Best off-brandname Inkjet Refill Kit

This is probably going to SHOCK you.

I did a quick calculation on my Black ink cartridge in my Lexmark X73
Printer.

Here's the results (which probably will be close to the same results
for your printer, no matter who makes it).

Some basic facts first:

1 U.S. Gallon = 3.785 liters
1 U.S. Gallon = 3785 ml (milliliters)

Now for the SHOCK:

Lexmark's 12A1970 Black inkjet cartridge holds about 30 ml and cost
$32.99 (compusa.com).

3785 ml (1 U.S. Gallon) / 30 ml (1 Lexmark inkjet cartridge's ink) =
126.1667 Lexmark inkjet cartridges per Gallon.

126.1667 Lexmark inkjet cartriges X $32.99 = $4,162.24 a gallon.

Now, I know that 126 inkjet cartridges also have alot of plastic and
electronics. But even if it's $500.00 for all that plastic and
electronics to be mass produced (which I'm SURE is an overly high
estimate), that leaves the ink itself at $3,662.24 a gallon.

$3,662.24 for a gallon for blank inkjet ink.

Off-brandname Black inkjet ink refill usually sell for under $100.00 a
gallon (A savings of $3,562.24 per gallon.).

Now for my question:
What is the best off-brandname inkjet refill ink on the market today?

I used to goto a place in San Diego, California (when I lived there)
called Inky-Do with excellent quality black inkjet refill ink. But I
live too far away from them now so I'm looking to find out what
off-brandname inkjet refills have worked great (not just ok) for you?

Thanks in advance for your help!
20 answers Last reply
More about best brandname inkjet refill

    > What is the best off-brandname inkjet refill ink on the market today?

    Ink's ink is'nt ? Any brand will do I'm sure, they all claim to be the best
    anyway. Look on ebay. I guess JR in the UK is the leading brand ?

    OK, lets try this approach:

    If you use a refill kit for your printer, and you like the kit's
    quality, what manufacturer and brandname was it, and what was the name
    and location of the store where you purchased the refill kit?

    Again, thanks in advance for your help!

    "Roland Marsey" <morechoices2004@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > This is probably going to SHOCK you.

    Uh...not really.

    > Now for my question:
    > What is the best off-brandname inkjet refill ink on the market today?
    >
    > I used to goto a place in San Diego, California (when I lived there)
    > called Inky-Do with excellent quality black inkjet refill ink. But I
    > live too far away from them now so I'm looking to find out what
    > off-brandname inkjet refills have worked great (not just ok) for you?

    What';s it matter if Inky-Do or Inki-Pinky (or whatever) is the best in the
    world? If you can't buy it outside California or the US it's a useless
    recomendation. Many refill kits are packed by small businesses and sold at
    computer markets. These are much cheaper and just as good as brand-name
    refill kits. I say the best refill kit it 'Universal Inkjet and Toner
    Product' - but that's meaningless unless you happen to shop in Glen Huntly
    Rd, Elsternwick.

    Brands come and go and vary from country to country, depending on who's
    importing and what's being packaged in China at the time, and what brand of
    ink the packager can get cheap at the time.

    If we knew what brand of ink was going into the kits this might be useful,
    given that ink manufacturers are a fewer in number than kit packers.

    > Brands come and go and vary from country to country, depending on who's
    > importing and what's being packaged in China at the time, and what brand of
    > ink the packager can get cheap at the time.
    >
    > If we knew what brand [Manufacturer] of ink was going into the kits this might be useful,
    > given that ink manufacturers are a fewer in number than kit packers.

    Who's the best Manufacturer of Black Inkjet Refill Kits?

    ___ wrote:

    > > What is the best off-brandname inkjet refill ink on the market today?
    >
    >Ink's ink is'nt ? Any brand will do I'm sure, they all claim to be the best
    >anyway. Look on ebay.

    No, all ink is NOT the same.

    Universal ink is universally garbage and rarely works well in more than
    a few printer models. Ink is specifically designed to work with certain
    printer models, and should be purchased from reliable and well known
    sources.

    Formulabs is known to make some of the best in available. If you
    purchase from a company that uses Formulabs ink in their refill kits and
    bulk ink, you shouldn't have any problems.

    AtlanticInkjet in the US and Canada is one such company.

    Roland Marsey wrote:
    > OK, lets try this approach:
    >
    > If you use a refill kit for your printer, and you like the kit's
    > quality, what manufacturer and brandname was it, and what was the name
    > and location of the store where you purchased the refill kit?

    What's a "store"?
    Why leave the house?
    Why drive my car to who knows where?
    Why do you need to see it in person?
    Why all these questions?...

