MSI K7T Turbo 2 - HAL question.

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
November 25, 2004 1:21:43 AM

Would someone be able to help me with a HAL question please?
When installing Windows XP on a K7T Turbo2 board ((MS 6330) with an
Athlon K7 1Gig, what HAL layer should I pick?

1) ACPI Multiprocessor PC
2) ACPI Uniprocessor PC
3) Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC
4) Standard PC
5) Standard PC with C-Step i486
etc.

There are other options, but these are the ones that I think might
apply. My guess is that it is # 3.

I have installed Win XP on my friend's computer using option 3, but we
are having some problems that I think might be ACPI related. His
screen saver will only work if the computer has just been booted up.
If he turns the computer on, doesn't do anything, the screen saver
will come on. If he opens some programs, goes on the 'net, etc.,
leaves it, the screen saver will NOT come on. We have tried changing
screen savers, changing the activation time, rebooting, etc., but
nothing seems to help.

Or am I off-base assuming this is ACPI related?

If anyone could give me a little guidance as to what might be wrong, I
would appreciate it.
Thank you.
dj
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 25, 2004 2:17:48 AM

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 22:21:43 GMT, dj <dj47@nowhere.com> wrote:

>Would someone be able to help me with a HAL question please?
>When installing Windows XP on a K7T Turbo2 board ((MS 6330) with an
>Athlon K7 1Gig, what HAL layer should I pick?
>
>1) ACPI Multiprocessor PC
>2) ACPI Uniprocessor PC
>3) Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC
>4) Standard PC
>5) Standard PC with C-Step i486
>etc.
>
>There are other options, but these are the ones that I think might
>apply. My guess is that it is # 3.
>
>I have installed Win XP on my friend's computer using option 3, but we
>are having some problems that I think might be ACPI related. His
>screen saver will only work if the computer has just been booted up.
>If he turns the computer on, doesn't do anything, the screen saver
>will come on. If he opens some programs, goes on the 'net, etc.,
>leaves it, the screen saver will NOT come on. We have tried changing
>screen savers, changing the activation time, rebooting, etc., but
>nothing seems to help.
>
>Or am I off-base assuming this is ACPI related?
>
>If anyone could give me a little guidance as to what might be wrong, I
>would appreciate it.
>Thank you.
>dj

Why are you even choosing? Let XP install what it thinks is best for
this board.. XP works fine on this doing a default install
!