Western Digital SATA 120

I am installing a WD 1200 Sata drive. The machine already has 2 IDE drives
configured as master and slave. I configured the SATA as master and the
ASUS board recognizes the IDE drives as primary and secondary boot devices.
It recognizes the SATA as Primary drive 3. Using WD tools I formatted the
SATA drive and copied all the files from drive c to it. Here's the problem.
Booting in this config it boots to drive c. In the Bios in the boot config
section there is no option to boot from the SATA drive. The only way to do
this is to unplug the 2 IDE drives. It will then put the SATA drive as
Primary and boot and attempt to boot from it. Yet after post and
recognizing the drive it will just go to black screen and nothing happens.
If I plug the ide drives back in it will then boot to C: Could someone
provide a play by play on how to get this thing booting from the SATA drive.
I dont mind reinstalling everything just need to get it going.

PS. When booting to windows from the IDE drives, Windows see's the SATA
drive as a removable device and puts a little icon down in the toolbar.
8 answers Last reply
More about western digital sata

    On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 10:10:10 -0600, "R. C. White" <rc@corridor.net>
    wrote:

    >Step 1: Find the floppy diskette that came with your SATA drive. If you
    >did not get a floppy, then find the SATA drivers on the CD-ROM that came
    >with it (or from the Western Digital website) and put the drivers onto a
    >floppy. Have that floppy at hand, then continue.

    One minor nit: the floppy shouldn't come the the drive, it should
    come with the motherboard.

    Another glitch. The only two drives I have connected right now are a CD_Rom
    plus the WD120 SATA drive. I have set it to boot from the CD-Rom, but when
    I try to install windows it says checking hardware configuration and then
    the screen goes black and nothing else happens. Any ideas. Should the
    SATA drive be formatted. Any ideas...

    "_MARK_" <markstonecipher@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I am installing a WD 1200 Sata drive. The machine already has 2 IDE drives
    >configured as master and slave. I configured the SATA as master and the
    >ASUS board recognizes the IDE drives as primary and secondary boot devices.
    >It recognizes the SATA as Primary drive 3. Using WD tools I formatted the
    >SATA drive and copied all the files from drive c to it. Here's the
    >problem. Booting in this config it boots to drive c. In the Bios in the
    >boot config section there is no option to boot from the SATA drive. The
    >only way to do this is to unplug the 2 IDE drives. It will then put the
    >SATA drive as Primary and boot and attempt to boot from it. Yet after post
    >and recognizing the drive it will just go to black screen and nothing
    >happens. If I plug the ide drives back in it will then boot to C: Could
    >someone provide a play by play on how to get this thing booting from the
    >SATA drive. I dont mind reinstalling everything just need to get it going.
    >
    > PS. When booting to windows from the IDE drives, Windows see's the SATA
    > drive as a removable device and puts a little icon down in the toolbar.

    Unfortunately it never gets to that point. It boots from CD then
    immediately checks hardware config, and at that point the screen goes black
    and it stops..

    "R. C. White" <rc@corridor.net> wrote in message
> [...]
    >>>I formatted the SATA drive and copied all the files from drive c to it.
    >>>Here's the problem. Booting in this config it boots to drive c. In the
    >>>Bios in the boot config section there is no option to boot from the SATA
    >>>drive. The only way to do this is to unplug the 2 IDE drives. It will
    >>>then put the SATA drive as Primary and boot and attempt to boot from it.
    >>>Yet after post and recognizing the drive it will just go to black screen
    >>>and nothing happens. If I plug the ide drives back in it will then boot
    >>>to C: Could someone provide a play by play on how to get this thing
    >>>booting from the SATA drive. I dont mind reinstalling everything just
    >>>need to get it going.
    >>>
    >>> PS. When booting to windows from the IDE drives, Windows see's the SATA
    >>> drive as a removable device and puts a little icon down in the toolbar.

    Mark
    I have an ASUS mobo and a SATA drive as well as an IDE drive and 2 DVD
    burners.
    You need to enter your BIOS and set the proper boot order.......in my Asus
    BIOS I picked CD as 1st boot and SCSI drive as 2nd boot.You also need to
    check the manual that came with your mobo to see if you need to plug the
    SATA into a specific SATA connector for it to boot.You did not mention the
    model of Mobo you have so I am hitting you with all the variances that ASUS
    has on their various mobo.Then you need to check the manual for jumpers to
    activate the SATA.usually preset at the factory but who knows??The Sata
    drivers are on the mobo CD you need to copy them to a floppy.
    Once you have all of that done.Then reboot with the XP CD in place and watch
    for the message "push any key to boot off CD"......do so and the XP setup
    program should begin.
    If not please do post back here....but check everything I have mentioned and
    let us know.
    peterk

