DVD+R Double Layer

I have a DVD+R Double Layer recorder that works just fine.

Should I bee able to read Double Layer DVDs that I create on regular PC DVD
drives ?

--
Michael Tissington
http://www.oaklodge.com

    It depends on the "regular PC DVD drive" that you speak of and the
    capabilities of this drive. My LG DVDRom will not read DVD+R DL as well as
    it cannot read DVD+RW or DVD+R disks. It can read DVD-RWand DVD-R, and any
    commercial DVD movie (single and dual layer). cd-r and cd-rw as well.

    However, (and this is the important part) I can burn DVD+R's and DVD+R DL's
    and read them on this LG DVDRom as long as during the burn process I change
    the "booktype" to DVD-Rom. For more info Google Bitsetting or Booktype
    (samething).

    The two programs that I know of that can change the booktype is Nero and DVD
    Decrypter.

    Setting the booktype to DVDRom will also allow greater playability in older
    set top DVD players.

    Everything above refers to the creation of DVD movies and the like on your
    DVD burner for playback in your "PC DVD drive". Data disk created on a
    DVD+R or DVD+R DL blank.will only be able to be read on a drive designed to
    read that type of disk.

    If you have a question about a specific "PC DVD drive" and its reading /
    writing capabilities check the manual that came with the drive and/or the
    manufacturers website. Or posts the make and model here and someone will
    point you in the right direction.

    HTH,

    r.

    "Trent©" <trentsauder@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 16:07:09 -0800, "Michael Tissington"
    > <michael@nospam.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I have a DVD+R Double Layer recorder that works just fine.
    >>
    >>Should I bee able to read Double Layer DVDs that I create on regular PC
    >>DVD
    >>drives ?
    >
    > Sure.
    >
    > But I'd be real surprised if yer burnin' to double layer DVD's.

    Why would you be surprised, he clearly said he has a drive that has that
    capability.?

    $40 CDN for a 3 pack of Verbatim 8.5GB blanks.

    Too much for personal use for me. The OP must have deeper pockets. lol.

    r.

    "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message

    > "Trent©" <trentsauder@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 16:07:09 -0800, "Michael Tissington"
    >> <michael@nospam.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have a DVD+R Double Layer recorder that works just fine.
    >>>
    >>>Should I bee able to read Double Layer DVDs that I create on regular PC
    >>>DVD
    >>>drives ?
    >>
    >> Sure.
    >>
    >> But I'd be real surprised if yer burnin' to double layer DVD's.
    >>

    > Why would you be surprised, he clearly said he has a drive that has that
    > capability.?

    Yeah, they are expensive, and I am unwilling to pay that kind of money for
    them, especially considering I can get 20 (on average) DVD-RWs for the same
    price. A 3 pack of DBL LY DVDs here in the US cost about $30. At NewEgg.com,
    you can get 100 DVD-R for $32US.

    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=17-131-036&DEPA=0

    "namniar" <this@that> wrote in message
    > $40 CDN for a 3 pack of Verbatim 8.5GB blanks.
    >
    > Too much for personal use for me. The OP must have deeper pockets. lol.
    >
    > r.
    >

    > "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Trent©" <trentsauder@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    >>> Sure.
    >>>
    >>> But I'd be real surprised if yer burnin' to double layer DVD's.
    >>>

    >> Why would you be surprised, he clearly said he has a drive that has that
    >> capability.?

    "Trent©" <trentsauder@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > But I'd be real surprised if yer burnin' to double layer DVD's.

    I bought a double-layer DVD on a whim a while back and haven't burned a
    single 8.5 GB DVD yet. Bought the drive before I saw how much the d**n
    media cost. Oops.

    Michael Tissington wrote:
    > I have a DVD+R Double Layer recorder that works just fine.
    >
    > Should I bee able to read Double Layer DVDs that I create on regular
    > PC DVD drives ?

    Your question makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. What do you mean by
    "double layer DVDs that I create on regular PC DVD drives"? An ordinary DVD
    burner (if that's what you meant by "regular PC DVD drives") cannot burn DL
    discs - only a burner specifically marked as having DL capabilities can.

    Could you please clarify?

    on salads.

    Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:

    > Michael Tissington wrote:
    >
    >>I have a DVD+R Double Layer recorder that works just fine.
    >>
    >>Should I bee able to read Double Layer DVDs that I create on regular
    >>PC DVD drives ?
    >

    > Your question makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. What do you mean by
    > "double layer DVDs that I create on regular PC DVD drives"? An ordinary DVD
    > burner (if that's what you meant by "regular PC DVD drives") cannot burn DL
    > discs - only a burner specifically marked as having DL capabilities can.
    >
    > Could you please clarify?

    Maybe you should learn to read more carefully. The question was
    perfectly understandable to me. He wants to read Dual Layer DVDs that
    he burned on a different drive that is only single layer.

    Yeah, a missing comma, he wants to know if dual-layer discs he writes on
    his DVD+R drive will be able to be read on a normal DVD-ROM drive.

    The answer I think is that yes, it should be readable, as far as I know.
    Movie discs are dual-layer, and most (if not all) DVD-ROM drives should
    read DVD+R.
    I imagine it wouldn't be very useful if DVD+R/DL discs were only readable
    on a limited range of players.

    >>> Should I bee able to read Double Layer DVDs that I create[,] on regular
    >>> PC DVD drives ?
    > Maybe you should learn to read more carefully. The question was
    > perfectly understandable to me. He wants to read Dual Layer DVDs that
    > he burned on a different drive that is only single layer.

    hey if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it.

    some of us don't ask, if we want it we use it.....

    just cause the OP can afford it, shouldn't be the issue.

    --
    EasyFeelings
    A+

    "When your computer is working good, That's an EasyFeeling"

    Yeah, and to WITF are you replying?

    "EasyFeelings" <no@way.com> wrote in message
    > hey if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it.
    >
    > some of us don't ask, if we want it we use it.....
    >
    > just cause the OP can afford it, shouldn't be the issue.
    >

    > --
    > EasyFeelings
    > A+
    > MCP
    > MCSA
    >
    > "When your computer is working good, That's an EasyFeeling"

    agreeing with you Tom.

    --
    EasyFeelings
    A+
    MCP
    MCSA

    "When your computer is working good, That's an EasyFeeling"

    If you're going to reply, do so with by leaving the text of the message in
    your reply, so that everyone knows to what you are referring.

    Note: See that I left your post with the body of mine.

    > agreeing with you Tom.
    >

    > --
    > EasyFeelings
    > A+
    > MCP
    > MCSA
    >
    > "When your computer is working good, That's an EasyFeeling"

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    I did try, and the DL DVD does not want to read in at least a couple of
    regular drives that I have tried.

    But it does seem a bit odd that it they will only read on my DL DVD drive so
    I'm wondering if it the software I use to burn them ...

    --
    Michael Tissington
    http://www.oaklodge.com

    > "Michael Tissington" <michael@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>I have a DVD+R Double Layer recorder that works just fine.
    >>
    >> Should I bee able to read Double Layer DVDs that I create on regular PC
    >> DVD drives ?
    >
    > Well, since you already have that ype of burner, try it on a regular DVD
    > drive, and post back. it won't be a loss, since it definitley can be read
    > on your Dbl burner. But I would think it can anyway.
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Thanks for the detailed info.

    I'm actually trying to copy a DVD movie, it seems to copy OK and is marked
    as DVD-Video but it will only play in the DVD DL recorder.

    --
    Michael Tissington
    http://www.oaklodge.com

    > It depends on the "regular PC DVD drive" that you speak of and the
    > capabilities of this drive. My LG DVDRom will not read DVD+R DL as well
    > as it cannot read DVD+RW or DVD+R disks. It can read DVD-RWand DVD-R, and
    > any commercial DVD movie (single and dual layer). cd-r and cd-rw as well.
    >
    > However, (and this is the important part) I can burn DVD+R's and DVD+R
    > DL's and read them on this LG DVDRom as long as during the burn process I
    > change the "booktype" to DVD-Rom. For more info Google Bitsetting or
    > Booktype (samething).
    >
    > The two programs that I know of that can change the booktype is Nero and
    > DVD Decrypter.
    >
    > Setting the booktype to DVDRom will also allow greater playability in
    > older set top DVD players.
    >
    > Everything above refers to the creation of DVD movies and the like on your
    > DVD burner for playback in your "PC DVD drive". Data disk created on a
    > DVD+R or DVD+R DL blank.will only be able to be read on a drive designed
    > to read that type of disk.
    >
    > If you have a question about a specific "PC DVD drive" and its reading /
    > writing capabilities check the manual that came with the drive and/or the
    > manufacturers website. Or posts the make and model here and someone will
    > point you in the right direction.
    >
    > HTH,
    >
    > r.
    >

