Wireless Connection Drops

Hello,
I have a linksys WRT54G set up at home. Our compaq laptop was just
reformatted and we had XP Pro SP2 installed. I installed McAfee Security
center and at that point the wireless connection disappeared. I uninstalled
privacy service and the personal firewall, got the connection back. I am
running the Windows Firewall. Now, after even a short period of inactivity we
lose the wireless connection and I have to go back into wireless connections
and recheck the box that allows windows to set the connection. Why does the
checked box become unchecked? What can I do to resolve this? It's very
annoying. I must have reset the darned thing 20 times yesterday.
Thanks,
Alice

Hi, Alice -

You probably should not run Windows Firewall and McAfee Personal Firewall at
the same time, that may cause problems. Even though McAfee Personal Firewall
instructions say you do not have to disable Windows Firewall, Microsoft
recommends that if you are using another Firewall product then you should
turn off the Windows Firewall.

If the problem started when McAfee Security Center was loaded, that is a
good indicator that McAfee may not be configured properly. Make sure that
you have the most up-to-date versions of the McAfee software and make sure
the settings are correct. You may even want to try disabling or removing
McAfee Security Center. You should be able to run McAfee Personal Firewall
without Security Center.

Go through your McAfee Personal Firewall settings and make sure there is
nothing obvious there that might be interfering with the wireless. Turn on
event logging in McAfee Personal Firewall and see if it logs any specific
events when you lose connectivity.

If you cannot find the problem then go to McAfee tech support and see if
they are familiar with the problem:

http://WWW.McAfeeHelp.Com/

HTH,
--
William L. Whipple
WWW.EZine.Com

"AliceH" <AliceH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I have a linksys WRT54G set up at home. Our compaq laptop was just
> reformatted and we had XP Pro SP2 installed. I installed McAfee Security
> center and at that point the wireless connection disappeared. I
> uninstalled
> privacy service and the personal firewall, got the connection back. I am
> running the Windows Firewall. Now, after even a short period of inactivity
> we
> lose the wireless connection and I have to go back into wireless
> connections
> and recheck the box that allows windows to set the connection. Why does
> the
> checked box become unchecked? What can I do to resolve this? It's very
> annoying. I must have reset the darned thing 20 times yesterday.
> Thanks,
> Alice

Actually, I uninstalled the McAfee, as I stated. That was how I got the
wireless back in action but I can't keep it in action. The "Let Windows
Configure My Wireless Connection" box keeps unchecking itself.
Alice

"WLW" wrote:

> Hi, Alice -
>
> You probably should not run Windows Firewall and McAfee Personal Firewall at
> the same time, that may cause problems. Even though McAfee Personal Firewall
> instructions say you do not have to disable Windows Firewall, Microsoft
> recommends that if you are using another Firewall product then you should
> turn off the Windows Firewall.
>
> If the problem started when McAfee Security Center was loaded, that is a
> good indicator that McAfee may not be configured properly. Make sure that
> you have the most up-to-date versions of the McAfee software and make sure
> the settings are correct. You may even want to try disabling or removing
> McAfee Security Center. You should be able to run McAfee Personal Firewall
> without Security Center.
>
> Go through your McAfee Personal Firewall settings and make sure there is
> nothing obvious there that might be interfering with the wireless. Turn on
> event logging in McAfee Personal Firewall and see if it logs any specific
> events when you lose connectivity.
>
> If you cannot find the problem then go to McAfee tech support and see if
> they are familiar with the problem:
>
> http://WWW.McAfeeHelp.Com/
>
> HTH,
> --
> William L. Whipple
> WWW.EZine.Com
>

> "AliceH" <AliceH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> > I have a linksys WRT54G set up at home. Our compaq laptop was just
> > reformatted and we had XP Pro SP2 installed. I installed McAfee Security
> > center and at that point the wireless connection disappeared. I
> > uninstalled
> > privacy service and the personal firewall, got the connection back. I am
> > running the Windows Firewall. Now, after even a short period of inactivity
> > we
> > lose the wireless connection and I have to go back into wireless
> > connections
> > and recheck the box that allows windows to set the connection. Why does
> > the
> > checked box become unchecked? What can I do to resolve this? It's very
> > annoying. I must have reset the darned thing 20 times yesterday.
> > Thanks,
> > Alice

Hi

Generally there is No relation between Establishing Wireless Connection, and
Firewall, AntiVirus software.

