Plugging a Self Powered USB Hub into a Reg. USB Hub?

I have a larger Belkin 4 port 2.0 USB hub which uses a power supply. I
recently bought one of those tiny self powered USB 4 port hubs because
I need to add on more ports in addition to the Belkin.

My questions are: is it safe to plug the tiny self powered hub into
the larger Belkin? The tiny hub has an equally tiny upstream cord
(~2"), not long enough to connect it directly to the back of my xp
computer (which has 2 usb ports, one of which is used by the Belkin,
the other by a scanner) without having it dangle down. If this is not
a safe setup, then is there some longer connector cord which I can use
to patch the tiny usb hub to the back of my pc which will allow the
tiny hub to actually sit on the desk? Finally, are these tiny self
powered usb hubs reliable, or should I have gone for the more
expensive, standard Belkin, like the one I already have?

Thanks for any help offered
5 answers Last reply
More about plugging powered

    Some USB devices required more amps to run than is available
    when non-powered hubs are daisy-chained. But the USB is
    capable of having a theoretical 127 devices .

    If you only have 2 USB ports in the rear, very likely you
    only have USB 1.1 and not USB 2.0. Your best option would
    be to buy a USB 2.0 PCI card and install it in your
    computer, often these will allow you to also install a front
    panel port array. (You can get combo cards with USB 2.0 and
    Firewire)

    Some things require a higher power (a scanner perhaps) or a
    direct connection ( a printer perhaps) but some things will
    work well daisy-chained (keyboards and mice).

    Check out www.usb.org

    Bosk wrote:

    > I have a larger Belkin 4 port 2.0 USB hub which uses a power supply. I
    > recently bought one of those tiny self powered USB 4 port hubs because
    > I need to add on more ports in addition to the Belkin.
    >
    > My questions are: is it safe to plug the tiny self powered hub into
    > the larger Belkin? The tiny hub has an equally tiny upstream cord
    > (~2"), not long enough to connect it directly to the back of my xp
    > computer (which has 2 usb ports, one of which is used by the Belkin,
    > the other by a scanner) without having it dangle down. If this is not
    > a safe setup, then is there some longer connector cord which I can use
    > to patch the tiny usb hub to the back of my pc which will allow the
    > tiny hub to actually sit on the desk? Finally, are these tiny self
    > powered usb hubs reliable, or should I have gone for the more
    > expensive, standard Belkin, like the one I already have?
    >
    > Thanks for any help offered

    Shouldn't be a problem chaining hubs unless the TOTAL length of cables
    from you computer through the hubs to one of your USB devices starts
    getting up into the four meter / 13 ft range. Chaining hubs is part of
    the USB concept.

    A powered hub releaves the computer from supplying the electricity that
    powers USB devices like wired keyboards, wired mice, wireless
    mouse/keyboard receivers, memory card readers and many game controlers.
    Things like scanners, printers and force feedback game controlers often
    have their own independent power converters.

    Many USB hubs use standard A to B connectors to link them to the
    computer. Longer versions of these cables are typicaly available at
    computer dealers and chain office supply stores.

    Yes, you can do this. Self-powered hubs simply draw power from their own AC
    adapter rather than from the PC's bus. Setting up your hubs in this fashion
    would, in essence, provide you two powered hubs, as the smaller hub would
    also draw power from the AC outlet.

    Adding too many additional non-powered hubs, however, could over-task your
    powered hub, though, as every device connected in the chain will draw power
    from the single AC adapter.

    "Bosk" <bosk10@rogers.com> wrote in message
    >I have a larger Belkin 4 port 2.0 USB hub which uses a power supply. I
    > recently bought one of those tiny self powered USB 4 port hubs because
    > I need to add on more ports in addition to the Belkin.
    >
    > My questions are: is it safe to plug the tiny self powered hub into
    > the larger Belkin? The tiny hub has an equally tiny upstream cord
    > (~2"), not long enough to connect it directly to the back of my xp
    > computer (which has 2 usb ports, one of which is used by the Belkin,
    > the other by a scanner) without having it dangle down. If this is not
    > a safe setup, then is there some longer connector cord which I can use
    > to patch the tiny usb hub to the back of my pc which will allow the
    > tiny hub to actually sit on the desk? Finally, are these tiny self
    > powered usb hubs reliable, or should I have gone for the more
    > expensive, standard Belkin, like the one I already have?
    >
    > Thanks for any help offered

    I've never had any problems running a self-powered 4-port hub off the back
    of my pc and then plugging in a 2nd hub to the first. I have LOTS of USB
    devices and have never had any problems in any combination when using
    self-powered hubs (do not buy non-powered), e.g. separately connected to pc
    or daisy chained.