    > "Michael Tissington" <michael@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>I have a DVD+R Double Layer recorder that works just fine.
    >>
    >> Should I bee able to read Double Layer DVDs that I create on regular PC
    >> DVD drives ?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Michael Tissington
    >> http://www.oaklodge.com
    >> http://www.tabtag.com

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    What software are you using to burn. Also, what type of movie? Commercial
    Hollywood DVD? If so you have to strip the CSS encoding before burning.

    Post back with details including DVD burner model and DVD Rom drive that
    you are reading. Make of DL media is irrelevant as long as it is compatible
    with the writer.

    > Thanks for the detailed info.
    >
    > I'm actually trying to copy a DVD movie, it seems to copy OK and is marked
    > as DVD-Video but it will only play in the DVD DL recorder.
    >
    > --
    > Michael Tissington
    > http://www.oaklodge.com
    > http://www.tabtag.com
    >

    > "namniar" <this@that> wrote in message
    >> It depends on the "regular PC DVD drive" that you speak of and the
    >> capabilities of this drive. My LG DVDRom will not read DVD+R DL as well
    >> as it cannot read DVD+RW or DVD+R disks. It can read DVD-RWand DVD-R,
    >> and any commercial DVD movie (single and dual layer). cd-r and cd-rw as
    >> well.
    >>
    >> However, (and this is the important part) I can burn DVD+R's and DVD+R
    >> DL's and read them on this LG DVDRom as long as during the burn process I
    >> change the "booktype" to DVD-Rom. For more info Google Bitsetting or
    >> Booktype (samething).
    >>
    >> The two programs that I know of that can change the booktype is Nero and
    >> DVD Decrypter.
    >>
    >> Setting the booktype to DVDRom will also allow greater playability in
    >> older set top DVD players.
    >>
    >> Everything above refers to the creation of DVD movies and the like on
    >> your DVD burner for playback in your "PC DVD drive". Data disk created
    >> on a DVD+R or DVD+R DL blank.will only be able to be read on a drive
    >> designed to read that type of disk.
    >>
    >> If you have a question about a specific "PC DVD drive" and its reading /
    >> writing capabilities check the manual that came with the drive and/or the
    >> manufacturers website. Or posts the make and model here and someone will
    >> point you in the right direction.
    >>
    >> HTH,
    >>
    >> r.
    >>

    >> "Michael Tissington" <michael@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>>I have a DVD+R Double Layer recorder that works just fine.
    >>>
    >>> Should I bee able to read Double Layer DVDs that I create on regular PC
    >>> DVD drives ?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Michael Tissington
    >>> http://www.oaklodge.com
    >>> http://www.tabtag.com

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Yes, Hollywood DVD movie, and I have stripped CSS and region stuff.

    Looks like it may be the drive.

    I've tried InterVideo (the latest version to copy the DVD) and the copy is
    reported as a DVD Video

    I have the latest version of Nero but I not tried to copy with this yet.

    The drive that I'm trying to play the copy in is a SLIM External IBM USB
    drive (multi burner) - it reports that it can not read DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD+R
    DL (it can read DVD-RAM, but who uses this these days) ... Its actually made
    by TEAC and the model is DV-W22PUB
    (http://www.teac.co.jp/dspd/product/optical/dv-w22pub.html)

    Do you think I can get this to drive to work for me ?

