CD-Rom

My CD-ROM will not stay closed. I have reinstalled the driver several times
already but that does not work. In properties it says the device is working
properly. Even if i put a CD in it to read, i close it and pops back out. Can
someone help me fix it?
4 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    Stubblefield wrote:
    > My CD-ROM will not stay closed. I have reinstalled the driver several times
    > already but that does not work. In properties it says the device is working
    > properly. Even if i put a CD in it to read, i close it and pops back out. Can
    > someone help me fix it?

    prob time for a new one

    Stubblefield wrote:
    > My CD-ROM will not stay closed. I have reinstalled the driver several
    > times already but that does not work. In properties it says the
    > device is working properly. Even if i put a CD in it to read, i close
    > it and pops back out. Can someone help me fix it?

    Nothing whatsoever to do with a 'driver' (optical drives don't have them per
    se). It's shot - the mechanism that holds the tray is broken. You'll have to
    replace it (if it's only a CD-ROM drive (i.e. read only, no burning
    capabilities) it'll probably only cost you £15, if that). You could use this
    as an excuse to buy a DVD burner - Toshiba do quite a decent one for £35 (I
    remember when I bought my first DVD burner, cost me the better part of
    £200 - now you could buy 5 for the same money) it's dual-layer as well.
    on salads.

    Hard to say, at distance, whether it's an electrical or a mechanical fault.
    If electical, there's little hope of repair. If mechanical, it MIGHT be
    something simple (like a biscuit crumb or bit of grit that's got dragged in
    and caught up in the open/close mechanism).
    It's a CD-ROM - you say (not CD-RW) so probably quite old, so this "repair"
    method is cost-effective. Take off the outer case, get the drawer in the
    "open" position (use a pin or similar to mechanically open it through the
    tiny hole provided on front), turn it upside down, tap it quite firmly on a
    hard surface. This should dislodge the obstruction (if present). Reassemble
    and re-install.

    If the problem persists, then the drive is shot (it's electical) - get a new
    one, they're cheap enough.

    This "Irish Screwdriver" methodology, is sometimes quite effective!

    Sincerely, Len.

    yabbadoo wrote:
    > Hard to say, at distance, whether it's an electrical or a mechanical
    > fault.

    No it's not. The tray mechanism won't hold the tray closed, irreparable,
    replace drive. I don't see what could be simpler, really.

    on salads.

Hardware CD-Rom Microsoft Windows XP