MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum - can't do a warm reboot

Hi, everybody!

After lots of reading, I finally decided to upgrade my home system. I
bought:
MSI K8 Neo2 Platinum motherboard (Rev.1, Bios 1.3)
AMD Athlon64 3000+ processor
2 sticks of Corsair value RAM (PC3200). They are in dual-channel mopde
in banks 1 and 2.
An old (but seemingly working) Adaptec AHA2940UW SCSI Adaptor
Radeon 9700Pro 128 MB video card
Antec Sonata case.

At this point almost all settings in BIOS are default.

After some problems with the case (power supply was dead) I put this
system together. It works more or less fine (WinXP Home installed with
no problems, I'm now typing on this machine), except for 2 issues:

1. ATI Control Center won't run.
2. Computer won't perform warm reboot (Ctrl-Alt-Del, or "restart" from
Windows menu results in motherboard being hung at the stage of
processor identification, according to these nice LEDs at the MSI
bracket). Pressing "Reset" switch or powering system on-off brings
things back to normal.

Is it a bad motherboard, processor, both? Or any other suggestions?

P.S. The PSU rails seem OK:
Vcore 1.42
+3.3V = 3.25V
+12V = 11.80V
+5V = 4.99V
Battery +3.19V
+5VSB = 5.05V

As reported by system's BIO

gf

Distinguished
May 4, 2004

On 5 Dec 2004 16:19:09 -0800, stas27@yahoo.com (Stas) wrote:

>Hi, everybody!
>
>After lots of reading, I finally decided to upgrade my home system. I
>bought:
>MSI K8 Neo2 Platinum motherboard (Rev.1, Bios 1.3)
>AMD Athlon64 3000+ processor
>2 sticks of Corsair value RAM (PC3200). They are in dual-channel mopde
>in banks 1 and 2.
>An old (but seemingly working) Adaptec AHA2940UW SCSI Adaptor
>Radeon 9700Pro 128 MB video card
>Antec Sonata case.
>
>At this point almost all settings in BIOS are default.
>
>After some problems with the case (power supply was dead) I put this
>system together. It works more or less fine (WinXP Home installed with
>no problems, I'm now typing on this machine), except for 2 issues:
>
>1. ATI Control Center won't run.
>2. Computer won't perform warm reboot (Ctrl-Alt-Del, or "restart" from
>Windows menu results in motherboard being hung at the stage of
>processor identification, according to these nice LEDs at the MSI
>bracket). Pressing "Reset" switch or powering system on-off brings
>things back to normal.
>
>Is it a bad motherboard, processor, both? Or any other suggestions?
>
>P.S. The PSU rails seem OK:
>Vcore 1.42
>+3.3V = 3.25V
>+12V = 11.80V
>+5V = 4.99V
>Battery +3.19V
>+5VSB = 5.05V
>
>As reported by system's BIO

I have the same mobo with a FX53 and it does the same thing plus has
weird temps (high). Don't worry about it just punch the button and
run it, that's what I finally decided on mine. Mine is super stable
and runs up a storm! It is all in the mobo. MSI would have had one
of the best mobo of all times if they had worked on it just a little
longer.

Well, if there is a fix, I'll appreciate a pointer ;). I've been
looking and so far hadn't been able to find any.

Cheers,
Stas.

gf wrote:
> On 5 Dec 2004 16:19:09 -0800, stas27@yahoo.com (Stas) wrote:
>

>>Hi, everybody!
>>
>>After lots of reading, I finally decided to upgrade my home system. I
>>bought:
>>MSI K8 Neo2 Platinum motherboard (Rev.1, Bios 1.3)
>>AMD Athlon64 3000+ processor
>>2 sticks of Corsair value RAM (PC3200). They are in dual-channel mopde
>>in banks 1 and 2.
>>An old (but seemingly working) Adaptec AHA2940UW SCSI Adaptor
>>Radeon 9700Pro 128 MB video card
>>Antec Sonata case.
>>
>>At this point almost all settings in BIOS are default.
>>
>>After some problems with the case (power supply was dead) I put this
>>system together. It works more or less fine (WinXP Home installed with
>>no problems, I'm now typing on this machine), except for 2 issues:
>>
>>1. ATI Control Center won't run.
>>2. Computer won't perform warm reboot (Ctrl-Alt-Del, or "restart" from
>>Windows menu results in motherboard being hung at the stage of
>>processor identification, according to these nice LEDs at the MSI
>>bracket). Pressing "Reset" switch or powering system on-off brings
>>things back to normal.
>>
>>Is it a bad motherboard, processor, both? Or any other suggestions?
>>
>>P.S. The PSU rails seem OK:
>>Vcore 1.42
>>+3.3V = 3.25V
>>+12V = 11.80V
>>+5V = 4.99V
>>Battery +3.19V
>>+5VSB = 5.05V
>>
>>As reported by system's BIO
>

> I have the same mobo with a FX53 and it does the same thing plus has
> weird temps (high). Don't worry about it just punch the button and
> run it, that's what I finally decided on mine. Mine is super stable
> and runs up a storm! It is all in the mobo. MSI would have had one
> of the best mobo of all times if they had worked on it just a little
> longer.

hi

i have a neo2 platinum also and i have no problem warm rebooting. but i
had a problem with keyboard on ps2 ports -> gone to usb kb & mouse.
windows have somthing on the usb mouse (wheel mouse optical) after
hibernate, it wont work for more than a second before it freezes.

coco

Thanks, Chip, I'll give it a try. I'm pretty sure, I've changed this
setting at one point, and it didn't make much difference, but I'll try
again tonight.

