Native Command Queuing w/ K8N Neo2

I just enabled Native Command Queuing on my 74GB WD Raptor . I was curious
if anyone with the same setup has seen any improvements (particularly with
games).
Are there any pros or cons to having this featured enabled which is off by
default?

Thanks,

JR
14 answers Last reply
More about native command queuing neo2

    "JR" <JR@nowhere.net> wrote in message news:ZOykd.2887$4U1.2836@trndny05...
    >I just enabled Native Command Queuing on my 74GB WD Raptor . I was curious
    >if anyone with the same setup has seen any improvements (particularly with
    >games).
    > Are there any pros or cons to having this featured enabled which is off by
    > default?

    I can't see it causing any problems - since the controller and the disk both
    support it.

    But on the other hand all it does - as I understand it - is optimises the
    disk seeks being done in a heavy multi-tasking environment, e.g. in a server
    with lots of users simultaneously requesting different data at different
    positions on the disk.

    This being the case, I doubt you'll see much benefit on a single user home
    PC.

    Chip
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 00:58:33 GMT, "JR" <JR@nowhere.net> wrote:

    >I just enabled Native Command Queuing on my 74GB WD Raptor . I was curious
    >if anyone with the same setup has seen any improvements (particularly with
    >games).
    >Are there any pros or cons to having this featured enabled which is off by
    >default?

    Actually I had command queuing enabled with my Raptor on my K8N Neo2 board and
    the performance was terrible; the Read Burst speed as tested from the Device
    Manager properties dialog was 5.0 (this is with the 446 driver and BIOS 1.3)
    and the sustained speed was about the same. Disabling this got my speeds back
    to normal ranges (108 and 71.4). Other utilities also confirmed this poor
    performance (e.g. HDTach)... in fact, I first noticed the problem when I
    started playing games like EverQuest 2 and virtual memory swapping was
    dropping my frame rates to about 1-2 fps. :-P

    I think there is a bug somewhere in the BIOS or drivers as theoretically
    having this feature on should improve performance (albeit primarily in
    multi-access scenarios), not hurt it.

    -Tom
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    "The Mad Downloader" <cablemodem@cablemodem.co.jp> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 00:58:33 GMT, "JR" <JR@nowhere.net> wrote:
    >
    >>I just enabled Native Command Queuing on my 74GB WD Raptor . I was curious
    >>if anyone with the same setup has seen any improvements (particularly with
    >>games).
    >>Are there any pros or cons to having this featured enabled which is off by
    >>default?
    >
    > Actually I had command queuing enabled with my Raptor on my K8N Neo2 board
    > and
    > the performance was terrible; the Read Burst speed as tested from the
    > Device
    > Manager properties dialog was 5.0 (this is with the 446 driver and BIOS
    > 1.3)
    > and the sustained speed was about the same. Disabling this got my speeds
    > back
    > to normal ranges (108 and 71.4). Other utilities also confirmed this poor
    > performance (e.g. HDTach)... in fact, I first noticed the problem when I
    > started playing games like EverQuest 2 and virtual memory swapping was
    > dropping my frame rates to about 1-2 fps. :-P
    >
    > I think there is a bug somewhere in the BIOS or drivers as theoretically
    > having this feature on should improve performance (albeit primarily in
    > multi-access scenarios), not hurt it.

    I have the same board and disks. How did you enable (or disable) TCQ? (or
    NCQ.... whatever)

    Chip
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 09:06:24 -0000, "Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net> wrote:

    >I have the same board and disks. How did you enable (or disable) TCQ? (or
    >NCQ.... whatever)

    From Device Manager, select "IDE/ATAPI controllers" and do a
    right-click/Properties on the nForce3 250 Serial ATA Controller of choice. My
    Raptor drive is on the Primary Channel of the second controller. From the
    appropriate Channel tab you can change the option for Command Queuing (reboot
    required, I think) and run the speed test.

    If you can, let us know what you find out (i.e. if it does or doesn't have the
    speed issue I encountered).
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    > On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 09:06:24 -0000, "Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I have the same board and disks. How did you enable (or disable) TCQ?
    >>(or
    >>NCQ.... whatever)
    >
    > From Device Manager, select "IDE/ATAPI controllers" and do a
    > right-click/Properties on the nForce3 250 Serial ATA Controller of choice.
    > My
    > Raptor drive is on the Primary Channel of the second controller. From the
    > appropriate Channel tab you can change the option for Command Queuing
    > (reboot
    > required, I think) and run the speed test.
    >
    > If you can, let us know what you find out (i.e. if it does or doesn't have
    > the
    > speed issue I encountered).

