Please help: bios died :)

Hi,

This is my problem: recently I flashed my bios, and it went wrong (why, I
still don't know, I have the correct version and double checked everything,
but what's done is done). So now, I have a pc that won't boot, because the
bios is corrupted. The MSI site recommends two things: if I have an amibios,
I should ename the desired AMI BIOS file to AMIBOOT.ROM and save it on a
floppy disk. e.g. Rename A569MS23.ROM to AMIBOOT.ROM (and then boot with
ctrl + home). If I have an award bios, I should make an autoexec.bat file on
a boot disk, with a specific line that loads the new bios. This is what I
don't get:

I (again) checked the number on my (845 ultra) motherboard, which is MS6389.
I downloaded the original version of the bios and checked what I had to do.
The chip on my motherboard said: AMIBIOS. And the files I have are:
amifl827.exe and A6398IMS.360. So now I am confused. Because the textfile
that comes with these files, tells me to create an autoexec.bat that loads
these files. But THAT is the procedure that's meant foor an award bios.
Because if it was an amibios, I had to rename the .rom file to amiboot.rom.
I have no .rom file (or am I taking this to literally) and even if I had,
the textfiles tells me to do the autoexec.bat thing. So, I did, but nothing
happens, which doesnt surprise me because my bios is corrupted. The only way
to get my floppydrive to respond is to hold the ctrl + home buttons, but
then it wants to load a .rom file that I don't have.

Can anyone please help me? What do I have, an amibios (which seems to be the
case, but in that cas ALL support sites give wrong advice, which seems
illogical) or an award bios? And what procedure should I follow?

Thanx in advance for your help.

Martin

"Martin Gijzemijter" <martin@gijzemijter.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> This is my problem: recently I flashed my bios, and it went wrong (why, I
> still don't know, I have the correct version and double checked
everything,
> but what's done is done). So now, I have a pc that won't boot, because the
> bios is corrupted. The MSI site recommends two things: if I have an
amibios,
> I should ename the desired AMI BIOS file to AMIBOOT.ROM and save it on a
> floppy disk. e.g. Rename A569MS23.ROM to AMIBOOT.ROM (and then boot with
> ctrl + home). If I have an award bios, I should make an autoexec.bat file
on
> a boot disk, with a specific line that loads the new bios. This is what I
> don't get:
>
> I (again) checked the number on my (845 ultra) motherboard, which is
MS6389.
> I downloaded the original version of the bios and checked what I had to
do.
> The chip on my motherboard said: AMIBIOS. And the files I have are:
> amifl827.exe and A6398IMS.360. So now I am confused. Because the textfile
> that comes with these files, tells me to create an autoexec.bat that loads
> these files. But THAT is the procedure that's meant foor an award bios.
> Because if it was an amibios, I had to rename the .rom file to
amiboot.rom.
> I have no .rom file (or am I taking this to literally) and even if I had,
> the textfiles tells me to do the autoexec.bat thing. So, I did, but
nothing
> happens, which doesnt surprise me because my bios is corrupted. The only
way
> to get my floppydrive to respond is to hold the ctrl + home buttons, but
> then it wants to load a .rom file that I don't have.

Yes you DO have it !! A3698IMS.360 is actually a ROM file, the .360
extension is just the version number
Just rename the file per instructions (A3698IMS.360 to AMIBOOT.ROM) and
you'll be fine