    Ever heard of buying online?
    They have home delivery (via the postal service).

    My "store" is atlanticinkjet.com.
    Been using it for many years.
    Refill a set of carts for about $5, using bulk ink, 8 oz bottles.
    Tickled pink... same quality as the real thing.
    We've used it on all four food groups - er, printer groups... Epson, HP,
    Lexmark and Canon.
    It's not "universal" ink, it's the real thing, made for your specific
    printer cartridge model.
    No, I don't work for them or get anything free.
    You asked I offered.

    -Taliesyn

    Thanks Taliesyn, I'll check out atlanticinkjet.com.

    Anyone else?

    If you use a refill kit for your printer, and you like the kit's
    quality, what manufacturer and brandname was it, and what was the name
    and location of the store where you purchased the refill kit?

    Again, thanks in advance for your help!

    Here's the question:

    If you use a refill kit for your printer, and you like the kit's
    quality, what manufacturer and brandname was it, and what was the name
    and location of the store (or the webpage) where you purchased the
    refill kit?

    Here are some results:
    I've decided to use Inksell.com. The feedback from the newsgroups
    seem to be mostly positive.

    I'm going to stay away from websites that seem to have spammers:

    Taliesyn seems to be flooding the newsgroups with AtlanticInkjet.com.
    See for yourself:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=%2B%22Taliesyn%22+%2B%22AtlanticInkjet.com%22+group%3Acomp.periphs.printers&meta=group%3Dcomp.periphs.printers

    Also, tomcas seems to be flooding with Inksupply.com:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=%2B%22tomcas%22+%2B%22Inksupply.com%22+group%3Acomp.periphs.printers&btnG=Search&meta=group%3Dcomp.periphs.printers

    Ron Cohen and beezer flooding with alotofthings.com:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=%2B%22Ron+Cohen%22+%2B%22alotofthings.com%22+group%3Acomp.periphs.printers&meta=group%3Dcomp.periphs.printers

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=%2B%22beezer%22+%2B%22alotofthings.com%22+group%3Acomp.periphs.printers&meta=group%3Dcomp.periphs.printers

    I'll be updating this post later.

    morechoices2004@yahoo.com (Roland Marsey) wrote in

    > Here's the question:
    >
    > If you use a refill kit for your printer, and you like the kit's
    > quality, what manufacturer and brandname was it, and what was the name
    > and location of the store (or the webpage) where you purchased the
    > refill kit?
    >
    > Here are some results:
    > I've decided to use Inksell.com. The feedback from the newsgroups
    > seem to be mostly positive.
    >
    > I'm going to stay away from websites that seem to have spammers:
    >
    > Taliesyn seems to be flooding the newsgroups with AtlanticInkjet.com.
    >
    > Also, tomcas seems to be flooding with Inksupply.com:
    >
    > Ron Cohen and beezer flooding with alotofthings.com:
    >
    > I'll be updating this post later.

    Are you running private mind games?

    You ask who knows of a quality ink seller and then label them
    spammers when they reply. What kind of jerk trolls like this?

    People, stay away from this troublemaker and his setup question
    at the top of this post, or you'll appear on his list the next
    day.

    All together now: PLONK!

    J. Hanson

    (Oh I was going to add another great company, reputed to be a supplier
    to the one of the majors, but now he'll never know)

    Roland Marsey wrote:

    >If you use a refill kit for your printer, and you like the kit's
    >quality, what manufacturer and brandname was it, and what was the name
    >and location of the store (or the webpage) where you purchased the
    >refill kit?
    >
    >Here are some results:
    >I've decided to use Inksell.com. The feedback from the newsgroups
    >seem to be mostly positive.
    >
    >I'm going to stay away from websites that seem to have spammers:
    >
    >Taliesyn seems to be flooding the newsgroups with AtlanticInkjet.com.

    I don't think anyone is flooding.

    I agree that AtlanticInkjet is a good place to buy, especially for
    Canadians since they sell in CDN funds and ship from within Canada. No
    exchange rate or other border hassles, prices are reasonable, and
    quality is excellent.

    The other choices you mentioned also seem good for other people. There's
    a reason why people post often about a good supplier...

    Roland Marsey wrote:
    > Here's the question:
    >
    > If you use a refill kit for your printer, and you like the kit's
    > quality, what manufacturer and brandname was it, and what was the name
    > and location of the store (or the webpage) where you purchased the
    > refill kit?
    >
    > Here are some results:
    > I've decided to use Inksell.com. The feedback from the newsgroups
    > seem to be mostly positive.
    >
    > I'm going to stay away from websites that seem to have spammers:
    >
    > Taliesyn seems to be flooding the newsgroups with AtlanticInkjet.com.

