Yet another RAM question....

Ok here is a serious noob question for a non-noob XP user:
I have dug through every possibly applicable folder and app. to find this
and just can't seem to get the info I need. So here is the noob part... where
do you go to find out how much RAM and type you have and how much your system
is capable of using efficiently?
4 answers Last reply
More about question

    "RAMbo" <RAMbo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Ok here is a serious noob question for a non-noob XP user:
    > I have dug through every possibly applicable folder and app. to find this
    > and just can't seem to get the info I need. So here is the noob part...
    > where
    > do you go to find out how much RAM and type you have and how much your
    > system
    > is capable of using efficiently?

    You can check how much RAM you have by going to System Properties
    (right-click My Computer or in Control Panel.) To check what kind of RAM
    you have, you'll need to consult your BIOS or download a program such as
    SiSoftware Sandra.

    To see what kind of / how much RAM your system will support, you'll need to
    check the manual or the website for your motherboard.

    Utilities such as SiSoftware will also (sometimes) tell you this, as well as
    a lot more, information about your system.

    RAMbo wrote:

    > Ok here is a serious noob question for a non-noob XP user:
    > I have dug through every possibly applicable folder and app. to find this
    > and just can't seem to get the info I need. So here is the noob part... where
    > do you go to find out how much RAM and type you have and how much your system
    > is capable of using efficiently?

    Hold down windows logo key while typing an "e"

    Click the desktop icon in the left pane of the Windows Explorer window

    Right click the My Computer icon in the right pane and click Properties
    on the resulting context menu.

    The General tab on the resulting popup will list your Windows XP edition
    (Home or Profesional), Windows XP service pack version, Windows XP
    product ID, CPU type, CPU speed and memory. It's not a bad idea to use
    the print screen key to capture that information to the clipboard and
    paste it to the Paint application so that you can print it out for
    future reference.

    Your computer or motherboard manual should describe how much memory it
    can accomidate. Note that some manufacturers might install two smaller
    memory strips, using all the available slots, instead of a lone larger
    memory strips. Most late model towers should be able to accomidate up to
    2048 MB . Some earlier versions of Windows had problems with more than
    512 MB.

    Go to www.lavalys.com and download Everest Home edition. When installed it
    will provide you with all the info you need.

    "RAMbo" <RAMbo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Ok here is a serious noob question for a non-noob XP user:
    > I have dug through every possibly applicable folder and app. to find this
    > and just can't seem to get the info I need. So here is the noob part...
    > where
    > do you go to find out how much RAM and type you have and how much your
    > system
    > is capable of using efficiently?

    Ok thanx everyone, I found the info I need, I clicked the system properties
    and there it was. Boy did I feel stupid... My O.M. told me what kind I have.
    Which is 512 of "dimm" sdram, which I am guessing by today's standards isnt
    much, But BestBuy is selling me a 256 stick of kensington or kingston
    something like that for 24 bucks after rebates, rebates *shudder* Boy those 4
    letters - dimm -sure do jump the price up a bit lol

    "RAMbo" wrote:

    > Ok here is a serious noob question for a non-noob XP user:
    > I have dug through every possibly applicable folder and app. to find this
    > and just can't seem to get the info I need. So here is the noob part... where
    > do you go to find out how much RAM and type you have and how much your system
    > is capable of using efficiently?

RAM Windows XP