    Interesting.

    I have not installed the nVidia IDE drivers - I am using the Microsoft
    Windows XP2 ones - and the option is not there. I have had bad experiences
    with nVidia IDE drivers before (CD burner issues, drives shutting down and
    starting up again, all sorts of problems) so I thought I would not bother
    installing them.

    Everything seems to be working well. I get 140MB/s ATTO scores for both
    reads and writes and hdtach shows an average 129.9MB/s read across the whole
    array (Max 145MB/s, Min 106MB/s), with 237MBs burst and 8% CPU. This seems
    OK for my drives on an nforce3 controller.

    So I am reluctant to install the nVidia drivers and mess things up. I will
    probably risk it, however.

    But before I do, please can you do me a favour and (in Device Manager) check
    what version of nVidia IDE driver you are running? I assume its the latest?
    But even so, I am not sure what the latest IDE driver version is.

    Thanks

    Chip
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    Hi,

    I have the K8N Neo2 board and have one 36gig rapter on the primary sata
    channel and two 'NCQ' capable sata seagates on channels 3 & 4 in a raid0
    config. The command queuing option on all these drives just is not
    available. Under 'Properties' etc, the 'Enable Command Queuing' is there
    but is greyed out.

    Thanks,
    Shane
    "The Mad Downloader" <cablemodem@cablemodem.co.jp> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 09:06:24 -0000, "Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I have the same board and disks. How did you enable (or disable) TCQ?
    >>(or
    >>NCQ.... whatever)
    >
    > From Device Manager, select "IDE/ATAPI controllers" and do a
    > right-click/Properties on the nForce3 250 Serial ATA Controller of choice.
    > My
    > Raptor drive is on the Primary Channel of the second controller. From the
    > appropriate Channel tab you can change the option for Command Queuing
    > (reboot
    > required, I think) and run the speed test.
    >
    > If you can, let us know what you find out (i.e. if it does or doesn't have
    > the
    > speed issue I encountered).

  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 14:36:23 +1000, "no spam" <nospam@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >I have the K8N Neo2 board and have one 36gig rapter on the primary sata
    >channel and two 'NCQ' capable sata seagates on channels 3 & 4 in a raid0
    >config.

    can I ask you to make me a favor?
    I would like you to make me a bench of your Raptor & your drives on
    Raid0 & tell me the index you´ve got with this older Sandra to
    compare:

    Real life average performance: use this Sandra to get Index:
    http://users.volja.net/jerman55/SiSoftSandraMin.zip 459kB
    read Readme file inside
    Comparing indexes between different drives clearly shows their
    practical difference in speed.

    WD Raptor 76Gb 10k Rpm - gets index points of 41.500
    mine QuantumF+AS 20Gb /7,2k Rpm - points 19.500

    this means that mine 3y old one is more than once slower than that
    Raptor!

    TIA !
    --
    Regards, SPAJKY ®
    E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##

    "Spajky" <Spajky@##volja.net> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 14:36:23 +1000, "no spam" <nospam@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I have the K8N Neo2 board and have one 36gig rapter on the primary sata
    >>channel and two 'NCQ' capable sata seagates on channels 3 & 4 in a raid0
    >>config.
    >
    > can I ask you to make me a favor?
    > I would like you to make me a bench of your Raptor & your drives on
    > Raid0 & tell me the index you´ve got with this older Sandra to
    > compare:
    >
    > Real life average performance: use this Sandra to get Index:
    > http://users.volja.net/jerman55/SiSoftSandraMin.zip 459kB
    > read Readme file inside
    > Comparing indexes between different drives clearly shows their
    > practical difference in speed.
    >
    > WD Raptor 76Gb 10k Rpm - gets index points of 41.500
    > mine QuantumF+AS 20Gb /7,2k Rpm - points 19.500
    >
    > this means that mine 3y old one is more than once slower than that
    > Raptor!
    >
    > TIA !

    OK, I got 81,000

    I suspect it should be higher than that actually. The reason I say that is
    because it seemed low to me so I ran Sandra2005 straight afterwards and that
    scored 108, whereas it usually scores 120+. I suspect my disk fragmentation
    is reducing the score a bit.

    I guess mid 80's would be possible on a clean disk.

    Chip
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    Spajky,

    The drive index for the 36gig Raptor is 29178. The index for the Raid (2 X
    Seagates) is 64747.

