DVD+R Double Layer

I have a DVD+R Double Layer recorder that works just fine.

Should I bee able to read Double Layer DVDs that I create on regular PC DVD
drives ?

--
Michael Tissington
http://www.oaklodge.com

It depends on the "regular PC DVD drive" that you speak of and the
capabilities of this drive. My LG DVDRom will not read DVD+R DL as well as
it cannot read DVD+RW or DVD+R disks. It can read DVD-RWand DVD-R, and any
commercial DVD movie (single and dual layer). cd-r and cd-rw as well.

However, (and this is the important part) I can burn DVD+R's and DVD+R DL's
and read them on this LG DVDRom as long as during the burn process I change
the "booktype" to DVD-Rom. For more info Google Bitsetting or Booktype
(samething).

The two programs that I know of that can change the booktype is Nero and DVD
Decrypter.

Setting the booktype to DVDRom will also allow greater playability in older
set top DVD players.

Everything above refers to the creation of DVD movies and the like on your
DVD burner for playback in your "PC DVD drive". Data disk created on a
DVD+R or DVD+R DL blank.will only be able to be read on a drive designed to
read that type of disk.

If you have a question about a specific "PC DVD drive" and its reading /
writing capabilities check the manual that came with the drive and/or the
manufacturers website. Or posts the make and model here and someone will
point you in the right direction.

HTH,

r.

"Michael Tissington" <michael@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I have a DVD+R Double Layer recorder that works just fine.
>
> Should I bee able to read Double Layer DVDs that I create on regular PC
> DVD drives ?
>
> --
> Michael Tissington
> http://www.oaklodge.com
> http://www.tabtag.com

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Trent©" <trentsauder@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 16:07:09 -0800, "Michael Tissington"
> <michael@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>>I have a DVD+R Double Layer recorder that works just fine.
>>
>>Should I bee able to read Double Layer DVDs that I create on regular PC
>>DVD
>>drives ?
>
> Sure.
>
> But I'd be real surprised if yer burnin' to double layer DVD's.

Why would you be surprised, he clearly said he has a drive that has that
capability.?

$40 CDN for a 3 pack of Verbatim 8.5GB blanks.

Too much for personal use for me. The OP must have deeper pockets. lol.

r.

"Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message

> "Trent©" <trentsauder@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 16:07:09 -0800, "Michael Tissington"
>> <michael@nospam.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I have a DVD+R Double Layer recorder that works just fine.
>>>
>>>Should I bee able to read Double Layer DVDs that I create on regular PC
>>>DVD
>>>drives ?
>>
>> Sure.
>>
>> But I'd be real surprised if yer burnin' to double layer DVD's.
>>

> Why would you be surprised, he clearly said he has a drive that has that
> capability.?

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Yeah, they are expensive, and I am unwilling to pay that kind of money for
them, especially considering I can get 20 (on average) DVD-RWs for the same
price. A 3 pack of DBL LY DVDs here in the US cost about $30. At NewEgg.com,
you can get 100 DVD-R for $32US.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=17-131-036&DEPA=0

"namniar" <this@that> wrote in message
> $40 CDN for a 3 pack of Verbatim 8.5GB blanks.
>
> Too much for personal use for me. The OP must have deeper pockets. lol.
>
> r.
>

> "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Trent©" <trentsauder@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Sure.
>>>
>>> But I'd be real surprised if yer burnin' to double layer DVD's.
>>>

>> Why would you be surprised, he clearly said he has a drive that has that
>> capability.?

"Trent©" <trentsauder@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> But I'd be real surprised if yer burnin' to double layer DVD's.

I bought a double-layer DVD on a whim a while back and haven't burned a
single 8.5 GB DVD yet. Bought the drive before I saw how much the d**n
media cost. Oops.

Michael Tissington wrote:
> I have a DVD+R Double Layer recorder that works just fine.
>
> Should I bee able to read Double Layer DVDs that I create on regular
> PC DVD drives ?

Your question makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. What do you mean by
"double layer DVDs that I create on regular PC DVD drives"? An ordinary DVD
burner (if that's what you meant by "regular PC DVD drives") cannot burn DL
discs - only a burner specifically marked as having DL capabilities can.

Could you please clarify?

on salads.

Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:

> Michael Tissington wrote:
>
>>I have a DVD+R Double Layer recorder that works just fine.
>>
>>Should I bee able to read Double Layer DVDs that I create on regular
>>PC DVD drives ?
>

> Your question makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. What do you mean by
> "double layer DVDs that I create on regular PC DVD drives"? An ordinary DVD
> burner (if that's what you meant by "regular PC DVD drives") cannot burn DL
> discs - only a burner specifically marked as having DL capabilities can.
>
> Could you please clarify?

Maybe you should learn to read more carefully. The question was
perfectly understandable to me. He wants to read Dual Layer DVDs that
he burned on a different drive that is only single layer.

Yeah, a missing comma, he wants to know if dual-layer discs he writes on
his DVD+R drive will be able to be read on a normal DVD-ROM drive.

The answer I think is that yes, it should be readable, as far as I know.
Movie discs are dual-layer, and most (if not all) DVD-ROM drives should
read DVD+R.
I imagine it wouldn't be very useful if DVD+R/DL discs were only readable
on a limited range of players.

>>> Should I bee able to read Double Layer DVDs that I create[,] on regular
>>> PC DVD drives ?
> Maybe you should learn to read more carefully. The question was
> perfectly understandable to me. He wants to read Dual Layer DVDs that
> he burned on a different drive that is only single layer.

hey if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it.

some of us don't ask, if we want it we use it.....

just cause the OP can afford it, shouldn't be the issue.

--
EasyFeelings
A+

"When your computer is working good, That's an EasyFeeling"

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Yeah, and to WITF are you replying?

"EasyFeelings" <no@way.com> wrote in message
> hey if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it.
>
> some of us don't ask, if we want it we use it.....
>
> just cause the OP can afford it, shouldn't be the issue.
>

> --
> EasyFeelings
> A+
> MCP
> MCSA
>
> "When your computer is working good, That's an EasyFeeling"

agreeing with you Tom.

--
EasyFeelings
A+
MCP
MCSA

"When your computer is working good, That's an EasyFeeling"

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

If you're going to reply, do so with by leaving the text of the message in
your reply, so that everyone knows to what you are referring.

Note: See that I left your post with the body of mine.

> agreeing with you Tom.
>

> --
> EasyFeelings
> A+
> MCP
> MCSA
>
> "When your computer is working good, That's an EasyFeeling"

I did try, and the DL DVD does not want to read in at least a couple of
regular drives that I have tried.

But it does seem a bit odd that it they will only read on my DL DVD drive so
I'm wondering if it the software I use to burn them ...

--
Michael Tissington
http://www.oaklodge.com

> "Michael Tissington" <michael@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>I have a DVD+R Double Layer recorder that works just fine.
>>
>> Should I bee able to read Double Layer DVDs that I create on regular PC
>> DVD drives ?
>
> Well, since you already have that ype of burner, try it on a regular DVD
> drive, and post back. it won't be a loss, since it definitley can be read
> on your Dbl burner. But I would think it can anyway.

Thanks for the detailed info.

I'm actually trying to copy a DVD movie, it seems to copy OK and is marked
as DVD-Video but it will only play in the DVD DL recorder.

--
Michael Tissington
http://www.oaklodge.com

> It depends on the "regular PC DVD drive" that you speak of and the
> capabilities of this drive. My LG DVDRom will not read DVD+R DL as well
> as it cannot read DVD+RW or DVD+R disks. It can read DVD-RWand DVD-R, and
> any commercial DVD movie (single and dual layer). cd-r and cd-rw as well.
>
> However, (and this is the important part) I can burn DVD+R's and DVD+R
> DL's and read them on this LG DVDRom as long as during the burn process I
> change the "booktype" to DVD-Rom. For more info Google Bitsetting or
> Booktype (samething).
>
> The two programs that I know of that can change the booktype is Nero and
> DVD Decrypter.
>
> Setting the booktype to DVDRom will also allow greater playability in
> older set top DVD players.
>
> Everything above refers to the creation of DVD movies and the like on your
> DVD burner for playback in your "PC DVD drive". Data disk created on a
> DVD+R or DVD+R DL blank.will only be able to be read on a drive designed
> to read that type of disk.
>
> If you have a question about a specific "PC DVD drive" and its reading /
> writing capabilities check the manual that came with the drive and/or the
> manufacturers website. Or posts the make and model here and someone will
> point you in the right direction.
>
> HTH,
>
> r.
>

> "Michael Tissington" <michael@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>I have a DVD+R Double Layer recorder that works just fine.
>>
>> Should I bee able to read Double Layer DVDs that I create on regular PC
>> DVD drives ?
>>
>> --
>> Michael Tissington
>> http://www.oaklodge.com
>> http://www.tabtag.com

What software are you using to burn. Also, what type of movie? Commercial
Hollywood DVD? If so you have to strip the CSS encoding before burning.