    > Unfortunately it never gets to that point. It boots from CD then
    > immediately checks hardware config, and at that point the screen goes
    > black and it stops..
    >
    > "R. C. White" <rc@corridor.net> wrote in message
    >> Hi, Mark.
    >>
    >> No, the new drive need not be formatted before you begin; boot from the
    >> WinXP CD-ROM and let it create at least one partition and format it. If
    >> a partition already exists, you probably can use that, but I would delete
    >> that partition and start clean.
    >>
    >>> The only two drives I have connected right now are a CD_Rom plus the
    >>> WD120 SATA drive. I have set it to boot from the CD-Rom
    >>
    >> So far, so good.
    >>
    >>> when I try to install windows it says checking hardware configuration
    >>> and then the screen goes black and nothing else happens.
    >>
    >> For how long? Minutes? Hours? It may just be very busy checking a lot
    >> of hardware components.
    >>
    >> Since I don't have either ASUS or a SATA drive, I'm kind of flying blind
    >> about your BIOS setup. Have you checked out the ASUS websites I
    >> mentioned earlier? Did you get a manual with your motherboard or with
    >> your SATA drive? Have you RTFM? :^}
    >>
    >> Typically, you need to boot from the CD-ROM. Setup is smart enough to
    >> see the HD, partition and format it, and copy lots of files to it in the
    >> text-based phase of the installation, including installation of the boot
    >> device drivers, if required. Then Setup restarts the computer, which
    >> should boot from the HD (not the CD); this time it boots into the
    >> partially-installed WinXP for the first time and completes the GUI phase
    >> of Setup. That's why the drivers for SATA (or whatever will be the boot
    >> device) has to be installed before this reboot is attempted.
    >>
    >> RC
    >> --
    >> R. C. White, CPA
    >> San Marcos, TX
    >> rc@corridor.net
    >> Microsoft Windows MVP
    >>
    >> "_MARK_" <markstonecipher@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Another glitch. The only two drives I have connected right now are a
    >>> CD_Rom plus the WD120 SATA drive. I have set it to boot from the
    >>> CD-Rom, but when I try to install windows it says checking hardware
    >>> configuration and then the screen goes black and nothing else happens.
    >>> Any ideas. Should the SATA drive be formatted. Any ideas...
    >>>

    >>> "_MARK_" <markstonecipher@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    Xp setup stops at checking hardware. will not go any farther. If I unplug
    the SATA drive then it works

    "peterk" <peterk@nomalarky.net> wrote in message
    > Mark
    > I have an ASUS mobo and a SATA drive as well as an IDE drive and 2 DVD
    > burners.
    > You need to enter your BIOS and set the proper boot order.......in my Asus
    > BIOS I picked CD as 1st boot and SCSI drive as 2nd boot.You also need to
    > check the manual that came with your mobo to see if you need to plug the
    > SATA into a specific SATA connector for it to boot.You did not mention the
    > model of Mobo you have so I am hitting you with all the variances that
    > ASUS has on their various mobo.Then you need to check the manual for
    > jumpers to activate the SATA.usually preset at the factory but who
    > knows??The Sata drivers are on the mobo CD you need to copy them to a
    > floppy.
    > Once you have all of that done.Then reboot with the XP CD in place and
    > watch for the message "push any key to boot off CD"......do so and the XP
    > setup program should begin.
    > If not please do post back here....but check everything I have mentioned
    > and let us know.
    > peterk
    >
    > "_MARK_" <markstonecipher@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Unfortunately it never gets to that point. It boots from CD then
    >> immediately checks hardware config, and at that point the screen goes
    >> black and it stops..
    >>
    >> "R. C. White" <rc@corridor.net> wrote in message
    >>> Hi, Mark.
    >>>
    >>> No, the new drive need not be formatted before you begin; boot from the
    >>> WinXP CD-ROM and let it create at least one partition and format it. If
    >>> a partition already exists, you probably can use that, but I would
    >>> delete that partition and start clean.

    >>> So far, so good.

