external hardrive question

If I pull the hard drive from my Compaq Presario (windows 98)
and put it in an external hard drive case, will my Dell
laptop (windows xp pro sp2) be able to read the info and run the programs on
it?
without reformatting the drive?

Thanks,
jojo
2 answers Last reply
More about external hardrive question

    Hello Jojo

    To answer your question yes and no, I would say that if I were
    you I woul djust burn what important data you have on their to a
    cdrom and then try, but most important before doing anything
    make a backup copy of your important data(best advice I can give
    you)

    Alvin

    jojo wrote:

    > If I pull the hard drive from my Compaq Presario (windows 98)
    > and put it in an external hard drive case, will my Dell
    > laptop (windows xp pro sp2) be able to read the info and run the programs on
    > it?
    > without reformatting the drive?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > jojo

    OK just get FACTS straight.

    Windows XP is capable of reading FAT, FAT16, FAT32 and NTFS file structures.

    So if one attaches the HDD of a Windows 98 system disk via external case or
    otherwise, without the exeptional problems caused by interface / drivers etc,
    it can be ACCESSED by another system running XP.

    All files can be read, using the term file to represent any single item of
    data stored: the problem comes with interpreting the data. If there isn't an
    application able to interpret the file, then it won't OPEN as such.

    So if you have a MS Word 98 document [filename.doc] on that external disk
    and you have MS Word 2003 on the XP system, the file will be OPENED in MS
    Word 2003, as it has the appropriate code to translate the file.

    If there is an executable file [filename.exe or filename.dll] it may or not
    be OPENED or RUN under XP. COnsider that in themajority of cases it will not
    be run under XP. For an .exe file to be OPENED XP must have the appropriate
    entries in registry. Given that an application, when installed, creates
    these entries [for all its executable modules, and there may be hundreds of
    ..exe and .dll for any given application] then unless you have it on the XP
    machine, it won't run. However why bother opening an .exe file from the 98
    disk when the application is installed in XP.

    Also some earlier versions of an applcation may not be compatible with XP
    and need to have the XP version installed.

    So if you need an application which is not on your XP system, it needs to be
    installed before opening any unique files associated with that application.
    For eample, if you have Quickbooks on the 98 System and not on the XP system,
    you won't be able to OPEN any Quickbooks files, nor will it work by
    attempting to open a Quickbooks .exe file.

    Hope this clarifies the file structure and file type situation.

    "jojo" wrote:

    > If I pull the hard drive from my Compaq Presario (windows 98)
    > and put it in an external hard drive case, will my Dell
    > laptop (windows xp pro sp2) be able to read the info and run the programs on
    > it?
    > without reformatting the drive?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > jojo