Installing case wires

I have one quick question:
I don't know wether the wires labeled "POWER Led" and "Reset SW" and
etc, should be facing the motherboard or not (should the written part
face north or south? or does it make no difference? I have not found
an answer in the manual)
Sorry I am a first time pc builder, and I'm afraid I'll do the wrong
thing and blow up the world..... :P
Thank you so much for reading my post, I hope you can help me.

Gabriel
5 answers Last reply
More about installing case wires

    On 11/2/2004 10:27 AM Gabriel den Hartog brightened our day with:

    >I have one quick question:
    >I don't know wether the wires labeled "POWER Led" and "Reset SW" and
    >etc, should be facing the motherboard or not (should the written part
    >face north or south? or does it make no difference? I have not found
    >an answer in the manual)
    >Sorry I am a first time pc builder, and I'm afraid I'll do the wrong
    >thing and blow up the world..... :P
    >Thank you so much for reading my post, I hope you can help me.
    >
    >Gabriel

    It's not the end of the world if you get it wrong, but have the labels
    facing out. So that when you're looking edge on at the board, not
    across it, you can read them. Now that's just my general rule of thumb,
    you could have a funky case that has the wires screwed up.
    To make absolutely certain, your motherboard manual should at least
    label some of the lead pins as GND or Ground, those should match up with
    black wires or white wires. Once you get one figured out the rest
    follow suit.

    --
    Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
    www.inglostadt.com

    "Gabriel den Hartog" <gabriel1786@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have one quick question:
    > I don't know wether the wires labeled "POWER Led" and "Reset SW" and
    > etc, should be facing the motherboard or not (should the written part
    > face north or south? or does it make no difference? I have not found
    > an answer in the manual)
    > Sorry I am a first time pc builder, and I'm afraid I'll do the wrong
    > thing and blow up the world..... :P
    > Thank you so much for reading my post, I hope you can help me.
    >
    > Gabriel

    You'll not hurt anything by hooking it up incorrectly .. Reset SW and Power
    SW do not matter (Unless you have a 4 wire or 5 wire switch but you'll not
    have that) ..

    The other things are LED's and hooking them up in reverse will not harm
    anything it just means the LED will not work .. The board connections should
    show a (-) or (gnd) side (probably a - ) .. There will be a small arrow on
    the connector to show what side is ground. Like the other guy said.. facing
    out is generally correct ;)
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    "rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net> wrote in message news:<b8Uhd.896$bo3.288@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net>...
    > "Gabriel den Hartog" <gabriel1786@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I have one quick question:
    > > I don't know wether the wires labeled "POWER Led" and "Reset SW" and
    > > etc, should be facing the motherboard or not (should the written part
    > > face north or south? or does it make no difference? I have not found
    > > an answer in the manual)
    > > Sorry I am a first time pc builder, and I'm afraid I'll do the wrong
    > > thing and blow up the world..... :P
    > > Thank you so much for reading my post, I hope you can help me.
    > >
    > > Gabriel
    >

    > You'll not hurt anything by hooking it up incorrectly .. Reset SW and Power
    > SW do not matter (Unless you have a 4 wire or 5 wire switch but you'll not
    > have that) ..
    >
    > The other things are LED's and hooking them up in reverse will not harm
    > anything it just means the LED will not work .. The board connections should
    > show a (-) or (gnd) side (probably a - ) .. There will be a small arrow on
    > the connector to show what side is ground. Like the other guy said.. facing
    > out is generally correct ;)

    ok so it should be facing towards outside the motherboard...thankss
    anyway. in the manual it says what and where in the motherboard GND
    and stuff are but not on the case connectors, they just say what they
    are for (power led, power sw and etc) however, there is a little arrow
    with the letter "s" pointing to one of the outlets...
    what does that "s" mean? i didnt find an answer neither on the
    motherboard manual and neither in the case manual...
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    > "rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net> wrote in message
    > > "Gabriel den Hartog" <gabriel1786@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > I have one quick question:
    > > > I don't know wether the wires labeled "POWER Led" and "Reset SW" and
    > > > etc, should be facing the motherboard or not (should the written part
    > > > face north or south? or does it make no difference? I have not found
    > > > an answer in the manual)
    > > > Sorry I am a first time pc builder, and I'm afraid I'll do the wrong
    > > > thing and blow up the world..... :P
    > > > Thank you so much for reading my post, I hope you can help me.
    > > >
    > > > Gabriel
    > >

    > > You'll not hurt anything by hooking it up incorrectly .. Reset SW and
    Power
    > > SW do not matter (Unless you have a 4 wire or 5 wire switch but you'll
    not
    > > have that) ..
    > >
    > > The other things are LED's and hooking them up in reverse will not harm
    > > anything it just means the LED will not work .. The board connections
    should
    > > show a (-) or (gnd) side (probably a - ) .. There will be a small arrow
    on
    > > the connector to show what side is ground. Like the other guy said..
    facing
    > > out is generally correct ;)
    >

    > ok so it should be facing towards outside the motherboard...thankss
    > anyway. in the manual it says what and where in the motherboard GND
    > and stuff are but not on the case connectors, they just say what they
    > are for (power led, power sw and etc) however, there is a little arrow
    > with the letter "s" pointing to one of the outlets...
    > what does that "s" mean? i didnt find an answer neither on the
    > motherboard manual and neither in the case manual...

    What motherboard is it.. Someone may have a connection diagram to help you
    (but if you look closely on the board it should say)
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    Gabriel den Hartog wrote:

    > ok so it should be facing towards outside the motherboard...thankss
    > anyway. in the manual it says what and where in the motherboard GND
    > and stuff are but not on the case connectors, they just say what they
    > are for (power led, power sw and etc) however, there is a little arrow
    > with the letter "s" pointing to one of the outlets...
    > what does that "s" mean? i didnt find an answer neither on the
    > motherboard manual and neither in the case manual...

    "s" is a very bad way to say 'signal'. In other words positive, ie, not
    GND. The positive/anode/signal connects to the "s" pin.

    If this doesn't work, reverse the connect - the "s" to ientify the +ve wire
    is VERY old way of doing things. LED's are polar, but you wont blow them
    up by connecting them in reverse[1] - as others have said, they just wont
    light up.

    James
    [1] well, not with the voltages/currents on the case light pins. Hook them
    up to a fan header and you might get a very shoort-lived, but bright, flash
    from the LED, then it's toast (you may burn some tracks on your mobo too).
    LED's can only handle very low current and must be used with a
    current-limiting resistor. This current-limiting resistor is built into
    the case-light pins, but NOT into fan headers.
    --
    "The rights you have are the rights given you by this Committee [the House
    Un-American Activities Committee]. We will determine what rights you have

MSI-Microstar Motherboards