Rumor: No WM2003 SE for existing iPAQs

July 15, 2004 2:35:38 AM

Clipped from one of the PPC sites.

Ipaq HQ quotes: "HP is pleased to announce that it will support MS Windows
Mobile 2003 SE on new products. After extensive assessments of MS Windows
Mobile 2003 SE support on current products, HP has decided not to offer this
upgrade on existing product platforms. However, HP will provide users with a
more secure experience through the use of WiFi Protected Access Support
(WPA) on selected models.

Mitch
Anonymous
July 15, 2004 2:35:39 AM

Yep, you're eyes weren't deceiving you. The same news was posted on the
front page of Aximsite.com, Chris's other PDA forum. Looks like it's a done
deal for Dell and HP PDA's, no WM 2003 SE. If it weren't true, I'd think
both HP and Dell would come back with a statement. I really don't think
there will be an official press release by either company.

"Mitch_A" <naman-nospam@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> Clipped from one of the PPC sites.
>
> Ipaq HQ quotes: "HP is pleased to announce that it will support MS Windows
> Mobile 2003 SE on new products. After extensive assessments of MS Windows
> Mobile 2003 SE support on current products, HP has decided not to offer
> this
> upgrade on existing product platforms. However, HP will provide users with
> more secure experience through the use of WiFi Protected Access Support
> (WPA) on selected models.
>
> Mitch

Anonymous
July 15, 2004 2:35:39 AM

I have an HP 4155 (not even a few months old) and now I hear they won't be
releasing the Mobile 2003 SE for it... I am NOT happy.

Fool me once HP, shame on you...

"Mitch_A" <naman-nospam@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> Clipped from one of the PPC sites.
>
> Ipaq HQ quotes: "HP is pleased to announce that it will support MS
Windows
> Mobile 2003 SE on new products. After extensive assessments of MS Windows
> Mobile 2003 SE support on current products, HP has decided not to offer
this
> upgrade on existing product platforms. However, HP will provide users with
> more secure experience through the use of WiFi Protected Access Support
> (WPA) on selected models.
>
> Mitch

Related resources
July 15, 2004 3:03:34 PM

Not Surprised. Our application (that works perfectly on WM2003 on iPAQ
2210's) is completely unusable on WM2003SE.
IMHO, WM2003 Second Edition is simply NOT ready for primetime.
Good decision by HP.

Mark

"Mitch_A" <naman-nospam@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> Clipped from one of the PPC sites.
>
> Ipaq HQ quotes: "HP is pleased to announce that it will support MS
Windows
> Mobile 2003 SE on new products. After extensive assessments of MS Windows
> Mobile 2003 SE support on current products, HP has decided not to offer
this
> upgrade on existing product platforms. However, HP will provide users with
> more secure experience through the use of WiFi Protected Access Support
> (WPA) on selected models.
>
> Mitch

Anonymous
July 15, 2004 3:31:57 PM

"ultrajones" <ultrajones@hotmail.com> wrote in

> I have an HP 4155 (not even a few months old) and now I hear they
> won't be releasing the Mobile 2003 SE for it... I am NOT happy.
>
> Fool me once HP, shame on you...

Bear in mind that for non-VGA PPC, the only usefull feature of WM2003SE
is the display rotation. I'd rather not have that than get a whole new
set of bugs.

> "Mitch_A" <naman-nospam@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>> Clipped from one of the PPC sites.
>>
>> Ipaq HQ quotes: "HP is pleased to announce that it will support MS
> Windows
>> Mobile 2003 SE on new products. After extensive assessments of MS
>> Windows Mobile 2003 SE support on current products, HP has decided
>> not to offer
> this
>> upgrade on existing product platforms. However, HP will provide users
>> with
>> more secure experience through the use of WiFi Protected Access
>> Support (WPA) on selected models.
>>
>> Mitch

Anonymous
July 15, 2004 3:31:58 PM

Reply to message from Asher N <compguy666@hotmail.com> (Thu, 15 Jul 2004
07:31:57) about "Re: Rumor: No WM2003 SE for existing iPAQs":

AN> "ultrajones" <ultrajones@hotmail. com> wrote in news:
AN> XMKdneSWyLIEeGjdRVn- jw@wideopenwest.com:

>> I have an HP 4155 (not even a few months old) and now I hear they won't
>> be releasing the Mobile 2003 SE for it...
>> I am NOT happy.

>> Fool me once HP, shame on you...

AN> Bear in mind that for non-VGA PPC, the only usefull feature of
AN> WM2003SE is the display rotation. I'd rather not have that than get a
AN> whole new set of bugs.

I agree. Don't really get all the hoopla over this issue. My 2215 works
just fine as is and I don't see where SE would add any real functionality
without a VGA screen.

Don
===
Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.5
Anonymous
July 15, 2004 7:24:29 PM

"Asher N" <compguy666@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Bear in mind that for non-VGA PPC, the only usefull feature of WM2003SE
> is the display rotation. I'd rather not have that than get a whole new
> set of bugs.

I wouldn't say that screen rotation is the only useful addition.One other
big one that comes to mind that is important to some people is the
improvement to Pocket Internet Explorer in 2nd Edition. The One-Column
formatting works very well and the HTML rendering engine seems much faster
to me.
--
Todd Ogasawara, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices
Online Editor - http://MobileViews.com/ -- PDA & Wireless Info

Just got a Dell Axim X30 three weeks ago. It has WM2003 SE installed out of
factory !

Yong

"CopperTrail" <wooch06@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Yep, you're eyes weren't deceiving you. The same news was posted on the
> front page of Aximsite.com, Chris's other PDA forum. Looks like it's a
done
> deal for Dell and HP PDA's, no WM 2003 SE. If it weren't true, I'd think
> both HP and Dell would come back with a statement. I really don't think
> there will be an official press release by either company.
>
> "Mitch_A" <naman-nospam@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> > Clipped from one of the PPC sites.
> >
> > Ipaq HQ quotes: "HP is pleased to announce that it will support MS
Windows
> > Mobile 2003 SE on new products. After extensive assessments of MS
Windows
> > Mobile 2003 SE support on current products, HP has decided not to offer
> > this
> > upgrade on existing product platforms. However, HP will provide users
with
> > more secure experience through the use of WiFi Protected Access Support
> > (WPA) on selected models.
> >
> > Mitch

Anonymous
July 19, 2004 3:58:56 PM

Hmm ... I don't agree completely ...
I use Nyditot to create a virtual desk which is much better than the
small windows I usually get on the ppc.
Having an IPAQ 2215, I wished I could change resolutions without the
need of a reboot.
(This way I can change to Excel and use a large deskop, while using
TomTom will stillfunction on a normal PPC screen size)

!