    Regards,
    Shane
    "Spajky" <Spajky@##volja.net> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 14:36:23 +1000, "no spam" <nospam@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I have the K8N Neo2 board and have one 36gig rapter on the primary sata
    >>channel and two 'NCQ' capable sata seagates on channels 3 & 4 in a raid0
    >>config.
    >
    > can I ask you to make me a favor?
    > I would like you to make me a bench of your Raptor & your drives on
    > Raid0 & tell me the index you´ve got with this older Sandra to
    > compare:
    >
    > Real life average performance: use this Sandra to get Index:
    > http://users.volja.net/jerman55/SiSoftSandraMin.zip 459kB
    > read Readme file inside
    > Comparing indexes between different drives clearly shows their
    > practical difference in speed.
    >
    > WD Raptor 76Gb 10k Rpm - gets index points of 41.500
    > mine QuantumF+AS 20Gb /7,2k Rpm - points 19.500
    >
    > this means that mine 3y old one is more than once slower than that
    > Raptor!
    >
    > TIA !
    > --
    > Regards, SPAJKY ®
    > & visit my site @ http://www.spajky.vze.com
    > "Tualatin OC-ed / BX-Slot1 / inaudible setup!"
    > E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 13:02:37 +1000, "no spam" <nospam@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >The drive index for the 36gig Raptor is 29178. The index for the Raid (2 X
    >Seagates) is 64747.

    Shane, thanks!

    khm, I thought that 36G Raptor would have better result & Raid
    Seagates worse that came out ...

    You did it with that mine version of Sandra?
    --
    Regards, SPAJKY ®
    E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##

    On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 09:57:38 -0000, "Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net>
    wrote:

    >> Real life average performance: use this Sandra to get Index:
    >> http://users.volja.net/jerman55/SiSoftSandraMin.zip 459kB
    >> read Readme file inside
    >> Comparing indexes between different drives clearly shows their
    >> practical difference in speed.

    >OK, I got 81,000

    >I suspect it should be higher than that actually. The reason I say that is
    >because it seemed low to me so I ran Sandra2005 straight afterwards and that
    >scored 108, whereas it usually scores 120+. ....

    I can not use Your result, since you have done it with latest Sandra .

    That version (2001pro) that I proposed fopr HB benchmarking,
    is the last one which uses test file not bigger than 0,5Gb & do not
    depends on ammount of Ram & CPU installed; so all kinds of setups can
    be directly compared. (even 5 or more years old)

    With higher versions of Sandra thats not so & so you get with same HD
    on faster/more powerful setups better results (not really comparable).

    Sandra "grabs" all available Ram while doing this bench ...
    Chipset/HD controller drivers (DMA also) has VERY important impact on
    result ...

    BTW, the result you´ve got, was it for 2x Raptor76G in Raid0 ?

    --
    Regards, SPAJKY ®
    E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##

    > On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 09:57:38 -0000, "Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>> Real life average performance: use this Sandra to get Index:
    >>> http://users.volja.net/jerman55/SiSoftSandraMin.zip 459kB
    >>> read Readme file inside
    >>> Comparing indexes between different drives clearly shows their
    >>> practical difference in speed.
    >
    >>OK, I got 81,000
    >
    >>I suspect it should be higher than that actually. The reason I say that
    >>is
    >>because it seemed low to me so I ran Sandra2005 straight afterwards and
    >>that
    >>scored 108, whereas it usually scores 120+. ....
    >
    > I can not use Your result, since you have done it with latest Sandra .

    No, I haven't. I used the one you link to.

    Chip
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    "Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net> wrote in message

    > "Spajky" <Spajky@##volja.net> wrote in message

    >>>OK, I got 81,000
    >>
    >>>I suspect it should be higher than that actually. The reason I say that
    >>>is
    >>>because it seemed low to me so I ran Sandra2005 straight afterwards and
    >>>that
    >>>scored 108, whereas it usually scores 120+. ....
    >>
    >> I can not use Your result, since you have done it with latest Sandra .
    >
    > No, I haven't. I used the one you link to.
    >
    > Chip

    EDIT: Yes, that's with 2x74GB Raptors in Raid 0

    81,000 with Sandra 2001Pro.

    120,000 with Sandra 2005
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    Spajky,

    > You did it with that mine version of Sandra?

    Yes, used your version of Sandra.

    Shane

MSI-Microstar Wd Raptor Command Prompt Motherboards