I am not familiar with your security suite per-se. Unfortunately some of the
comprehensive Security suits take the liberty of making changes that might
negatively affect the Network setting and might stay even after the suit is
Uninstalled.

In such a situation I uninstall the suit, disable Windows Zero Configuration
(WZC) and try to revive the Wireless by using the original Manufacturer
utility. Once it is working them I would disable the manufacturer utility
from starting up automatically and switch back WZC.

May be this can Help.

Wireless, Basic Configuration: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html

Wireless, Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html

Assemble Freeware Security Suit for Internet Connection:
http://www.ezlan.net/security.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).

> Actually, I uninstalled the McAfee, as I stated. That was how I got the
> wireless back in action but I can't keep it in action. The "Let Windows
> Configure My Wireless Connection" box keeps unchecking itself.
> Alice
>
> "WLW" wrote:
>
> > Hi, Alice -
> >
> > You probably should not run Windows Firewall and McAfee Personal
Firewall at
> > the same time, that may cause problems. Even though McAfee Personal
Firewall
> > instructions say you do not have to disable Windows Firewall, Microsoft
> > recommends that if you are using another Firewall product then you
should
> > turn off the Windows Firewall.
> >
> > If the problem started when McAfee Security Center was loaded, that is a
> > good indicator that McAfee may not be configured properly. Make sure
that
> > you have the most up-to-date versions of the McAfee software and make
sure
> > the settings are correct. You may even want to try disabling or removing
> > McAfee Security Center. You should be able to run McAfee Personal
Firewall
> > without Security Center.
> >
> > Go through your McAfee Personal Firewall settings and make sure there is
> > nothing obvious there that might be interfering with the wireless. Turn
on
> > event logging in McAfee Personal Firewall and see if it logs any
specific
> > events when you lose connectivity.
> >
> > If you cannot find the problem then go to McAfee tech support and see if
> > they are familiar with the problem:
> >
> > http://WWW.McAfeeHelp.Com/
> >
> > HTH,
> > --
> > William L. Whipple
> > WWW.EZine.Com
> >

> > "AliceH" <AliceH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hello,
> > > I have a linksys WRT54G set up at home. Our compaq laptop was just
> > > reformatted and we had XP Pro SP2 installed. I installed McAfee
Security
> > > center and at that point the wireless connection disappeared. I
> > > uninstalled
> > > privacy service and the personal firewall, got the connection back. I
am
> > > running the Windows Firewall. Now, after even a short period of
inactivity
> > > we
> > > lose the wireless connection and I have to go back into wireless
> > > connections
> > > and recheck the box that allows windows to set the connection. Why
does
> > > the
> > > checked box become unchecked? What can I do to resolve this? It's very
> > > annoying. I must have reset the darned thing 20 times yesterday.
> > > Thanks,
> > > Alice

Thanks very much. That answers my question. The first url tells me what I
need to do. Again, thanks.

"Jack (MVP)" wrote:

> [...]
> Security
> am
> inactivity
> does

AliceH <AliceH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I have a linksys WRT54G set up at home. Our compaq laptop was just
> reformatted and we had XP Pro SP2 installed. I installed McAfee Security
> center and at that point the wireless connection disappeared. I uninstalled
> privacy service and the personal firewall, got the connection back. I am
> running the Windows Firewall. Now, after even a short period of inactivity we
> lose the wireless connection and I have to go back into wireless connections
> and recheck the box that allows windows to set the connection. Why does the
> checked box become unchecked? What can I do to resolve this? It's very
> annoying. I must have reset the darned thing 20 times yesterday.

I had a similar-sounding problem with a Linksys USB Network Adapter on a
machine running XP with SP2. After the system was idle for a while, the
connection would drop and sometimes could be re-established only by
rebooting the system. The problem cleared up when I completely disabled
the Linksys software and enabled the Windows Zero Configuration function.

--
Gary L. Smith gls432@yahoo.com
Columbus, Ohio