What hard drive should I buy?

I'm having to build a new PC.

What hard drive should I buy?

I DON'T want to buy Maxtor!

I've been told I should get an ATA 133 hard drive as the motherboard I
have ordered, supports this.

I've looked around and I can't really find any other manufacters that
have ATA 133's?

I want a 120GB or 160GB.

Thanks.

OM

are ur hard drives ata133?
that's what i'm after.
what models do you have?

I have 3 Western Digital and 1 Seagate (which is the oldest). My
recommendation is either of these two.

I have heard heat is a major problem with Maxtors. Was case ventilation
maybe a problem with your failures?

r.

"OM" <om.newsgroup@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm having to build a new PC.
>
> What hard drive should I buy?
>
> I DON'T want to buy Maxtor!
>
> I've been told I should get an ATA 133 hard drive as the motherboard I
> have ordered, supports this.
>
> I've looked around and I can't really find any other manufacters that
> have ATA 133's?
>
> I want a 120GB or 160GB.
>
> Thanks.
>

> OM

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

If your new motherboard supports it buy SATA rather than ATA - it is faster.

"OM" <om.newsgroup@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm having to build a new PC.
>
> What hard drive should I buy?
>
> I DON'T want to buy Maxtor!
>
> I've been told I should get an ATA 133 hard drive as the motherboard I
> have ordered, supports this.
>
> I've looked around and I can't really find any other manufacters that
> have ATA 133's?
>
> I want a 120GB or 160GB.
>
> Thanks.
>

> OM

Philo

"OM" <om.newsgroup@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm having to build a new PC.
>
> What hard drive should I buy?
>
> I DON'T want to buy Maxtor!
>
> I've been told I should get an ATA 133 hard drive as the motherboard I
> have ordered, supports this.
>
> I've looked around and I can't really find any other manufacters that
> have ATA 133's?
>
> I want a 120GB or 160GB.

if Seagate still has the longest warranty...go for it.

i';ve used just about all brands and eventually...all harddrives fail

OM wrote:
| I'm having to build a new PC.
|
| What hard drive should I buy?
|
| I DON'T want to buy Maxtor!
|
| I've been told I should get an ATA 133 hard drive as the motherboard I
| have ordered, supports this.
|
| I've looked around and I can't really find any other manufacters that
| have ATA 133's?
|
| I want a 120GB or 160GB.
|
| Thanks.
|

| OM

Warranty then price. There is not that much difference between l00/133.
A few manufacturers of Motherboards and Hard drives did not even bother
because SATA is a far better choice.

OM wrote:
> I'm having to build a new PC.
>
> What hard drive should I buy?
>
> I DON'T want to buy Maxtor!
>
> I've been told I should get an ATA 133 hard drive as the motherboard I
> have ordered, supports this.
>
> I've looked around and I can't really find any other manufacters that
> have ATA 133's?
>
> I want a 120GB or 160GB.
>
> Thanks.
>

> OM

Try a Western Digital between 160GB and 250GB with 8 MB buffer memory. I
have heard that some of the Japanese import brands have been having a
terrible failure rate lately. No failures ever for WD for me. That is
all I have unless you want horror stories of some of my drive failures.
Bill Baka

Jerry wrote:
> If your new motherboard supports it buy SATA rather than ATA - it is faster.

Yeah, and still evolving so if you buy a new SATA setup it may still be
obsolete in 2 years. ATA 100/133 isn't going away any time soon and
right now it is cheaper than SATA. If you want over 300GB you may be
forced to buy SATA at some point 2-3 years+, but it still takes time to
fill up even 100GB.
Bill Baka

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 11:27:20 -0800, b_baka <bbaka@syix.com> wrote:

>Jerry wrote:
>> If your new motherboard supports it buy SATA rather than ATA - it is faster.
>
>Yeah, and still evolving so if you buy a new SATA setup it may still be
>obsolete in 2 years. ATA 100/133 isn't going away any time soon and
>right now it is cheaper than SATA. If you want over 300GB you may be
>forced to buy SATA at some point 2-3 years+, but it still takes time to
>fill up even 100GB.
>Bill Baka

ATA was still evolving not that long ago...were you advising people
not to buy it and stick with the ATA/66? SATA is the standard of the
future; you just need to accept that and move with the times.