PC building ideas

I had sent a previous post about buying computer hardware in bulk.

My business is going to be aimed at several different groups of people who
need a PC based on their needs. So far this is what I have:

The first group would be the entry level system geared towards students,
grandparents and the average Joe.

The second group would be towards the individuals who seeks a PC that is
versatile in gaming and multi-tasking.

The 3rd group would be for the gamers & hard core gamers.

Anyone have any ideas on who else I should target?

Thanks.

zippy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Business's are where the money is, try thinking up a specific one for them,
if you show to them you have a specific setup for their needs it might
impress them.

Zippy

"Marc Thompson" wrote:

> I had sent a previous post about buying computer hardware in bulk.
>
> My business is going to be aimed at several different groups of people who
> need a PC based on their needs. So far this is what I have:
>
> The first group would be the entry level system geared towards students,
> grandparents and the average Joe.
>
> The second group would be towards the individuals who seeks a PC that is
> versatile in gaming and multi-tasking.
>
> The 3rd group would be for the gamers & hard core gamers.
>
> Anyone have any ideas on who else I should target?
>
> Thanks.

Small Form Factor business machines are really hot. So are Home Theater
PC's.
Content Creation workstations are high dollar items (CAD, CAM, Sound design)
For gaming systems, one thing I have seen is vendors who build the PC's
based on "killer rigs" that magazines & websites create in-house. These can
be 1-off systems with a pretty hefty markup for your "value-added" service
of assembly, testing, optimizing, and any other thing you could add.

"Zippy" <Zippy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Business's are where the money is, try thinking up a specific one for
them,
> if you show to them you have a specific setup for their needs it might
> impress them.
>
> Zippy
>
> "Marc Thompson" wrote:
>
> > I had sent a previous post about buying computer hardware in bulk.
> >
> > My business is going to be aimed at several different groups of people
who
> > need a PC based on their needs. So far this is what I have:
> >
> > The first group would be the entry level system geared towards students,
> > grandparents and the average Joe.
> >
> > The second group would be towards the individuals who seeks a PC that is
> > versatile in gaming and multi-tasking.
> >
> > The 3rd group would be for the gamers & hard core gamers.
> >
> > Anyone have any ideas on who else I should target?
> >
> > Thanks.

One more group: imaging workstations! They usually use the same components
as the "gamers" (like max RAM) but may need high speed SCSI hard drives for
quick image manupilations. And they need scanner/digitial cameras.

"Zippy" <Zippy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Business's are where the money is, try thinking up a specific one for
> them,
> if you show to them you have a specific setup for their needs it might
> impress them.
>
> Zippy
>
> "Marc Thompson" wrote:
>
>> I had sent a previous post about buying computer hardware in bulk.
>>
>> My business is going to be aimed at several different groups of people
>> who
>> need a PC based on their needs. So far this is what I have:
>>
>> The first group would be the entry level system geared towards students,
>> grandparents and the average Joe.
>>
>> The second group would be towards the individuals who seeks a PC that is
>> versatile in gaming and multi-tasking.
>>
>> The 3rd group would be for the gamers & hard core gamers.
>>
>> Anyone have any ideas on who else I should target?
>>
>> Thanks.

Home media center PCs: Look at XP Media Center Edition 2005. You normally
have most of the required software integrated but you are more limited in
hardware choice.

"Marc Thompson" <marc@x2email.com> wrote in message
>I had sent a previous post about buying computer hardware in bulk.
>
> My business is going to be aimed at several different groups of people who
> need a PC based on their needs. So far this is what I have:
>
> The first group would be the entry level system geared towards students,
> grandparents and the average Joe.
>
> The second group would be towards the individuals who seeks a PC that is
> versatile in gaming and multi-tasking.
>
> The 3rd group would be for the gamers & hard core gamers.
>
> Anyone have any ideas on who else I should target?
>
> Thanks.

Building PCs and selling them are two different things. One of the first
things you've got to look at is who your competition is and what you're
going to do to differentiate yourself from them. If you take a look around,
you'll probably see a lot of cheap PCs that are similar to what you're
calling your entry-level units. Unless you're going to be buying in vast
quantities and setting up an assembly line, you're not going to beat the
prices that the bigger companies are offering. If you really want to sell to
that market, you're going to have to sell on something other than price, but
if someone is looking for a cheap PC they're probably only looking at price.
You might want to reconsider that market. All you need are a few returns or
warranty repairs, and there goes the profits.

The high-end systems are going to be a better bet as far as making a profit,
but once again, you need to differentiate yourself from the competition.
Instead of looking at who you want to target, look at it from the other
viewpoint -- why does someone want to buy from you? Selling on price alone
isn't a good way to make money. And rather than trying to hit a lot of
different markets, you might want to pick one and specialize. Unless of
course you are talking about setting up a manufacturing plant and not a
small shop. If you're setting up a manufacturing facility, you can certainly
churn out thousands of PCs of different models.