MSI mobo that supports ECC Registered PC2100 DDR?

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Hi,

My MSI K7D Master is dying (burst capacitors) so I need a new motherboard :(

I have 2*512MB Crucial ECC Registered PC2100 DDR that I'd like to reuse
so I need to find a motherboard that supports Athlon XP 1900+ and ECC
registered RAM.

Does anyone here run this type of RAM in a non-server MSI board?

I'm going to upgrade my rig to AMD64 next summer but I just need
something cheap to tide me over that will run with my existing CPU and RAM.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

ross

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 16:17:15 GMT, Chris <news@NOSPICEDHAM4ME.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>My MSI K7D Master is dying (burst capacitors) so I need a new motherboard :(
>
>I have 2*512MB Crucial ECC Registered PC2100 DDR that I'd like to reuse
>so I need to find a motherboard that supports Athlon XP 1900+ and ECC
>registered RAM.
>
>Does anyone here run this type of RAM in a non-server MSI board?

I know the MSI K7T266 Pro2-A will run Smart Modular Technologies 512MB
PC2100 DDR Registered ECC modules. Also, the SOYO SY-K7V Dragon Plus! will run these modules AND
it has very large capacitors compared to the MSI board. At the time these boards were new and
being reviewed - this was one of the noted differences which drew my attention. The reviewer
indicated this allowed the Soyo board to maintain better voltage/current output over it's
competitors.

HTH,
Ross
Lake of the Woods
Canada

Previously Chris <news@nospicedham4me.com> wrote:
> Hi,

> My MSI K7D Master is dying (burst capacitors) so I need a new motherboard :(

> I have 2*512MB Crucial ECC Registered PC2100 DDR that I'd like to reuse
> so I need to find a motherboard that supports Athlon XP 1900+ and ECC
> registered RAM.

> Does anyone here run this type of RAM in a non-server MSI board?

> I'm going to upgrade my rig to AMD64 next summer but I just need
> something cheap to tide me over that will run with my existing CPU and RAM.

> Any suggestions appreciated.

Capacitors can be repaired. If yiu know someone with electonics
and soldering skills, this might be the cheapest option. I have
done this myself several times successfully. The important
aspects are to match the original capacitances exactly and to
get "low-ESR" replacement capacitors, e.g. Rubycon "ZL" series.
Apart from that it is just soldering skills.

Arno