Yet another RAM question....

February 15, 2005 11:41:02 PM

Ok here is a serious noob question for a non-noob XP user:
I have dug through every possibly applicable folder and app. to find this
and just can't seem to get the info I need. So here is the noob part... where
do you go to find out how much RAM and type you have and how much your system
is capable of using efficiently?

More about : ram question

Anonymous
February 16, 2005 3:16:35 AM

"RAMbo" <RAMbo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ok here is a serious noob question for a non-noob XP user:
> I have dug through every possibly applicable folder and app. to find this
> and just can't seem to get the info I need. So here is the noob part...
> where
> do you go to find out how much RAM and type you have and how much your
> system
> is capable of using efficiently?

You can check how much RAM you have by going to System Properties
(right-click My Computer or in Control Panel.) To check what kind of RAM
you have, you'll need to consult your BIOS or download a program such as
SiSoftware Sandra.

To see what kind of / how much RAM your system will support, you'll need to
check the manual or the website for your motherboard.

Utilities such as SiSoftware will also (sometimes) tell you this, as well as
a lot more, information about your system.
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 3:48:00 AM

RAMbo wrote:

> Ok here is a serious noob question for a non-noob XP user:
> I have dug through every possibly applicable folder and app. to find this
> and just can't seem to get the info I need. So here is the noob part... where
> do you go to find out how much RAM and type you have and how much your system
> is capable of using efficiently?

Hold down windows logo key while typing an "e"

Click the desktop icon in the left pane of the Windows Explorer window

Right click the My Computer icon in the right pane and click Properties
on the resulting context menu.

The General tab on the resulting popup will list your Windows XP edition
(Home or Profesional), Windows XP service pack version, Windows XP
product ID, CPU type, CPU speed and memory. It's not a bad idea to use
the print screen key to capture that information to the clipboard and
paste it to the Paint application so that you can print it out for
future reference.

Your computer or motherboard manual should describe how much memory it
can accomidate. Note that some manufacturers might install two smaller
memory strips, using all the available slots, instead of a lone larger
memory strips. Most late model towers should be able to accomidate up to
2048 MB . Some earlier versions of Windows had problems with more than
512 MB.
Related resources
February 16, 2005 4:58:38 PM

Go to www.lavalys.com and download Everest Home edition. When installed it
will provide you with all the info you need.

"RAMbo" <RAMbo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ok here is a serious noob question for a non-noob XP user:
> I have dug through every possibly applicable folder and app. to find this
> and just can't seem to get the info I need. So here is the noob part...
> where
> do you go to find out how much RAM and type you have and how much your
> system
> is capable of using efficiently?
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 11:25:04 AM

Ok thanx everyone, I found the info I need, I clicked the system properties
and there it was. Boy did I feel stupid... My O.M. told me what kind I have.
Which is 512 of "dimm" sdram, which I am guessing by today's standards isnt
much, But BestBuy is selling me a 256 stick of kensington or kingston
something like that for 24 bucks after rebates, rebates *shudder* Boy those 4
letters - dimm -sure do jump the price up a bit lol

!