PCI Express (Intel 915G Chipset) & ADD2

I have a Gateway 420GR P4 computer with the Intel 915G Chipset, it has a PCI
Express slot and I have been reading that I add an ADD2 (Advanced Digital
Display) card to the computer for using dual monitors.

1) I need to know if this will allow me to extend the desktop for a larger
working area by using this type card along with the Intel GMA900 onboard
graphics subsystem

and

2) Where can I purchase this type card as I have been unable to locate them
anywhere.
2 answers Last reply
More about express intel 915g chipset add2

    1) Normally, the drivers should allow you to

    a) Clone the primary display to the secondary display
    b) Extend the desktop

    2) You should contact Gateway first. Since they prodived you with the PC
    and the motherboard, you need to first check with them. Adding non-Gateway
    products into your PC may void your warranty.

    OR http://www.shop-intel.com/shop/product.asp?pid=SIDB8264

    "Brian S" <BrianS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a Gateway 420GR P4 computer with the Intel 915G Chipset, it has a
    >PCI
    > Express slot and I have been reading that I add an ADD2 (Advanced Digital
    > Display) card to the computer for using dual monitors.
    >
    > 1) I need to know if this will allow me to extend the desktop for a
    > larger
    > working area by using this type card along with the Intel GMA900 onboard
    > graphics subsystem
    >
    > and
    >
    > 2) Where can I purchase this type card as I have been unable to locate
    > them
    > anywhere.

    Brian,

    To add to Yves' comments..

    Yes, ADD2 cards basically just add a DVI or S-Video port to the onboard
    graphics, via video signals from the 915G chipset that are mux'ed onto the
    PCI Express x16 connector.
    Adding a DVI ADD2 card will allow you to clone or extend the desktop - for
    example, have the VGA monitor running at 1024x768, and the DVI one running
    at the same, lower, or higher resolution.
    What you CAN'T do is put another PCI-Express x16 card (e.g ATI X800) into
    the board and use that in addition to the GMA900 graphics core. Addition of
    an add-in graphics board will, as for all previous Intel chipsets, disable
    the integrated core.

    Hope this helps.

    > 1) Normally, the drivers should allow you to
    >
    > a) Clone the primary display to the secondary display
    > b) Extend the desktop
    >

    > 2) You should contact Gateway first. Since they prodived you with the PC
    > and the motherboard, you need to first check with them. Adding
    > non-Gateway products into your PC may void your warranty.
    >
    > OR http://www.shop-intel.com/shop/product.asp?pid=SIDB8264
    >

    > "Brian S" <BrianS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>I have a Gateway 420GR P4 computer with the Intel 915G Chipset, it has a
    >>PCI
    >> Express slot and I have been reading that I add an ADD2 (Advanced Digital
    >> Display) card to the computer for using dual monitors.
    >>
    >> 1) I need to know if this will allow me to extend the desktop for a
    >> larger
    >> working area by using this type card along with the Intel GMA900 onboard
    >> graphics subsystem
    >>
    >> and
    >>
    >> 2) Where can I purchase this type card as I have been unable to locate
    >> them
    >> anywhere.

Chipsets Intel Windows XP