    --
    Michael Tissington
    http://www.oaklodge.com

    > What software are you using to burn. Also, what type of movie?
    > Commercial Hollywood DVD? If so you have to strip the CSS encoding before
    > burning.
    >
    > Post back with details including DVD burner model and DVD Rom drive that
    > you are reading. Make of DL media is irrelevant as long as it is
    > compatible with the writer.
    >
    > r.
    >
    > "Michael Tissington" <michael@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> Thanks for the detailed info.
    >>
    >> I'm actually trying to copy a DVD movie, it seems to copy OK and is
    >> marked as DVD-Video but it will only play in the DVD DL recorder.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Michael Tissington
    >> http://www.oaklodge.com
    >> http://www.tabtag.com
    >>

    >> "namniar" <this@that> wrote in message
    >>> It depends on the "regular PC DVD drive" that you speak of and the
    >>> capabilities of this drive. My LG DVDRom will not read DVD+R DL as
    >>> well as it cannot read DVD+RW or DVD+R disks. It can read DVD-RWand
    >>> DVD-R, and any commercial DVD movie (single and dual layer). cd-r and
    >>> cd-rw as well.
    >>>
    >>> However, (and this is the important part) I can burn DVD+R's and DVD+R
    >>> DL's and read them on this LG DVDRom as long as during the burn process
    >>> I change the "booktype" to DVD-Rom. For more info Google Bitsetting or
    >>> Booktype (samething).
    >>>
    >>> The two programs that I know of that can change the booktype is Nero and
    >>> DVD Decrypter.
    >>>
    >>> Setting the booktype to DVDRom will also allow greater playability in
    >>> older set top DVD players.
    >>>
    >>> Everything above refers to the creation of DVD movies and the like on
    >>> your DVD burner for playback in your "PC DVD drive". Data disk created
    >>> on a DVD+R or DVD+R DL blank.will only be able to be read on a drive
    >>> designed to read that type of disk.
    >>>
    >>> If you have a question about a specific "PC DVD drive" and its reading /
    >>> writing capabilities check the manual that came with the drive and/or
    >>> the manufacturers website. Or posts the make and model here and someone
    >>> will point you in the right direction.
    >>>
    >>> HTH,
    >>>
    >>> r.
    >>>

    >>> "Michael Tissington" <michael@nospam.com> wrote in message

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Michael,

    Use Nero CD-DVD Speed (part of the Nero Toolkit) to check out the disk you
    made. Open Nero Start Smart, Nero Tool kit, then open the application Nero
    CD-DVD Speed . Select the Extra menu bar then select "CD Info..." Make
    sure the disk you made is in the DVD burner and the correct drive is
    selected by the roll down menu in the Nero CD-DVD Speed box. The CD Speed:
    Disk Info box will open and will show you relevant info about the disk (PS
    try it with blank disks as well to see info about them such as who made the
    disk, type, etc.). A blank DVD+R will show up as such beside the heading
    Disk Type. If your DL disk shows up as anything but DVD-Rom then it will
    likely not work in the TEAC drive you have. Compare it to a blank DL disk
    as well. Also, put the burned DL disk in your TEAC drive and try to read
    the Disk Info. Will it?

    If it does not show up as DVD-Rom then you need to burn the disk with
    different settings. I am not familiar with InterVideo software so I don't
    know if it can change the booktype to DVD-Rom when it burns. Nero
    Express/Nero Burning Rom will however as well as DVD Decrypter which I
    mentioned before. Nero however will not copy copyprotected movies so you
    need something like DVD Decrypter or DVD Shrink to do that first. If you
    need links to either let me know. Google will have it. Or download from
    www.doom9.org

    What are you using to strip CSS and region coding?

    > Yes, Hollywood DVD movie, and I have stripped CSS and region stuff.
    >
    > Looks like it may be the drive.
    >
    > I've tried InterVideo (the latest version to copy the DVD) and the copy is
    > reported as a DVD Video
    >
    > I have the latest version of Nero but I not tried to copy with this yet.
    >
    > The drive that I'm trying to play the copy in is a SLIM External IBM USB
    > drive (multi burner) - it reports that it can not read DVD+R, DVD+RW,
    > DVD+R DL (it can read DVD-RAM, but who uses this these days) ... Its
    > actually made by TEAC and the model is DV-W22PUB
    > (http://www.teac.co.jp/dspd/product/optical/dv-w22pub.html)
    >
    > Do you think I can get this to drive to work for me ?
    >
    > --
    > Michael Tissington
    > http://www.oaklodge.com
    > http://www.tabtag.com
    >