    Good one from a newbie!

    I don't work for Atlantic Inkjet nor do I get free ink or any other
    benefits from them. I don't want any ink that way - I'll buy my own ink,
    thank you very much. Every once in a while I surf this printer newsgroup
    (only) and respond to people asking questions I might have some
    experience with. Then I usually leave again when the trolls show up ;-).

    -Taliesyn

    My order from Atlantic Inkjet arrived in 2 days. By mail. Incredible
    service - both from them, and from the posties.... Mind you, they are
    only a 4 hour drive away.....

    The ink seems to work too!

    Jack Wetmore in NB Can.

    Bill wrote:

    > Roland Marsey wrote:
    >
    > >If you use a refill kit for your printer, and you like the kit's
    > >quality, what manufacturer and brandname was it, and what was the name
    > >and location of the store (or the webpage) where you purchased the
    > >refill kit?
    > >
    > >Here are some results:
    > >I've decided to use Inksell.com. The feedback from the newsgroups
    > >seem to be mostly positive.
    > >
    > >I'm going to stay away from websites that seem to have spammers:
    > >
    > >Taliesyn seems to be flooding the newsgroups with AtlanticInkjet.com.
    >
    > I don't think anyone is flooding.
    >
    > I agree that AtlanticInkjet is a good place to buy, especially for
    > Canadians since they sell in CDN funds and ship from within Canada. No
    > exchange rate or other border hassles, prices are reasonable, and
    > quality is excellent.
    >
    > The other choices you mentioned also seem good for other people. There's
    > a reason why people post often about a good supplier...

    After searching the internet, I could only find one inkjet refill
    website (http://www.alotofthings.com) actually stating they use
    Formulabs inks:

    'As mentioned on our site we sell Sensient Imaging Technologies,
    Formulabs Division inks. Formulabs BCI-6 black ink has always been dye
    based and has always been reported as such.'
    http://www.alotofthings.com/inkjetinformation/BCI-3ePigmentedandBCI-6dyebased.htm

    'All of the inks we carry are manufactured by Sensient Imaging
    Technology, Formulabs Division.'
    http://www.alotofthings.com/catalog/bulkinks_HP_C1823-C6625-C6578.htm

    If anyone else can find an inkjet refill reseller that states on thier
    website that they use formulabs inks, Please post the link here!

    Based on this new knowledge, I am not going to be ordering ink from
    http://www.inksell.com (although they very well may have good quality
    refill ink). I am going to order my ink from
    http://www.alotofthings.com, and I'll post the quality results here
    after I've tried thier ink.

    Thanks for all those that posted here and helped everyone out!

    And please keep posting links to ink refill resellers that use
    Formulabs inks.

    After searching different online inkjet ink resellers, I could only
    find 2 that actually stated they use Formulabs brand ink:

    1. The actual Formulabs website itself (Sensient-tech owns Formulabs):
    http://www.sensient-tech.com/solutions/inks.htm

    2. alotofthings.com:
    'As mentioned on our site we sell Sensient Imaging Technologies,
    Formulabs Division inks.'
    http://www.alotofthings.com/inkjetinformation/BCI-3ePigmentedandBCI-6dyebased.htm

    'All of the inks we carry are manufactured by Sensient Imaging
    Technology, Formulabs Division.'
    http://www.alotofthings.com/catalog/bulkinks_HP_C1823-C6625-C6578.htm

    I decided to order from www.alotofthings.com and purchased thier 20oz
    Refill Kit ($33.97 + shipping) for my Lexmark printer. The kit comes
    with 2-black, 1-Cyan, 1-Magenta, and 1-Yellow refill bottles,
    including syringes, gloves, etc. I received it a couple weeks ago and
    have been using thier ink and they've been working GREAT!

    Thanks to all that helped me with this quest!

    > After searching different online inkjet ink resellers, I could only
    > find 2 that actually stated they use Formulabs brand ink:
    >
    > 1. The actual Formulabs website itself (Sensient-tech owns Formulabs):
    > http://www.sensient-tech.com/solutions/inks.htm
    >
    > 2. alotofthings.com:
    > 'As mentioned on our site we sell Sensient Imaging Technologies,
    > Formulabs Division inks.'
    > http://www.alotofthings.com/inkjetinformation/BCI-3ePigmentedandBCI-6dy
    > ebased.htm
    >
    > 'All of the inks we carry are manufactured by Sensient Imaging
    > Technology, Formulabs Division.'
    > http://www.alotofthings.com/catalog/bulkinks_HP_C1823-C6625-C6578.htm
    >
    > I decided to order from www.alotofthings.com and purchased thier 20oz
    > Refill Kit ($33.97 + shipping) for my Lexmark printer....

