Recommended RAM for Athlon 64 2800

Archived from groups: de.comp.hardware.cpu+mainboard.amd,alt.comp.hardware.microprocessors.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

I will buy MSI K8TM-ILSR mainboard with AMD Athlon 64 2800 processor. I
would like to ask which RAM is better for this configuration. Do I need
DDR400 or DDR333 RAM modules for Athlon 64 2800? Which is better in terms of
performance: CL3 or CL2.5?

Here are possible choices:
- 512 MB Infineon DDR400 (PC400) CL3 RAM
- 512 MB Infineon DDR333 (PC333) CL2.5 RAM
- 512 MB Kingston DDR400 CL2.5 Value RAM
- 512 MB Kingston DDR333 CL2.5 Value RAM
Which would be better for my configuration?

Thanks in advance!

Dominik

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.microprocessors.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

Never do crossposts without a FollowUp!

Dominik Roblek wrote:
> I will buy MSI K8TM-ILSR mainboard with AMD Athlon 64 2800 processor. I
> would like to ask which RAM is better for this configuration. Do I need
> DDR400 or DDR333 RAM modules for Athlon 64 2800?

Both should work, but DDR400 suits the Athlon64 better as the CPU runs
with 800MHz FSB which is exactly the doubled rate of DDR400. It
therefore would synchronise better with eachother.

Which is better in terms of
> performance: CL3 or CL2.5?

CL2.5 BUT the performance increase is only measureable (0%-2%). You will
not "feel" CL2.5 to be significantly faster.

> Here are possible choices:
> - 512 MB Infineon DDR400 (PC400) CL3 RAM

Infineon is always a good choice.

> - 512 MB Kingston DDR400 CL2.5 Value RAM

Kingston is not bad either.

> Which would be better for my configuration?

You may choose according to the price.

regards
Michael

Dominik Roblek wrote:
> I will buy MSI K8TM-ILSR mainboard with AMD Athlon 64 2800 processor. I
> would like to ask which RAM is better for this configuration. Do I need
> DDR400 or DDR333 RAM modules for Athlon 64 2800? Which is better in terms of
> performance: CL3 or CL2.5?
>
> Here are possible choices:
> - 512 MB Infineon DDR400 (PC400) CL3 RAM
> - 512 MB Infineon DDR333 (PC333) CL2.5 RAM
> - 512 MB Kingston DDR400 CL2.5 Value RAM
> - 512 MB Kingston DDR333 CL2.5 Value RAM
> Which would be better for my configuration?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Dominik
>

> From - Sun
hi Dominik,

can't tell exactly which RAM you should use (DDR400 or 333) for the 64 2800.
but I'm able to answer the question CL3/CL2.5:
there we go: CL means CAS latency, means the delay in accessing the memory columns (imagine RAM as a table of rows and columns).
in general, the lower the latency, the more speed you get out of your RAM
theoretically its possible, that DDR333 equipped with an aggressive CAS latency brings more boost than a DDR400 with laggard CAS settings.

a very good description: check out http://www.de.tomshardware.com/praxis/20010716/bios_tuning-04.html
it's german, maybe there is also an english version available.

good luck on shopping!

bye
chris

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 08:02:37 +0100, Dominik Roblek wrote:

> I will buy MSI K8TM-ILSR mainboard with AMD Athlon 64 2800 processor. I
> would like to ask which RAM is better for this configuration. Do I need
> DDR400 or DDR333 RAM modules for Athlon 64 2800? Which is better in terms of
> performance: CL3 or CL2.5?

If you want the memory bus to run in sysnc with the cpu, then you need
PC3200 capable ram (DDR400). If you plan on overclcocking and dstill want
to run in sync, then get something faster, like PC4000. The lower the CL,
the better the performance, but there's only a very minmal difference in
real world apps. One thing you need to know about the CL is that it's tied
directly to the speed of the bus. So for instance CL2.5 PC3200 would
probably run CL2 at PC2700 ram speeds, and PC2700 CL2 probably won't run
CL2 at PC3200 speeds, etc. I know people make a big deal of CL, but in
reality it's doesn't have much importance. It only becomes a factor when
excessing the ram directly, which in most cases is only about 10% of the
time. 90% of the time the cpu excesses the cpu cache.

TRENDING THREADS