MSI K8N Neo2 Platinium: IDE devices not recognized

This is my first MSI motherboard and my first time here... hello all and
be nice with me. :)

Yesterday I bought a MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinium with:

AMD 64 3500+ cpu
2x512MB Corsair XMS RAM in slots 1 and 2
ATI 9800 Pro 256bits 128MB Sapphire video board AGP
Antec 1080 case 430W

Hitachi Deskstar HD 120GB SATA in SATA 1

Asus DVD/CD drive (read/write) IDE interface model DRW-1604P

The HD is on SATA 1

The system works (so far) BUT... the IDE device (DVD/CD) is not
recognized and doesn't appear in the Bios.

I tried with BOTH MSI red round cable and the flat cable provided with
the drive.

I tried (I guess) all the combinations master/slave/cable select on IDE
ports 1 and 2.

The drive is correctly powered: I can open and close it.
The drive works: tested on another system

The MSI MB reports no problem it seems.

I'm a bit desperate here. I have built more then 25 different systems in
my life (not counting updates) and never experienced such a problem (and
I won't mention the price I paid for the current system).

Can someone help? Thanks a lot.

(I posted on MSI BB too)
9 answers Last reply
More about neo2 platinium devices recognized

    MikeCh wrote:
    > This is my first MSI motherboard and my first time here... hello all and
    > be nice with me. :)
    >
    > Yesterday I bought a MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinium with:
    >
    > AMD 64 3500+ cpu
    > 2x512MB Corsair XMS RAM in slots 1 and 2
    > ATI 9800 Pro 256bits 128MB Sapphire video board AGP
    > Antec 1080 case 430W
    >
    > Hitachi Deskstar HD 120GB SATA in SATA 1
    >
    > Asus DVD/CD drive (read/write) IDE interface model DRW-1604P
    >

    > The HD is on SATA 1
    >
    > The system works (so far) BUT... the IDE device (DVD/CD) is not
    > recognized and doesn't appear in the Bios.
    >
    > I tried with BOTH MSI red round cable and the flat cable provided with
    > the drive.
    >
    > I tried (I guess) all the combinations master/slave/cable select on IDE
    > ports 1 and 2.
    >
    > The drive is correctly powered: I can open and close it.
    > The drive works: tested on another system
    >
    > The MSI MB reports no problem it seems.
    >
    > I'm a bit desperate here. I have built more then 25 different systems in
    > my life (not counting updates) and never experienced such a problem (and
    > I won't mention the price I paid for the current system).
    >
    > Can someone help? Thanks a lot.
    >
    > (I posted on MSI BB too)

    hi

    have you tested just one dvd/cd drive or both all the time? test with
    one drive w/o jumpers at the cable end with bios set to pio mode only.

    (looks like a faulty mb to me, mine did reconice 2 drives without
    anything changed in bios)

    another test is hooking up a old hd on ide.........

    (have you cleared the cmos? probable yes?!?)

    coco

    ps just remembered that one neo2 (754) board the ide socket on the mb
    was very tight and i failed (didn't dare) to insert the cable, it was
    the red-round one supplied with the mb.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    > The system works (so far) BUT... the IDE device (DVD/CD) is not
    > recognized and doesn't appear in the Bios.

    Are you using the Nvidia IDE drivers?

    If so, try installing the Microsoft drivers instead. This advice worked for
    me (see post DVD drive Channel settings) when I had problems with the
    channels recognising my drive on the same MSI motherboard as yourself.

    Good luck.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    OVS wrote:
    >> The system works (so far) BUT... the IDE device (DVD/CD) is not
    >> recognized and doesn't appear in the Bios.
    >>

    > Are you using the Nvidia IDE drivers?
    >
    > If so, try installing the Microsoft drivers instead. This advice
    > worked for me (see post DVD drive Channel settings) when I had
    > problems with the channels recognising my drive on the same MSI
    > motherboard as yourself.
    >
    > Good luck.

    I could hardly use ANY driver, as I can't install an OS without CD-ROM
    drive working. My problem is the BIOS doesn't see the DvD/CR-ROM drive
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    CoCo wrote:
    > have you tested just one dvd/cd drive or both all the time? test with
    > one drive w/o jumpers at the cable end with bios set to pio mode only.
    >
    > (looks like a faulty mb to me, mine did reconice 2 drives without
    > anything changed in bios)
    >
    > another test is hooking up a old hd on ide.........
    >
    > (have you cleared the cmos? probable yes?!?)