Post back with details including DVD burner model and DVD Rom drive that
you are reading. Make of DL media is irrelevant as long as it is compatible
with the writer.

> Thanks for the detailed info.
>
> I'm actually trying to copy a DVD movie, it seems to copy OK and is marked
> as DVD-Video but it will only play in the DVD DL recorder.
>
> --
> Michael Tissington
> http://www.oaklodge.com
> http://www.tabtag.com
>

> "namniar" <this@that> wrote in message
>> It depends on the "regular PC DVD drive" that you speak of and the
>> capabilities of this drive. My LG DVDRom will not read DVD+R DL as well
>> as it cannot read DVD+RW or DVD+R disks. It can read DVD-RWand DVD-R,
>> and any commercial DVD movie (single and dual layer). cd-r and cd-rw as
>> well.
>>
>> However, (and this is the important part) I can burn DVD+R's and DVD+R
>> DL's and read them on this LG DVDRom as long as during the burn process I
>> change the "booktype" to DVD-Rom. For more info Google Bitsetting or
>> Booktype (samething).
>>
>> The two programs that I know of that can change the booktype is Nero and
>> DVD Decrypter.
>>
>> Setting the booktype to DVDRom will also allow greater playability in
>> older set top DVD players.
>>
>> Everything above refers to the creation of DVD movies and the like on
>> your DVD burner for playback in your "PC DVD drive". Data disk created
>> on a DVD+R or DVD+R DL blank.will only be able to be read on a drive
>> designed to read that type of disk.
>>
>> If you have a question about a specific "PC DVD drive" and its reading /
>> writing capabilities check the manual that came with the drive and/or the
>> manufacturers website. Or posts the make and model here and someone will
>> point you in the right direction.
>>
>> HTH,
>>
>> r.
>>

>> "Michael Tissington" <michael@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>>I have a DVD+R Double Layer recorder that works just fine.
>>>
>>> Should I bee able to read Double Layer DVDs that I create on regular PC
>>> DVD drives ?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Michael Tissington
>>> http://www.oaklodge.com
>>> http://www.tabtag.com

Yes, Hollywood DVD movie, and I have stripped CSS and region stuff.

Looks like it may be the drive.

I've tried InterVideo (the latest version to copy the DVD) and the copy is
reported as a DVD Video

I have the latest version of Nero but I not tried to copy with this yet.

The drive that I'm trying to play the copy in is a SLIM External IBM USB
drive (multi burner) - it reports that it can not read DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD+R
DL (it can read DVD-RAM, but who uses this these days) ... Its actually made
by TEAC and the model is DV-W22PUB
(http://www.teac.co.jp/dspd/product/optical/dv-w22pub.html)

Do you think I can get this to drive to work for me ?

--
Michael Tissington
http://www.oaklodge.com

> What software are you using to burn. Also, what type of movie?
> Commercial Hollywood DVD? If so you have to strip the CSS encoding before
> burning.
>
> Post back with details including DVD burner model and DVD Rom drive that
> you are reading. Make of DL media is irrelevant as long as it is
> compatible with the writer.
>
> r.
>
> "Michael Tissington" <michael@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks for the detailed info.
>>
>> I'm actually trying to copy a DVD movie, it seems to copy OK and is
>> marked as DVD-Video but it will only play in the DVD DL recorder.
>>
>> --
>> Michael Tissington
>> http://www.oaklodge.com
>> http://www.tabtag.com
>>

