MSI K8N - NB readings

This is going to sound like a stupid question, but I've googled and I've
found no answer.

I have a MSI K8N Neo (socket 754) motherboard, and using the 'Core
Center' app I can see fan speed and CPU temp.

There are 3 other readings which I'm not sure about. SYS TEMP, NB TEMP
and NB fan speed.

SYS TEMP shows n/a. Looking at the specs of the Motherboard there is no
mention of system temp monitor, so N/A is expected, I guess.
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=572

Although, having a look at a few threads on the tech forums, a System
Temp is expected, but where is the physical monitor for this reading?

NB temp shows a reading of 53C (CPU temp is pretty low, around 32-38C).

Firstly, this does not make sense. If its correct there is some corner
of my PC which is 20C more than the CPU temp!

Where exactly is this temp reading being taken from? Also NB Fan speed
is at 0. Where is this Fan?!

Basically, what exactly is a NB? and do I have one? :)

I've tried other temp sensor software. They all show similar readings.

My system is

Athlon 64 3000+
Socket 754 MSI K8N Neo Platinum
Sapphire 9800 Pro
Only one rear case fan installed.

Thanks

mark

NB is your NorthBridge fan if you have one on the chipset.

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 15:12:34 -0500, Mark wrote:

> NB is your NorthBridge fan if you have one on the chipset.

The MSI k8N doesn't have it. Its strange that its showing a reading for it.

"OVS" <sa@Sa.com> wrote in message news:301o28F2rmvlrU1@uni-berlin.de...
> This is going to sound like a stupid question, but I've googled and I've
> found no answer.
>
> I have a MSI K8N Neo (socket 754) motherboard, and using the 'Core
> Center' app I can see fan speed and CPU temp.
>
> There are 3 other readings which I'm not sure about. SYS TEMP, NB TEMP
> and NB fan speed.
>
> SYS TEMP shows n/a. Looking at the specs of the Motherboard there is no
> mention of system temp monitor, so N/A is expected, I guess.
> http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=572
>
> Although, having a look at a few threads on the tech forums, a System
> Temp is expected, but where is the physical monitor for this reading?
>
> NB temp shows a reading of 53C (CPU temp is pretty low, around 32-38C).
>
> Firstly, this does not make sense. If its correct there is some corner
> of my PC which is 20C more than the CPU temp!
>
> Where exactly is this temp reading being taken from? Also NB Fan speed
> is at 0. Where is this Fan?!
>
> Basically, what exactly is a NB? and do I have one? :)
>
> I've tried other temp sensor software. They all show similar readings.
>

> My system is
>
> Athlon 64 3000+
> Socket 754 MSI K8N Neo Platinum
> Sapphire 9800 Pro
> Only one rear case fan installed.
>
> Thanks

The chipset is known to run very hot in the Neo. Mine is currently reported
at 50c.

--
Derek

"OVS" <Ovs@spam.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 15:12:34 -0500, Mark wrote:
>
>> NB is your NorthBridge fan if you have one on the chipset.
>
> The MSI k8N doesn't have it. Its strange that its showing a reading for
> it.

But the Neo 2 does, and the fan header is probably there to fit one yourself
if you want.

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 01:17:09 -0000, "Derek Baker"
<me@xyzderekbaker.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

>"OVS" <sa@Sa.com> wrote in message news:301o28F2rmvlrU1@uni-berlin.de...
>> This is going to sound like a stupid question, but I've googled and I've
>> found no answer.
>>
>> I have a MSI K8N Neo (socket 754) motherboard, and using the 'Core
>> Center' app I can see fan speed and CPU temp.
>>
>> There are 3 other readings which I'm not sure about. SYS TEMP, NB TEMP
>> and NB fan speed.
>>
>> SYS TEMP shows n/a. Looking at the specs of the Motherboard there is no
>> mention of system temp monitor, so N/A is expected, I guess.
>> http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=572
>>
>> Although, having a look at a few threads on the tech forums, a System
>> Temp is expected, but where is the physical monitor for this reading?
>>
>> NB temp shows a reading of 53C (CPU temp is pretty low, around 32-38C).
>>
>> Firstly, this does not make sense. If its correct there is some corner
>> of my PC which is 20C more than the CPU temp!
>>
>> Where exactly is this temp reading being taken from? Also NB Fan speed
>> is at 0. Where is this Fan?!
>>
>> Basically, what exactly is a NB? and do I have one? :)
>>
>> I've tried other temp sensor software. They all show similar readings.
>>

>> My system is
>>
>> Athlon 64 3000+
>> Socket 754 MSI K8N Neo Platinum
>> Sapphire 9800 Pro
>> Only one rear case fan installed.
>>
>> Thanks
>
>The chipset is known to run very hot in the Neo. Mine is currently reported
>at 50c.
mine also
put a silent casefan behind it - running full speed - and it's doing
38-41 centigrade now.