    I have only one IDE device, the Asus DVD/CD drive (read+write) DRW-1604P
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    > I could hardly use ANY driver, as I can't install an OS without CD-ROM
    > drive working. My problem is the BIOS doesn't see the DvD/CR-ROM drive

    Sorry for jumping in with useless advice without the reading your posts
    properly. Hope you manage to get it sorted out.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    MikeCh wrote:
    > CoCo wrote:
    >
    >>have you tested just one dvd/cd drive or both all the time? test with
    >>one drive w/o jumpers at the cable end with bios set to pio mode only.
    >>
    >>(looks like a faulty mb to me, mine did reconice 2 drives without
    >>anything changed in bios)
    >>
    >>another test is hooking up a old hd on ide.........
    >>
    >>(have you cleared the cmos? probable yes?!?)
    >>

    > I have only one IDE device, the Asus DVD/CD drive (read+write) DRW-1604P

    hi

    have you tested with just pio mode and w/o udma settings?! are you sure
    the cable is inserted all the way down? i just installed a system with
    one too tigh ide socket in which the msi-red cable didn't go down.....
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    Just completed my install of this board and experienced a few similar
    issue though I was able to resolve all (I think).

    This MB seems very picky when it comes to the configuration of the IDE
    devices.

    Some advice:
    - pick a config and clear the CMOS, then see what happens;
    - go into the BIOS and ensure that your IDE slots are enabled;
    - reset the BIOS to the Fail Safe defaults;
    - try setting the drive to master, slave, cable select and even try
    without a jumper.

    Fabrice

    On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 01:38:08 +0100, "MikeCh" <MikeCh@nospam.com>
    wrote:

    >This is my first MSI motherboard and my first time here... hello all and
    >be nice with me. :)
    >
    >Yesterday I bought a MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinium with:
    >
    >AMD 64 3500+ cpu
    >2x512MB Corsair XMS RAM in slots 1 and 2
    >ATI 9800 Pro 256bits 128MB Sapphire video board AGP
    >Antec 1080 case 430W
    >
    >Hitachi Deskstar HD 120GB SATA in SATA 1
    >
    >Asus DVD/CD drive (read/write) IDE interface model DRW-1604P
    >

    >The HD is on SATA 1
    >
    >The system works (so far) BUT... the IDE device (DVD/CD) is not
    >recognized and doesn't appear in the Bios.
    >
    >I tried with BOTH MSI red round cable and the flat cable provided with
    >the drive.
    >
    >I tried (I guess) all the combinations master/slave/cable select on IDE
    >ports 1 and 2.
    >
    >The drive is correctly powered: I can open and close it.
    >The drive works: tested on another system
    >
    >The MSI MB reports no problem it seems.
    >
    >I'm a bit desperate here. I have built more then 25 different systems in
    >my life (not counting updates) and never experienced such a problem (and
    >I won't mention the price I paid for the current system).
    >
    >Can someone help? Thanks a lot.
    >
    >(I posted on MSI BB too)
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    Just a note, I have this exact same issue with a Plextor DVDR. I gave up
    and am running it on my SCSI bus using an adapter.

    DJB

    <fabriceh@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Just completed my install of this board and experienced a few similar
    > issue though I was able to resolve all (I think).
    >
    > This MB seems very picky when it comes to the configuration of the IDE
    > devices.
    >
    > Some advice:
    > - pick a config and clear the CMOS, then see what happens;
    > - go into the BIOS and ensure that your IDE slots are enabled;
    > - reset the BIOS to the Fail Safe defaults;
    > - try setting the drive to master, slave, cable select and even try
    > without a jumper.
    >
    > Fabrice
    >

    > On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 01:38:08 +0100, "MikeCh" <MikeCh@nospam.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>This is my first MSI motherboard and my first time here... hello all and
    >>be nice with me. :)
    >>
    >>Yesterday I bought a MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinium with:
    >>
    >>AMD 64 3500+ cpu
    >>2x512MB Corsair XMS RAM in slots 1 and 2
    >>ATI 9800 Pro 256bits 128MB Sapphire video board AGP
    >>Antec 1080 case 430W
    >>
    >>Hitachi Deskstar HD 120GB SATA in SATA 1
    >>
    >>Asus DVD/CD drive (read/write) IDE interface model DRW-1604P
    >>

    >>The HD is on SATA 1
    >>
    >>The system works (so far) BUT... the IDE device (DVD/CD) is not
    >>recognized and doesn't appear in the Bios.
    >>
    >>I tried with BOTH MSI red round cable and the flat cable provided with
    >>the drive.
    >>
    >>I tried (I guess) all the combinations master/slave/cable select on IDE
    >>ports 1 and 2.
    >>
    >>The drive is correctly powered: I can open and close it.
    >>The drive works: tested on another system
    >>
    >>The MSI MB reports no problem it seems.
    >>
    >>I'm a bit desperate here. I have built more then 25 different systems in
    >>my life (not counting updates) and never experienced such a problem (and
    >>I won't mention the price I paid for the current system).
    >>
    >>Can someone help? Thanks a lot.
    >>
    >>(I posted on MSI BB too)

  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    oke my turn,

    i you install a Sata drive you have to open after the bios the sata bios.
    There you confugerated the drive.

    If you want to install xp at the beginning you have to juse the floppy disk
    that came with the mobo.
    puse f6 en install the sata device drivers for xp.
    after that you can install.

    regards

    John

MSI-Microstar Motherboards Product