HELP: Canon SmartBase MPC200 (USB): Unable to detect (runn..

February 18, 2005 3:32:40 PM

Hi.

I am trying to install the above multi-function device on a friend's
brand-new computer running XP SP2.

When I connect the device (using a USB cable) to the computer there is
no recognition, and no error - simply no indication of any device
having been attached!

I am unable to get to the "Found new hardware" stage at all by
plugging in the printer, nor am I able to find it if I try to do this
"manually" through the "Add Printer" route (which is, at least,
consistent).

There is no indication of any USB errors (or any other errors) in the
Device Manager and other USB devices work fine in this machine.

Also, the same MFD worked absolutely fine with a previous (older)
machine (also connecting with USB).

Please can somebody help? I have totally run out of ideas (and the
folks at Canon were equally flummoxed!)

Many thanks in advance.

Steve.

More about : canon smartbase mpc200 usb unable detect runn

Anonymous
February 19, 2005 3:51:04 PM

Try a different cable.
--
Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing & Imaging)
www.coribright.com

"Steve" <scrompton@zoom.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi.
>
> I am trying to install the above multi-function device on a friend's
> brand-new computer running XP SP2.
>
> When I connect the device (using a USB cable) to the computer there is
> no recognition, and no error - simply no indication of any device
> having been attached!
>
> I am unable to get to the "Found new hardware" stage at all by
> plugging in the printer, nor am I able to find it if I try to do this
> "manually" through the "Add Printer" route (which is, at least,
> consistent).
>
> There is no indication of any USB errors (or any other errors) in the
> Device Manager and other USB devices work fine in this machine.
>
> Also, the same MFD worked absolutely fine with a previous (older)
> machine (also connecting with USB).
>
> Please can somebody help? I have totally run out of ideas (and the
> folks at Canon were equally flummoxed!)
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> Steve.

Anonymous
February 19, 2005 8:12:16 PM

Cari (MS-MVP) wrote:
> Try a different cable.

Already have done. No joy.

Steve.
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 12:20:00 PM

Abhilash Tibrewal(MCSA) wrote:
> Are other USB devices working fine on your computer?
> Check Device Manager(Start>Control Panel>System> hardware>Device
Manager) to
> check if the USB ports are installed and working fine. Try different
USB
> ports(front and rear) and check.

Yes. All other USB devices work fine. There is no indication of any
fault in Device Manager and I have tried using both the front and rear
ports.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Steve.
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 2:01:18 PM

Also.

I know that a similar problem has been discussed before:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.wi...

However, the australian patch cannot be applied in my case as I have
nothing to patch! When I try to install this patch I get a dialog -
"there is no need to update this system".
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 10:26:14 PM

> Cari (MS-MVP) wrote:
>> Try a different cable.
>
> Already have done. No joy.
>
> Steve.

Anonymous
February 21, 2005 11:44:25 PM

Nothing specific. Disconnect all the USB devices from your system(except
keyboard and mouse, if they are on USB) and check if it is detected. Also,
check the multi-function device on another computer to rule out hardware
issues.

!