>> "namniar" <this@that> wrote in message
>>> It depends on the "regular PC DVD drive" that you speak of and the
>>> capabilities of this drive. My LG DVDRom will not read DVD+R DL as
>>> well as it cannot read DVD+RW or DVD+R disks. It can read DVD-RWand
>>> DVD-R, and any commercial DVD movie (single and dual layer). cd-r and
>>> cd-rw as well.
>>>
>>> However, (and this is the important part) I can burn DVD+R's and DVD+R
>>> DL's and read them on this LG DVDRom as long as during the burn process
>>> I change the "booktype" to DVD-Rom. For more info Google Bitsetting or
>>> Booktype (samething).
>>>
>>> The two programs that I know of that can change the booktype is Nero and
>>> DVD Decrypter.
>>>
>>> Setting the booktype to DVDRom will also allow greater playability in
>>> older set top DVD players.
>>>
>>> Everything above refers to the creation of DVD movies and the like on
>>> your DVD burner for playback in your "PC DVD drive". Data disk created
>>> on a DVD+R or DVD+R DL blank.will only be able to be read on a drive
>>> designed to read that type of disk.
>>>
>>> If you have a question about a specific "PC DVD drive" and its reading /
>>> writing capabilities check the manual that came with the drive and/or
>>> the manufacturers website. Or posts the make and model here and someone
>>> will point you in the right direction.
>>>
>>> HTH,
>>>
>>> r.
>>>

>>> "Michael Tissington" <michael@nospam.com> wrote in message

Michael,

Use Nero CD-DVD Speed (part of the Nero Toolkit) to check out the disk you
made. Open Nero Start Smart, Nero Tool kit, then open the application Nero
CD-DVD Speed . Select the Extra menu bar then select "CD Info..." Make
sure the disk you made is in the DVD burner and the correct drive is
selected by the roll down menu in the Nero CD-DVD Speed box. The CD Speed:
Disk Info box will open and will show you relevant info about the disk (PS
try it with blank disks as well to see info about them such as who made the
disk, type, etc.). A blank DVD+R will show up as such beside the heading
Disk Type. If your DL disk shows up as anything but DVD-Rom then it will
likely not work in the TEAC drive you have. Compare it to a blank DL disk
as well. Also, put the burned DL disk in your TEAC drive and try to read
the Disk Info. Will it?

If it does not show up as DVD-Rom then you need to burn the disk with
different settings. I am not familiar with InterVideo software so I don't
know if it can change the booktype to DVD-Rom when it burns. Nero
Express/Nero Burning Rom will however as well as DVD Decrypter which I
mentioned before. Nero however will not copy copyprotected movies so you
need something like DVD Decrypter or DVD Shrink to do that first. If you
need links to either let me know. Google will have it. Or download from
www.doom9.org

What are you using to strip CSS and region coding?

> Yes, Hollywood DVD movie, and I have stripped CSS and region stuff.
>
> Looks like it may be the drive.
>
> I've tried InterVideo (the latest version to copy the DVD) and the copy is
> reported as a DVD Video
>
> I have the latest version of Nero but I not tried to copy with this yet.
>
> The drive that I'm trying to play the copy in is a SLIM External IBM USB
> drive (multi burner) - it reports that it can not read DVD+R, DVD+RW,
> DVD+R DL (it can read DVD-RAM, but who uses this these days) ... Its
> actually made by TEAC and the model is DV-W22PUB
> (http://www.teac.co.jp/dspd/product/optical/dv-w22pub.html)
>
> Do you think I can get this to drive to work for me ?
>
> --
> Michael Tissington
> http://www.oaklodge.com
> http://www.tabtag.com
>

> "namniar" <this@that> wrote in message
>> What software are you using to burn. Also, what type of movie?
>> Commercial Hollywood DVD? If so you have to strip the CSS encoding
>> before burning.
>>
>> Post back with details including DVD burner model and DVD Rom drive that
>> you are reading. Make of DL media is irrelevant as long as it is
>> compatible with the writer.
>>
>> r.
>>
>> "Michael Tissington" <michael@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> Thanks for the detailed info.
>>>
>>> I'm actually trying to copy a DVD movie, it seems to copy OK and is
>>> marked as DVD-Video but it will only play in the DVD DL recorder.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Michael Tissington
>>> http://www.oaklodge.com
>>> http://www.tabtag.com
>>>

>>> "namniar" <this@that> wrote in message

Thanks, I'll give this a try ... this is what I use for CSS stuff ...

http://www.dvdidle.com/

--
Michael Tissington
http://www.oaklodge.com