    > "namniar" <this@that> wrote in message
    >> What software are you using to burn. Also, what type of movie?
    >> Commercial Hollywood DVD? If so you have to strip the CSS encoding
    >> before burning.
    >>
    >> Post back with details including DVD burner model and DVD Rom drive that
    >> you are reading. Make of DL media is irrelevant as long as it is
    >> compatible with the writer.
    >>
    >> r.
    >>
    >> "Michael Tissington" <michael@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>> Thanks for the detailed info.
    >>>
    >>> I'm actually trying to copy a DVD movie, it seems to copy OK and is
    >>> marked as DVD-Video but it will only play in the DVD DL recorder.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Michael Tissington
    >>> http://www.oaklodge.com
    >>> http://www.tabtag.com
    >>>

    >>> "namniar" <this@that> wrote in message

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Thanks, I'll give this a try ... this is what I use for CSS stuff ...

    http://www.dvdidle.com/

    --
    Michael Tissington
    http://www.oaklodge.com

    > Michael,
    >
    > Use Nero CD-DVD Speed (part of the Nero Toolkit) to check out the disk you
    > made. Open Nero Start Smart, Nero Tool kit, then open the application
    > Nero CD-DVD Speed . Select the Extra menu bar then select "CD Info..."
    > Make sure the disk you made is in the DVD burner and the correct drive is
    > selected by the roll down menu in the Nero CD-DVD Speed box. The CD
    > Speed: Disk Info box will open and will show you relevant info about the
    > disk (PS try it with blank disks as well to see info about them such as
    > who made the disk, type, etc.). A blank DVD+R will show up as such beside
    > the heading Disk Type. If your DL disk shows up as anything but DVD-Rom
    > then it will likely not work in the TEAC drive you have. Compare it to a
    > blank DL disk as well. Also, put the burned DL disk in your TEAC drive
    > and try to read the Disk Info. Will it?
    >
    > If it does not show up as DVD-Rom then you need to burn the disk with
    > different settings. I am not familiar with InterVideo software so I don't
    > know if it can change the booktype to DVD-Rom when it burns. Nero
    > Express/Nero Burning Rom will however as well as DVD Decrypter which I
    > mentioned before. Nero however will not copy copyprotected movies so you
    > need something like DVD Decrypter or DVD Shrink to do that first. If you
    > need links to either let me know. Google will have it. Or download from
    > www.doom9.org
    >
    > What are you using to strip CSS and region coding?
    >
    > r.
    >

    > "Michael Tissington" <michael@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> Yes, Hollywood DVD movie, and I have stripped CSS and region stuff.
    >>
    >> Looks like it may be the drive.
    >>
    >> I've tried InterVideo (the latest version to copy the DVD) and the copy
    >> is reported as a DVD Video
    >>
    >> I have the latest version of Nero but I not tried to copy with this yet.
    >>
    >> The drive that I'm trying to play the copy in is a SLIM External IBM USB
    >> drive (multi burner) - it reports that it can not read DVD+R, DVD+RW,
    >> DVD+R DL (it can read DVD-RAM, but who uses this these days) ... Its
    >> actually made by TEAC and the model is DV-W22PUB
    >> (http://www.teac.co.jp/dspd/product/optical/dv-w22pub.html)
    >>
    >> Do you think I can get this to drive to work for me ?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Michael Tissington
    >> http://www.oaklodge.com
    >> http://www.tabtag.com
    >>

    >> "namniar" <this@that> wrote in message
    >>> What software are you using to burn. Also, what type of movie?
    >>> Commercial Hollywood DVD? If so you have to strip the CSS encoding
    >>> before burning.
    >>>
    >>> Post back with details including DVD burner model and DVD Rom drive
    >>> that you are reading. Make of DL media is irrelevant as long as it is
    >>> compatible with the writer.
    >>>
    >>> r.
    >>>
    >>> "Michael Tissington" <michael@nospam.com> wrote in message

Hardware DVD Microsoft Windows XP Product