XP Re-activation

I installed a new motherboard and processor in a 15 month old e-Machine. When
I started it up after installing the new hardware, Windows notified me I had
to re-activate Windows XP. When I tried to re-activate, Microsoft would not
accept the last two numbers in the activation set. Is that because the XP
software was OEM, and if so how do I activate XP. Thank You
--
genesproul
5 answers Last reply

    "genesproul" <genes@goldrush.com> wrote in message
    >I installed a new motherboard and processor in a 15 month old e-Machine.
    >When
    > I started it up after installing the new hardware, Windows notified me I
    > had
    > to re-activate Windows XP. When I tried to re-activate, Microsoft would
    > not
    > accept the last two numbers in the activation set. Is that because the XP
    > software was OEM, and if so how do I activate XP. Thank You
    > --
    > genesproul

    OEM version was tied/locked to the original motherboard. if e-Machine
    provided a replace mothrboard, then you may have to do a repair re-install
    of Xp on top of the installed version. However, if you have a recovery CD,
    then you may have to re-format your system (and loose all files!). You may
    still not be able to activate the Xp if yhe recovery Cd was locked to the
    old motherboard's BIOS.

    genesproul wrote:
    > I installed a new motherboard and processor in a 15 month old
    > e-Machine. When I started it up after installing the new hardware,
    > Windows notified me I had to re-activate Windows XP. When I tried to
    > re-activate, Microsoft would not accept the last two numbers in the
    > activation set. Is that because the XP software was OEM, and if so
    > how do I activate XP. Thank You

    By purchasing a new copy (either generic OEM or full retail) as your OEM
    licence is now void. Gateway/eMachines BIOS-lock their installations which
    means that the motherboard is, in effect, the computer. By changing the
    motherboard you have, therefore, changed the computer and an OEM licence is
    tied to the system it was first installed on.

    Sorry, but that's one of the many reasons I self-build.

    on salads.

    genesproul wrote:

    >I installed a new motherboard and processor in a 15 month old e-Machine. When
    >I started it up after installing the new hardware, Windows notified me I had
    >to re-activate Windows XP. When I tried to re-activate, Microsoft would not
    >accept the last two numbers in the activation set. Is that because the XP
    >software was OEM, and if so how do I activate XP.

    An OEM system is licensed solely to the machine on which first
    installed. How much that may be upgraded is something of a grey area,
    but changing m'board probably leads to it being regarded as different.
    That is the big restriction on OEM; resulting in the lower price

    Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:
    > genesproul wrote:
    >
    >>I installed a new motherboard and processor in a 15 month old
    >>e-Machine. When I started it up after installing the new hardware,
    >>Windows notified me I had to re-activate Windows XP. When I tried to
    >>re-activate, Microsoft would not accept the last two numbers in the
    >>activation set. Is that because the XP software was OEM, and if so
    >>how do I activate XP. Thank You
    >

    > By purchasing a new copy (either generic OEM or full retail) as your OEM
    > licence is now void. Gateway/eMachines BIOS-lock their installations which
    > means that the motherboard is, in effect, the computer. By changing the
    > motherboard you have, therefore, changed the computer and an OEM licence is
    > tied to the system it was first installed on.
    >
    > Sorry, but that's one of the many reasons I self-build.

    What - Body Build

Hardware Microsoft Windows XP Product