Trouble with Maxtor hard drives: 'clunking'!

I have THREE Maxtor hard drives.
ALL have failed.
I've been without a PC for a week trying to figure out what the problem
is. :(

I've read in a few user reviews about a 'clunking' problem.
Previously, I'd be working away fine, when suddenly CLUNK!
The PC would die and random files would become corrupt.

I blamed it on the memory.
Having read posts made by other users, I know now definitely that my
problem is with the hard disk.

IS THERE ANYTHING I can do to rescue my hard disks?

I've looked at Maxstor's website and am confused which software or if
there is anything I can use??

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

OM
5 answers Last reply
More about trouble maxtor hard drives clunking

    "OM" <om.newsgroup@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have THREE Maxtor hard drives.
    > ALL have failed.
    > I've been without a PC for a week trying to figure out what the problem
    > is. :(
    >
    > I've read in a few user reviews about a 'clunking' problem.
    > Previously, I'd be working away fine, when suddenly CLUNK!
    > The PC would die and random files would become corrupt.
    >
    > I blamed it on the memory.
    > Having read posts made by other users, I know now definitely that my
    > problem is with the hard disk.
    >
    > IS THERE ANYTHING I can do to rescue my hard disks?
    >
    > I've looked at Maxstor's website and am confused which software or if
    > there is anything I can use??

    backup your data at once!

    then go to maxtor's website and follow the instructions for warranty!

    Interesting - I just finished a complex data recovery job for a client who
    had 2 Maxtors fail the same day (his primary drive and his backup in an
    external USB2 unit). You're data may be recoverable, but I suggest you get
    professional help if you have important data. Recovery efforts can cause
    more damage leaving no options if you're not sufficiently skilled.
    Nonetheless, if you describe the symptoms specifically you might get some
    useful advice. Are the drives visible at all? Are all making noise? Does
    the system hang while trying to boot? How far does it get, etc. Your
    information is too vague to give any advice other than to start by
    downloading the diagnostic utility from Maxtor's web site and seeing what it
    tells you.
    --

    "OM" <om.newsgroup@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have THREE Maxtor hard drives.
    > ALL have failed.
    > I've been without a PC for a week trying to figure out what the problem
    > is. :(
    >
    > I've read in a few user reviews about a 'clunking' problem.
    > Previously, I'd be working away fine, when suddenly CLUNK!
    > The PC would die and random files would become corrupt.
    >
    > I blamed it on the memory.
    > Having read posts made by other users, I know now definitely that my
    > problem is with the hard disk.
    >
    > IS THERE ANYTHING I can do to rescue my hard disks?
    >
    > I've looked at Maxstor's website and am confused which software or if
    > there is anything I can use??
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >

    > OM

    > backup your data at once!
    >
    > then go to maxtor's website and follow the instructions for warranty!

    i checked on maxtor's website: out of warranty.
    that surprised me, as i was under the impression that ALL hard drives
    had a warranty of 3 years (my one is just over a year old).

    i'm sure that this was previously the case?
    i.e. like for ANY (apart from friggin dell) tft monitor u buy u get a 3
    year warranty??

    > > backup your data at once!
    > >
    > > then go to maxtor's website and follow the instructions for warranty!
    >
    > i checked on maxtor's website: out of warranty.
    > that surprised me, as i was under the impression that ALL hard drives
    > had a warranty of 3 years (my one is just over a year old).
    >
    > i'm sure that this was previously the case?
    > i.e. like for ANY (apart from friggin dell) tft monitor u buy u get a 3
    > year warranty??

    the warranty policy seems to be changing ...
    at one time a 3 year warranty was pretty standard...
    then for a while it seemed like most mfgs cut itdown to just one year...
    however , Seagate has recently increased their warranty...on at least some
    of their
    drives to 5 years.

    BTW: it's always best to check directly with the mfg...
    i just replaced a defective WD drive on a friend's machine.
    it came with a one year warranty from the supplier...
    but i checked directly with WD and even though the drive was over a year old
    it was still under wrty

    On 19 Feb 2005 12:09:15 -0800, "OM" <om.newsgroup@gmail.com> wrote:

    >I have THREE Maxtor hard drives.
    >ALL have failed.

    I have three Maxtor drives. All have been running fine for nearly two
    years.

    >I've been without a PC for a week trying to figure out what the problem
    >is. :(
    >
    >I've read in a few user reviews about a 'clunking' problem.
    >Previously, I'd be working away fine, when suddenly CLUNK!
    >The PC would die and random files would become corrupt.

    Sounds like power that is being supplied to the drive is less than
    stellar.

    >I blamed it on the memory.
    >Having read posts made by other users, I know now definitely that my
    >problem is with the hard disk.

    The power supply proper or a drive connector that does not achieve
    solid electrical contact can cause the drive to behave badly and can
    wreck the drive.

    >IS THERE ANYTHING I can do to rescue my hard disks?
    >
    >I've looked at Maxstor's website and am confused which software or if
    >there is anything I can use??
    >
    >Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    >Thanks.
    >

    >OM