    In your case, I'd suggest just get a USB extension cable to extend the new
    hubs physical location. Plug the extension into where the scanner is now and
    plug the scanner into one of the hubs. Don't think Windows will even ask for
    the Windows cd (can't remember for sure). Apparently the "specs" suggest
    maximum cable length of < 20' but my Creative webcam (which only gets power
    of USB) continues to work fine with two 10' and a 6' extension included on
    it's 8' cable (30+ feet!).

    One last note : I've seen so called "self-powered" hubs that although
    technically self-powered only are able to provide 500Ma. total rather than
    500Ma. to every connection at same time. Hence when you start plugging in
    power hungry devices (ie. Logitech Rumblepad wants 500Ma, so does Creative
    Webcam) some don't/can't function properly. Be cautious as it can be hard to
    tell from the outside of the box.

    "Bosk" <bosk10@rogers.com> wrote in message
    >I have a larger Belkin 4 port 2.0 USB hub which uses a power supply. I
    > recently bought one of those tiny self powered USB 4 port hubs because
    > I need to add on more ports in addition to the Belkin.
    >
    > My questions are: is it safe to plug the tiny self powered hub into
    > the larger Belkin? The tiny hub has an equally tiny upstream cord
    > (~2"), not long enough to connect it directly to the back of my xp
    > computer (which has 2 usb ports, one of which is used by the Belkin,
    > the other by a scanner) without having it dangle down. If this is not
    > a safe setup, then is there some longer connector cord which I can use
    > to patch the tiny usb hub to the back of my pc which will allow the
    > tiny hub to actually sit on the desk? Finally, are these tiny self
    > powered usb hubs reliable, or should I have gone for the more
    > expensive, standard Belkin, like the one I already have?
    >
    > Thanks for any help offered

    The simple answer is go ahead.

    XP can identify up to 127 [it may now be 255] devices 'daisey chained' on a
    USB port. You just have to get enough power to each item.

    "pjp" wrote:

    > I've never had any problems running a self-powered 4-port hub off the back
    > of my pc and then plugging in a 2nd hub to the first. I have LOTS of USB
    > devices and have never had any problems in any combination when using
    > self-powered hubs (do not buy non-powered), e.g. separately connected to pc
    > or daisy chained.
    >
    > In your case, I'd suggest just get a USB extension cable to extend the new
    > hubs physical location. Plug the extension into where the scanner is now and
    > plug the scanner into one of the hubs. Don't think Windows will even ask for
    > the Windows cd (can't remember for sure). Apparently the "specs" suggest
    > maximum cable length of < 20' but my Creative webcam (which only gets power
    > of USB) continues to work fine with two 10' and a 6' extension included on
    > it's 8' cable (30+ feet!).
    >
    > One last note : I've seen so called "self-powered" hubs that although
    > technically self-powered only are able to provide 500Ma. total rather than
    > 500Ma. to every connection at same time. Hence when you start plugging in
    > power hungry devices (ie. Logitech Rumblepad wants 500Ma, so does Creative
    > Webcam) some don't/can't function properly. Be cautious as it can be hard to
    > tell from the outside of the box.
    >
    > "Bosk" <bosk10@rogers.com> wrote in message
    > >I have a larger Belkin 4 port 2.0 USB hub which uses a power supply. I
    > > recently bought one of those tiny self powered USB 4 port hubs because
    > > I need to add on more ports in addition to the Belkin.
    > >
    > > My questions are: is it safe to plug the tiny self powered hub into
    > > the larger Belkin? The tiny hub has an equally tiny upstream cord
    > > (~2"), not long enough to connect it directly to the back of my xp
    > > computer (which has 2 usb ports, one of which is used by the Belkin,
    > > the other by a scanner) without having it dangle down. If this is not
    > > a safe setup, then is there some longer connector cord which I can use
    > > to patch the tiny usb hub to the back of my pc which will allow the
    > > tiny hub to actually sit on the desk? Finally, are these tiny self
    > > powered usb hubs reliable, or should I have gone for the more
    > > expensive, standard Belkin, like the one I already have?
    > >
    > > Thanks for any help offered

USB Tiny Belkin Windows XP