How to initialize a harddrive under WinXpPro

I have added a hard drive to my system. It is present in the Device Manager
and so I assume that all is installed correctly(drive is attached to a sunix
3700 IDE controller PCI card as all the other IDE port on the motherboard is
used by extra CDRW drives in the machine. I have installed the drivers for
the card) and under the properties (volumes tab, I think) it shows as "not
initialized" I have looked around and can not find any obvious way of doing
this. I have not installed a hard drive under a windows operating system
before Any help appreciated.
5 answers Last reply
More about initialize harddrive winxppro

    "craig254" <craig254@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have added a hard drive to my system. It is present in the Device
    >Manager
    > and so I assume that all is installed correctly(drive is attached to a
    > sunix
    > 3700 IDE controller PCI card as all the other IDE port on the motherboard
    > is
    > used by extra CDRW drives in the machine. I have installed the drivers for
    > the card) and under the properties (volumes tab, I think) it shows as
    > "not
    > initialized" I have looked around and can not find any obvious way of
    > doing
    > this. I have not installed a hard drive under a windows operating system
    > before Any help appreciated.

    Open "Disk Management" from within "Computer Management" (in Control Panel -
    Administrative Tools). This should prompt you to initialize and format the
    drive. If not, right-click the drive and do it manually.

    craig254 wrote:

    > I have added a hard drive to my system. It is present in the Device Manager
    > and so I assume that all is installed correctly(drive is attached to a sunix
    > 3700 IDE controller PCI card as all the other IDE port on the motherboard is
    > used by extra CDRW drives in the machine. I have installed the drivers for
    > the card) and under the properties (volumes tab, I think) it shows as "not
    > initialized" I have looked around and can not find any obvious way of doing
    > this. I have not installed a hard drive under a windows operating system
    > before Any help appreciated.

    On the Windows XP control panel double click Administrative Tools

    In administrative Tools window double click Computer Management

    In the left pane of the Computer Management window expand Storage (click
    the adjacent plus sign) and click Disk Management. You can then
    partition hard drives and format the partitions on the context menus
    (right click) for the objects in the lower section of the right pane.

    Thanks, that did it. I am not a big user of windows and don't really know my
    way around the system.

    One other question though is how many dirves can I put in the machine?
    there are no extra drive bays but with the Sunix card I could add three more
    using IDE cables with an extra pin set on them, I would need to use a couple
    of Y-power cables to route power to the extra drives. Is this safe? what
    sort of limits would the power supply to the machine have? there is space on
    the floor of the tower case to sit and with some modification bolt extra
    drives to. Are there reasons to not do this? (computer exploding) Is there
    another forum that I should ask this Question in?

    thanks Again

    craig254 wrote:

    > Thanks, that did it. I am not a big user of windows and don't really know my
    > way around the system.
    >
    > One other question though is how many dirves can I put in the machine?
    > there are no extra drive bays but with the Sunix card I could add three more
    > using IDE cables with an extra pin set on them, I would need to use a couple
    > of Y-power cables to route power to the extra drives. Is this safe? what
    > sort of limits would the power supply to the machine have? there is space on
    > the floor of the tower case to sit and with some modification bolt extra
    > drives to. Are there reasons to not do this? (computer exploding) Is there
    > another forum that I should ask this Question in?
    >
    > thanks Again

    You would need to determine the power consumption, in each voltage
    range, of your various computer components. Include the motherboard,
    CPU, cooling fans, perepheral cards and disk drives. Check the label on
    your power supply to see how many Watts it can handle. If the components
    you want to add push the total power requirements over the supply's
    capacity you may need to replace the power supply with a more powerfull
    unit. Be aware that many systems are built with fairly modest power
    supplys that can't handle very many extra drives.

    If you add many drives inside your computer you should consider
    additional case ventilation fans. Late model hard drives generate
    significant amounts of heat that can drive the tempreture of your
    computer case up. I've heard recommendations from people I trust that
    hard drives should be installed with empty spaces betwen them so that
    air can circulate betwen them better. There are also special adaptors on
    the market that not only allow 3 1/4 inch hard drives to be installed in
    5 1/4 floppy/CD bays, the adaptors include tiny fans to cool the hard drive.

    If the added cabinets and cables aren't a concern you could also add
    external USB 2.0 or firewire drives that are equiped with their own AC
    to DC converters.

    "DJ Borell" <dborell(remove)@techmedix.com> wrote:

    >Open "Disk Management" from within "Computer Management" (in Control Panel -
    >Administrative Tools). This should prompt you to initialize and format the
    >drive. If not, right-click the drive and do it manually.

    To add: Control Panel - Admin Tools - Computer Management, select Disk
    Management and look lower right for the graphic of the drive. R-click
    Unallocated space, Create partition

Hard Drives Windows XP