Hard disk capicity

Hi
ive bought a maxtor 200 gb sata harddisk.
in my bios menu and in system info it says that its 200gb
BUT in the folder My computer windows xp pro says thats its capicity is only
120 gb that isnt right
what must i do?
plz help

"Ziggo" <Ziggo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi
>ive bought a maxtor 200 gb sata harddisk.
>in my bios menu and in system info it says that its 200gb
>BUT in the folder My computer windows xp pro says thats its capicity is only
>120 gb that isnt right
>what must i do?
>plz help

You need to update your Windows XP to Service Pack 1 in order to gain
full support for very large hard drives (larger than 120 gb == 137
billion bytes).

How to enable 48-bit Logical Block Addressing support for ATAPI disk
drives in Windows XP
Article ID : 303013
http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=303013

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

And if you want to use this new 200GB hard drive as the master boot drive
for XP, you will need to "slipstream" Windows XP SP1(a), or SP2, into a new
install CD. The original XP will not correctly access the 200GB capacity
during the install process.