K8T Neo2 939 - question on JLED

I have a new K8T Neo2 (939) and a 3000+ retail CPU. I am waiting for my
Crucial Ballistix PC3200 to arrive. In the meanwhile, I tried to test the
board with an old Crucial PC2100 ECC (18 chip) DDR and an aged TNT32 AGP. I
do have a modern PSU (Enlight 360 - el cheapo model that comes with the
case) with the required 4-pin connector. The system powers up (i.e. fans,
hard disk, CD) but nothing else. I am fairly experienced (I recently set up
a K8T Neo 754) and I have tried all of the usual things - use different
memory slots, disconnect all but the video card, reseat CPU, etc. to no
avail. I looked for any sign of life on the JLED, but no lights come on at
all. I thought that this device would display a pattern as to what the
board wass trying to do. Was I mistaken in this? I triple cheked all
connectors and jumpers. The reset switch works and the power LED and HDD
LED both light up.. The power switch works in the sense that it turns the
system on and, if held in for 4 seconds, turns it off. Hopefully it's
something simple such as not being able to handle the PC2100 ECC 18-sided
ram chip, and that everything will work OK with the new memory. But I am a
little doubtful because the manual does say that DDR 266 is OK.

Thanks, John

Yes,

However it does also state that ECC memory will not. The A64 onboard memory
controller is picky about the ram, also the power supply is not sufficient
to work properly with that motherboard. You should have a power supply with
at least 24Amps on the 12V rail. Cheap power supplies are just asking for
trouble.

"John McDonnell" <jmcdonne@verizon.net> wrote in message
>I have a new K8T Neo2 (939) and a 3000+ retail CPU. I am waiting for my
>Crucial Ballistix PC3200 to arrive. In the meanwhile, I tried to test the
>board with an old Crucial PC2100 ECC (18 chip) DDR and an aged TNT32 AGP.
>I do have a modern PSU (Enlight 360 - el cheapo model that comes with the
>case) with the required 4-pin connector. The system powers up (i.e. fans,
>hard disk, CD) but nothing else. I am fairly experienced (I recently set
>up a K8T Neo 754) and I have tried all of the usual things - use different
>memory slots, disconnect all but the video card, reseat CPU, etc. to no
>avail. I looked for any sign of life on the JLED, but no lights come on at
>all. I thought that this device would display a pattern as to what the
>board wass trying to do. Was I mistaken in this? I triple cheked all
>connectors and jumpers. The reset switch works and the power LED and HDD
>LED both light up.. The power switch works in the sense that it turns the
>system on and, if held in for 4 seconds, turns it off. Hopefully it's
>something simple such as not being able to handle the PC2100 ECC 18-sided
>ram chip, and that everything will work OK with the new memory. But I am a
>little doubtful because the manual does say that DDR 266 is OK.
>
> Thanks, John

Hello John,

first of all I have the same board and the same CPU (Winchester I
guess). And the same problem. It has something to do with the board
itself. You need to have the Board with the BIOS 1.3 (Winchester ready).

Ask you dealer for an Winchester ready board. It has nothing to do
with you PSU. My has 480W and I have the same trouble. I send all my
componets to my dealer (CPU, Board, Cooler, RAM). And he is checking
whats wrong. Its the second Board by the way with this trouble thing.

I let you know how we fixed it.

Michael

Hi, Michael

This sounds reasonable. The 3000+ socket 939 is a very new chip. I
purchased the 6702E board at Newegg.com. One of the review posts on
Newegg's site was from a certain "ElvinSage" on 11/24/2004. He mentioned
that the board would not post without "special flashing". Alas, he (she?)
did not give the details of this special flashing. Maybe somebody knows
what this means? Maybe there is a stand-alone way to update the bios to
1.3?

As I suspected, the ram was not the problem. Crucial's top-of-the-line
Ballistix DDR400 did not help. I am still puzzled as to why the JLED does
not flash even one light at all.

By the way, has this board been reliable with the older CPU's, e.g. 3500+ ?

Have a good day,

John

"Michael Steinbrueck" <Michael_Steinbrueck@t-online.de> wrote in message
> Hello John,
>
> first of all I have the same board and the same CPU (Winchester I guess).
> And the same problem. It has something to do with the board
> itself. You need to have the Board with the BIOS 1.3 (Winchester ready).
>
> Ask you dealer for an Winchester ready board. It has nothing to do
> with you PSU. My has 480W and I have the same trouble. I send all my
> componets to my dealer (CPU, Board, Cooler, RAM). And he is checking
> whats wrong. Its the second Board by the way with this trouble thing.
>
> I let you know how we fixed it.
>
> Michael

Hi John,

you can bring the new BIOS with an external Flasher to the actual BIOS
version. Maybe you can also check for somebody who is doing BIOS
Service. I checked Goggle and in Germany are some Shops which are
offering such Services. Maybe you have the same sort of thing in the US.
I am still waiting for the response from my dealer whats went wrong with
my old board. Or maybe its a faulty CPU. I also know that the ABIT
3rdEye Boards have an actual BIOS which supports the Winchester without
a problem. But dont go for the older CPUs. The benefits of the
Winchester is worth to doing some work. If you see the reviews how easy
you can go with them to higher clock speed and they are working all with
67 Watt (less heat) as the older ones.

Your link described the same problem for an ABIT Voard by the way. And
the ASUS A8V Deluxe is also very picky with RAM issues. So fingers cross
and hope for both of us to get the baby to work.

I let you know if I get solved the problem and how.

Have a nice day.

Michael