HELP: Canon SmartBase MPC200 (USB): Unable to detect (runn..

Hi.

I am trying to install the above multi-function device on a friend's
brand-new computer running XP SP2.

When I connect the device (using a USB cable) to the computer there is
no recognition, and no error - simply no indication of any device
having been attached!

I am unable to get to the "Found new hardware" stage at all by
plugging in the printer, nor am I able to find it if I try to do this
"manually" through the "Add Printer" route (which is, at least,
consistent).

There is no indication of any USB errors (or any other errors) in the
Device Manager and other USB devices work fine in this machine.

Also, the same MFD worked absolutely fine with a previous (older)
machine (also connecting with USB).

Please can somebody help? I have totally run out of ideas (and the
folks at Canon were equally flummoxed!)

Many thanks in advance.

Steve.
6 answers Last reply
More about help canon smartbase mpc200 unable detect runn

    Try a different cable.
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing & Imaging)
    www.coribright.com

    Cari (MS-MVP) wrote:
    > Try a different cable.

    Already have done. No joy.

    Steve.

    Abhilash Tibrewal(MCSA) wrote:
    > Are other USB devices working fine on your computer?
    > Check Device Manager(Start>Control Panel>System> hardware>Device
    Manager) to
    > check if the USB ports are installed and working fine. Try different
    USB
    > ports(front and rear) and check.

    Yes. All other USB devices work fine. There is no indication of any
    fault in Device Manager and I have tried using both the front and rear
    ports.

    Any other ideas?

    Thanks.

    Steve.

    Also.

    I know that a similar problem has been discussed before:

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.accessibility/msg/3662f4388aed0ed7

    However, the australian patch cannot be applied in my case as I have
    nothing to patch! When I try to install this patch I get a dialog -
    "there is no need to update this system".

    > Cari (MS-MVP) wrote:
    >> Try a different cable.
    >
    > Already have done. No joy.
    >
    > Steve.

    Nothing specific. Disconnect all the USB devices from your system(except
    keyboard and mouse, if they are on USB) and check if it is detected. Also,
    check the multi-function device on another computer to rule out hardware
    issues.

    > Abhilash Tibrewal(MCSA) wrote:
    >> Are other USB devices working fine on your computer?
    >> Check Device Manager(Start>Control Panel>System> hardware>Device
    > Manager) to
    >> check if the USB ports are installed and working fine. Try different
    > USB
    >> ports(front and rear) and check.
    >
    > Yes. All other USB devices work fine. There is no indication of any
    > fault in Device Manager and I have tried using both the front and rear
    > ports.
    >
    > Any other ideas?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Steve.