msi k8n neo2 platinum with 90nm chips

Mike

Splendid

I haven't purchased an MSI product in 3 years, so I figured I'd give
them a shot with the new k8n neo2 platinum 939 board. I ordered that
board along with some Kingston DDR 4000 and an Athlon 64 3200+ on the
90nm winchester core. I have built hundreds of systems, so like I
normally do, I carefully assembled the system and then tried to boot
it. All I got was the 4 solid red dots on the back of the system.
According to the manual, this means the cpu is damaged. So, I
believed the manual, and got an Athlon 64 3000+ and tried that chip.
Same result. Is it possible that the bios does not recognize the
newer AMD cpus? I have no idea what bios this board has on it since it
has never posted.

Mike wrote:
> I haven't purchased an MSI product in 3 years, so I figured I'd give
> them a shot with the new k8n neo2 platinum 939 board. I ordered that
> board along with some Kingston DDR 4000 and an Athlon 64 3200+ on the
> 90nm winchester core. I have built hundreds of systems, so like I
> normally do, I carefully assembled the system and then tried to boot
> it. All I got was the 4 solid red dots on the back of the system.
> According to the manual, this means the cpu is damaged. So, I
> believed the manual, and got an Athlon 64 3000+ and tried that chip.
> Same result. Is it possible that the bios does not recognize the
> newer AMD cpus? I have no idea what bios this board has on it since it
> has never posted.

hi

i got a k8n neo2 platinum and that mb had bios 1.2 installed.

Model Version Size Platform BIOS BIOS Date Counter
K8N Neo2 Platinum (MS-7025) v. 1.3 312 kb AMD Award BIOS 9/24/2004
1. This is Award BIOS release.
2. This BIOS fixes the following problem(s) of the previous version:
- Updates CPU ID.
- Supports Sempron CPU 1800+.
- Fixes K8-939 RevD CPU cool 'n' quiet can't work properly.

Model Version Size Platform BIOS BIOS Date Counter
K8N Neo2 Platinum (MS-7025) v. 1.2 312 kb AMD Award BIOS 8/30/2004
1. This is Award BIOS release.
2. This BIOS fixes the following problem(s) of the previous version:
- Supports FSB up to 450MHz.
- Supports K8 CPU Rev. D 939-Pin 128-bit.

you may be right about that "new" amd's wont boot......

coco

CoCo <cocotm@tele2.se> wrote in

> i got a k8n neo2 platinum and that mb had bios 1.2 installed.
>

> Model Version Size Platform BIOS BIOS
> Date Counter K8N Neo2 Platinum (MS-7025) v. 1.3 312 kb
> AMD Award BIOS 9/24/2004 1. This is Award BIOS
> release. 2. This BIOS fixes the following problem(s) of the previous
> version: - Updates CPU ID.
> - Supports Sempron CPU 1800+.
> - Fixes K8-939 RevD CPU cool 'n' quiet can't work properly.
>
> Model Version Size Platform BIOS BIOS Date
> Counter K8N Neo2 Platinum (MS-7025) v. 1.2 312 kb AMD
> Award BIOS 8/30/2004 1. This is Award BIOS release.
> 2. This BIOS fixes the following problem(s) of the previous version:
> - Supports FSB up to 450MHz.
> - Supports K8 CPU Rev. D 939-Pin 128-bit.
> >>>>

> you may be right about that "new" amd's wont boot......

Assuming he got the same BIOS 1.2 load you did, he should be OK
- Supports K8 CPU Rev. D 939-Pin 128-bit.

scott s.
..

Mike

Splendid

"scott s." <75270_3703a@csi.xcom> wrote in message news:<Xns95A3EFB10F5B3752703703acsicom@205.188.138.161>...
> CoCo <cocotm@tele2.se> wrote in
>

> > i got a k8n neo2 platinum and that mb had bios 1.2 installed.
> >

> > Model Version Size Platform BIOS BIOS
> > Date Counter K8N Neo2 Platinum (MS-7025) v. 1.3 312 kb
> > AMD Award BIOS 9/24/2004 1. This is Award BIOS
> > release. 2. This BIOS fixes the following problem(s) of the previous
> > version: - Updates CPU ID.
> > - Supports Sempron CPU 1800+.
> > - Fixes K8-939 RevD CPU cool 'n' quiet can't work properly.
> >
> > Model Version Size Platform BIOS BIOS Date
> > Counter K8N Neo2 Platinum (MS-7025) v. 1.2 312 kb AMD
> > Award BIOS 8/30/2004 1. This is Award BIOS release.
> > 2. This BIOS fixes the following problem(s) of the previous version:
> > - Supports FSB up to 450MHz.
> > - Supports K8 CPU Rev. D 939-Pin 128-bit.
> > >>>>

> > you may be right about that "new" amd's wont boot......
>
> Assuming he got the same BIOS 1.2 load you did, he should be OK
> - Supports K8 CPU Rev. D 939-Pin 128-bit.
>
> scott s.
> .

Ok, so I got my board to boot now. Check this thread out:

http://forum.msi.com.tw/thread.php?threadid=66540

Read at the very bottom... Do you think I should RMA the board as well
since I now have the exact same problem? The system seems to function
fine after I get it booted up, but if I unplug it from the wall and
plug it back in, it does it's "half way on" thing until you hit the
power button twice, and then it boots fine. I'm just wondering if a
bios update will fix this, or if it's a massive hardware issue.

I have learned today that the early revision.0 MSI 6702E boards (mine was
manufactured in August) cannot do the new 90 nm CPU without a bios update.
In my situation, the board will not post and therefore I cannot upgrade the
bios. I have RMA'ed the board back to MSI. Whether or not they will charge
for the bios upgrade I don't know. The only way around the problem without
a RMA is to borrow an older 130 nm CPU to boot they system and then upgrade
the bios. After this, the 90 nm CPU should be OK. MSI is not alone in
this. There is a discussion involving the similar Asus AV8 mainboard at
http://forums.viaarena.com/messageview.cfm?catid=12&threadid=61943&enterthread=y