K8 Neo Platinum54G and W98SE

The 54G only denotes there is a 54G PCI card.
I have lost interminable amounts of time trying to get the built-in RJ45 to
be recognised. Even in the manual (which I have temporarily misplaced) where
it shows reference to the connection, the line of entry doesn't even appear
in my BIOS.
Help please.

Follow Up. Have just found manual.
At page 3-14, third last entry reads:
"Onboard Giga Lan
This setting controls the onboard Giga LAN controller. setting options:
[Enabled], [Disabled]."

This line of entry does not appear in my BIOS.
Desperate for solution.
Thanks.