But... after changing, the same problems occured.
This happened for 6 weeks.
Then the PC died. : (
Unrecoverable error (I've tried EVERYTHING to rescue!).
Then... I took the memory and hard disks out (3 of them).
I put these into a new PC and installed XP on a fresh machine.
AND: same damn problem, the PC kept on rebooting.
Then I installed XP on the old hard drive with the OS on.
AND............ same DAMN problem!

Where am I going wrong?
What could be the problme?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

OM

Pick the drive to be primary boot device.. install it into a system case..
you will also need a motherboard, memory, cpu, cd drive, ps.. assemble and
attach a screen, keyboard and mouse..

Install XP.. assuming that all hardware is detected, the load should go ok..
now add an HDD and see what happens.. if all is ok, add the third HDD.. see
what happens.. if everything is still ok, add more memory if you did not
install it first time around..

What you are trying to do here is to eliminate any possibly defective
parts..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"OM" <om.newsgroup@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm having all sorts of problem with my PC.
> It kept on rebooting.
> I know I didn't have a virus.
> I thought it was the memory.
> But... after changing, the same problems occured.
> This happened for 6 weeks.
> Then the PC died. : (
> Unrecoverable error (I've tried EVERYTHING to rescue!).
> Then... I took the memory and hard disks out (3 of them).
> I put these into a new PC and installed XP on a fresh machine.
> AND: same damn problem, the PC kept on rebooting.
> Then I installed XP on the old hard drive with the OS on.
> AND............ same DAMN problem!
>
> Where am I going wrong?
> What could be the problme?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>

> OM

are you using a factory CD?
or are you using a burned copy?

if your using a burned copy with SP2 streamlined , you might have a bad
copy.
IF this is the case, have you tried installing from a factory disk?

--
EasyFeelings
A+

"When your computer is working good, That's an EasyFeeling"

both boxes are amd 2600.
i've kinda given up.
i'm losing money.
my pc is my life!
i'm getting a new one.
will figure out what the problem with the new one is a bit later.

bar

I had the same problem with a client PC and it proved to be the Mobo that was
their problem.

You have already moved the RAM and HDDs to a different Mobo, so let's assume
that it is not the Mobo that is at fault in your situation.

Typically XP or its component programmes will identify a failing hard drive
and signify errors that would lead to crashes. So with this in mid, I'd
suggest that the memory is at fault.

Use one module at a time and see if the problem goes away.

Another lesser cause may be that the power supply are not up to the job,
but you would try changing this as a last step in the diagnosis.