    >>> For how long? Minutes? Hours? It may just be very busy checking a lot
    >>> of hardware components.
    >>>
    >>> Since I don't have either ASUS or a SATA drive, I'm kind of flying blind
    >>> about your BIOS setup. Have you checked out the ASUS websites I
    >>> mentioned earlier? Did you get a manual with your motherboard or with
    >>> your SATA drive? Have you RTFM? :^}
    >>>
    >>> Typically, you need to boot from the CD-ROM. Setup is smart enough to
    >>> see the HD, partition and format it, and copy lots of files to it in the
    >>> text-based phase of the installation, including installation of the boot
    >>> device drivers, if required. Then Setup restarts the computer, which
    >>> should boot from the HD (not the CD); this time it boots into the
    >>> partially-installed WinXP for the first time and completes the GUI phase
    >>> of Setup. That's why the drivers for SATA (or whatever will be the boot
    >>> device) has to be installed before this reboot is attempted.
    >>>
    >>> RC
    >>> --
    >>> R. C. White, CPA
    >>> San Marcos, TX
    >>> rc@corridor.net
    >>> Microsoft Windows MVP
    >>>
    >>> "_MARK_" <markstonecipher@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    mark
    are you using an OE version of XP???
    peter
    "_MARK_" <markstonecipher@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Unfortunately it never gets to that point. It boots from CD then
    > immediately checks hardware config, and at that point the screen goes
    > black and it stops..
    >
    > "R. C. White" <rc@corridor.net> wrote in message
    >> Hi, Mark.
    >>
    >> No, the new drive need not be formatted before you begin; boot from the
    >> WinXP CD-ROM and let it create at least one partition and format it. If
    >> a partition already exists, you probably can use that, but I would delete
    >> that partition and start clean.
    >>
    >>> The only two drives I have connected right now are a CD_Rom plus the
    >>> WD120 SATA drive. I have set it to boot from the CD-Rom
    >>
    >> So far, so good.
    >>
    >>> when I try to install windows it says checking hardware configuration
    >>> and then the screen goes black and nothing else happens.
    >>
    >> For how long? Minutes? Hours? It may just be very busy checking a lot
    >> of hardware components.
    >>
    >> Since I don't have either ASUS or a SATA drive, I'm kind of flying blind
    >> about your BIOS setup. Have you checked out the ASUS websites I
    >> mentioned earlier? Did you get a manual with your motherboard or with
    >> your SATA drive? Have you RTFM? :^}
    >>
    >> Typically, you need to boot from the CD-ROM. Setup is smart enough to
    >> see the HD, partition and format it, and copy lots of files to it in the
    >> text-based phase of the installation, including installation of the boot
    >> device drivers, if required. Then Setup restarts the computer, which
    >> should boot from the HD (not the CD); this time it boots into the
    >> partially-installed WinXP for the first time and completes the GUI phase
    >> of Setup. That's why the drivers for SATA (or whatever will be the boot
    >> device) has to be installed before this reboot is attempted.
    >>
    >> RC
    >> --
    >> R. C. White, CPA
    >> San Marcos, TX
    >> rc@corridor.net
    >> Microsoft Windows MVP
    >>
    >> "_MARK_" <markstonecipher@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Another glitch. The only two drives I have connected right now are a
    >>> CD_Rom plus the WD120 SATA drive. I have set it to boot from the
    >>> CD-Rom, but when I try to install windows it says checking hardware
    >>> configuration and then the screen goes black and nothing else happens.
    >>> Any ideas. Should the SATA drive be formatted. Any ideas...
    >>>

    >>> "_MARK_" <markstonecipher@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    Retail version. ?Funny thing is I can boot from CD and install XP as long
    as the SATA drive is not installed..

    > mark
    > are you using an OE version of XP???
    > peter
    > "_MARK_" <markstonecipher@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Unfortunately it never gets to that point. It boots from CD then
    >> immediately checks hardware config, and at that point the screen goes
    >> black and it stops..
    >>
    >> "R. C. White" <rc@corridor.net> wrote in message
    >>> Hi, Mark.
    >>>
    >>> No, the new drive need not be formatted before you begin; boot from the
    >>> WinXP CD-ROM and let it create at least one partition and format it. If
    >>> a partition already exists, you probably can use that, but I would
    >>> delete that partition and start clean.

    >>> So far, so good.

    >>> For how long? Minutes? Hours? It may just be very busy checking a lot
    >>> of hardware components.
    >>>
    >>> Since I don't have either ASUS or a SATA drive, I'm kind of flying blind
    >>> about your BIOS setup. Have you checked out the ASUS websites I
    >>> mentioned earlier? Did you get a manual with your motherboard or with
    >>> your SATA drive? Have you RTFM? :^}
    >>>
    >>> Typically, you need to boot from the CD-ROM. Setup is smart enough to
    >>> see the HD, partition and format it, and copy lots of files to it in the
    >>> text-based phase of the installation, including installation of the boot
    >>> device drivers, if required. Then Setup restarts the computer, which
    >>> should boot from the HD (not the CD); this time it boots into the
    >>> partially-installed WinXP for the first time and completes the GUI phase
    >>> of Setup. That's why the drivers for SATA (or whatever will be the boot
    >>> device) has to be installed before this reboot is attempted.
    >>>
    >>> RC
    >>> --
    >>> R. C. White, CPA
    >>> San Marcos, TX
    >>> rc@corridor.net
    >>> Microsoft Windows MVP
    >>>
    >>> "_MARK_" <markstonecipher@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    Figured it out. Had earlier formatted and copied drive c to it. Deleted
    the partition and everything worked except one problem.. I have a little
    icon down in the tray that says removable device. How do I get rid of
    that...

    > Retail version. ?Funny thing is I can boot from CD and install XP as
    > long as the SATA drive is not installed..
    >
    > "peterk" <peterk@nomalarky.net> wrote in message
    >> mark
    >> are you using an OE version of XP???
    >> peter
    >> "_MARK_" <markstonecipher@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Unfortunately it never gets to that point. It boots from CD then
    >>> immediately checks hardware config, and at that point the screen goes
    >>> black and it stops..
    >>>
    >>> "R. C. White" <rc@corridor.net> wrote in message

SATA Boot Western Digital Windows XP