    Back up the cheap print head.... Formulabs ink? Lexmark?

    A goddam Lexmark???...

    You mean you went to all this trouble, trolling the newsgroup with
    idiotic accusations of marketing, in your search of the Holy Grail
    quest for the mother-of-all inks (it MUST be Formulabs ink!) and
    it was all for a *Lexmark*?!?!

    All this was simply to satisfy the base needs of an entry level
    printer (which is what ALL Lexmarks are). And we all thought you
    were a keen professional running something like a Canon i9900 or
    the Epson R800 with 8 cartridges. In other words, delicate printers
    that (because of their expense) demand the very best. Your Lexi would
    have run fine with top-of-the-line Universal.

    Whoah-is-me! I'm going to frame this entire thread!!!

    On 31 Jul 2004 16:32:45 -0700, morechoices2004@yahoo.com (Roland
    Marsey) wrote:

    > I received it a couple weeks ago and
    >have been using thier ink and they've been working GREAT!

    Glad to hear your Formulabs is working great for you because I will
    also be using Formulabs on my new i960 as soon as I get to the bottom
    of the ink well(s) first time. I've been printing a lot of photos and
    have yet to get 1/4 way down on any one of the carts so may be awhile
    before I use the Formulabs.

    Just for everyone's info... it seems as though this i960 uses less
    ink than my old HP952c did for the same amount of photos being
    printed..... And..... the quality is much better......

    Regards,
    TR

    Jesus, there's no need to berate the guy! Are you some kind of printer ink
    expert? What the hell difference is it to you if the guy wants to find a
    specific brand of ink. I also didn't realize that this newsgroup was for

    Hipster wrote:
    > morechoices2004@yahoo.com (Roland Marsey) wrote in
    >

    >>After searching different online inkjet ink resellers, I could only
    >>find 2 that actually stated they use Formulabs brand ink:
    >>
    >>1. The actual Formulabs website itself (Sensient-tech owns Formulabs):
    >>http://www.sensient-tech.com/solutions/inks.htm
    >>
    >>2. alotofthings.com:
    >>'As mentioned on our site we sell Sensient Imaging Technologies,
    >>Formulabs Division inks.'
    >>http://www.alotofthings.com/inkjetinformation/BCI-3ePigmentedandBCI-6dy
    >>ebased.htm
    >>
    >>'All of the inks we carry are manufactured by Sensient Imaging
    >>Technology, Formulabs Division.'
    >>http://www.alotofthings.com/catalog/bulkinks_HP_C1823-C6625-C6578.htm
    >>
    >>I decided to order from www.alotofthings.com and purchased thier 20oz
    >>Refill Kit ($33.97 + shipping) for my Lexmark printer....
    >

    > Back up the cheap print head.... Formulabs ink? Lexmark?
    >
    > A goddam Lexmark???...
    >
    > You mean you went to all this trouble, trolling the newsgroup with
    > idiotic accusations of marketing, in your search of the Holy Grail
    > quest for the mother-of-all inks (it MUST be Formulabs ink!) and
    > it was all for a *Lexmark*?!?!
    >
    > All this was simply to satisfy the base needs of an entry level
    > printer (which is what ALL Lexmarks are). And we all thought you
    > were a keen professional running something like a Canon i9900 or
    > the Epson R800 with 8 cartridges. In other words, delicate printers
    > that (because of their expense) demand the very best. Your Lexi would
    > have run fine with top-of-the-line Universal.

    I bought ink for a previous Lexmark Z55, which was a pretty ugly
    printer, from Atlantic Inkjet. Not because I was looking for the
    best ink but because I have been a longtime customer of theirs.
    Some have stated that their bulk inks come from Formulabs. I don't
    know, I've never asked. But I can tell you that it didn't matter,
    it still only printed like a Lexmark - meaning, washed out photos.
    I junked it and bought a couple of real printers. A Canon i850 and
    now an i860.

    I'm itching to take the Lexmark apart. I'm curious to see how
    many parts it has. ;-)

    -Taliesyn

    "JohnQPublic" <jqp@jqp.com> wrote in

    > Jesus, there's no need to berate the guy! Are you some kind of printer
    > ink expert? What the hell difference is it to you if the guy wants to
    > find a specific brand of ink. I also didn't realize that this
    > newsgroup was for "keen professionals" only.

    First of all, I am not Jesus! ;-)

    See, this is what happens when you join a thread late without knowing
    what happened previous. I suggest you read the whole thread and find out
    why this troll was "berated" here so unkindly. Believe me, we do NOT
    berate normal people who use Lexmarks. Cute little printers. Amen.

Printers Inkjet Lexmark Peripherals