K8N Neo2 Platinum SATA RAID 0 stripe size config.

Hi,

I have 2 160GB SATA drives and use XP Pro sp2 machine for gaming, compiling.

Anyone got any experiences and outcomes of setting up different stripe sizes
from the default 32KB recommended on page 5-5 of the manual?

Thanks and Merry Christmas to those who do.
Andy.

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

"Brian The Snail" <Reply@the.group> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have 2 160GB SATA drives and use XP Pro sp2 machine for gaming,
> compiling.
>
> Anyone got any experiences and outcomes of setting up different stripe
> sizes from the default 32KB recommended on page 5-5 of the manual?

32KB stripe is OK. Personally I think 16K is better though. Its certainly
between 16k and 32k as to which is best. imho you should *not* go for a
larger stripe (64k, 128k etc) unless you do video editing or other work with
very large files.

There is lots of information on the web advising you to go for a long stripe
length. imho, this is wrong. The issue is, shorter stripe lengths use more
CPU but generally bench a bit faster and make windows etc seem a little more
"zippy". The advice about using longer stripe lengths is old advice that
stems back to the days of 486s and the like, when CPU utilization was MUCH
more of an issue than it is now.

So my advice would be go for 16k stripe length and don't worry about CPU
utilization. You will get excellent overall performance with a 16k stripe.

Chip