Cheers,
Stas.

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

"gf" <gmccullough@americamail.com> wrote in message
> On 5 Dec 2004 16:19:09 -0800, stas27@yahoo.com (Stas) wrote:
>
>>Hi, everybody!
>>
>>After lots of reading, I finally decided to upgrade my home system. I
>>bought:
>>MSI K8 Neo2 Platinum motherboard (Rev.1, Bios 1.3)
>>AMD Athlon64 3000+ processor
>>2 sticks of Corsair value RAM (PC3200). They are in dual-channel mopde
>>in banks 1 and 2.
>>An old (but seemingly working) Adaptec AHA2940UW SCSI Adaptor
>>Radeon 9700Pro 128 MB video card
>>Antec Sonata case.
>>
>>At this point almost all settings in BIOS are default.
>>
>>After some problems with the case (power supply was dead) I put this
>>system together. It works more or less fine (WinXP Home installed with
>>no problems, I'm now typing on this machine), except for 2 issues:
>>
>>1. ATI Control Center won't run.
>>2. Computer won't perform warm reboot (Ctrl-Alt-Del, or "restart" from
>>Windows menu results in motherboard being hung at the stage of
>>processor identification, according to these nice LEDs at the MSI
>>bracket). Pressing "Reset" switch or powering system on-off brings
>>things back to normal.
>>
>>Is it a bad motherboard, processor, both? Or any other suggestions?
>>
>>P.S. The PSU rails seem OK:
>>Vcore 1.42
>>+3.3V = 3.25V
>>+12V = 11.80V
>>+5V = 4.99V
>>Battery +3.19V
>>+5VSB = 5.05V
>>
>>As reported by system's BIO
>

> I have the same mobo with a FX53 and it does the same thing plus has
> weird temps (high). Don't worry about it just punch the button and
> run it, that's what I finally decided on mine. Mine is super stable
> and runs up a storm! It is all in the mobo. MSI would have had one
> of the best mobo of all times if they had worked on it just a little
> longer.

I'm fairly sure there is a known fix for the warm-boot problem. Something
to do with how you do a bios update and clearing the cmos and loading
optimized defaults etc. Google may be able to help you. If I remember
where I read it, I will let you know.

Chip

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

"stas27" <stas27@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Well, if there is a fix, I'll appreciate a pointer ;). I've been
> looking and so far hadn't been able to find any.

I'll try to find it for you.

Just one thing. You know the bios setting that lets you choose whether it
should initial and AGP Graphics card first, or a PCI graphics card first?
Sorry I can't remember exactly what the setting is called. Anyway, make
sure its set to AGP. See if that fixes your problem. Don't ask me why, its
just a hunch.

Chip

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

"Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net> wrote in message

Sorry, there was a typo. I meant "You know the bios setting that lets you
choose whether it
> should INITIALIZE the AGP Graphics card first..."

> Just one thing. You know the bios setting that lets you choose whether it
> should initialise the AGP Graphics card first, or a PCI graphics card
> first? Sorry I can't remember exactly what the setting is called. Anyway,
> make sure its set to AGP. See if that fixes your problem. Don't ask me
> why, its just a hunch.
>
> Chip

Yep, as I thought, AGP/PCI setting doesn't change MB's behaviour at
all. I'm RMAing it to Zipzoomfly, let's see if another board behaves in
the same manner...

I'm waiting for RMA results from Zipzoomfly. The "Warm reboot" didn't
work with 1.3 and 1.51Beta BIOS. There was no 1.4 when I was tinkering
with this board (more precisely, I did not know there was).

Stas.

PB

Please post any final resolution you achieve. I am looking at this
board myself and this issue concerns me. What version of the BIOS are
you using? In the AMD 64 (x86-64) bit ng, a fellow referred to a 1.4
that is available.

Looking forward to any follow-up.

PB

stas27 wrote:
> Yep, as I thought, AGP/PCI setting doesn't change MB's behaviour at
> all. I'm RMAing it to Zipzoomfly, let's see if another board behaves in
> the same manner...

gf

Distinguished
May 4, 2004

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 19:52:20 GMT, PB <p00lb0y@insightbb.com> wrote:

>Please post any final resolution you achieve. I am looking at this
>board myself and this issue concerns me. What version of the BIOS are
>you using? In the AMD 64 (x86-64) bit ng, a fellow referred to a 1.4
>that is available.
>
>Looking forward to any follow-up.
>
>PB
>
>stas27 wrote:
>> Yep, as I thought, AGP/PCI setting doesn't change MB's behaviour at
>> all. I'm RMAing it to Zipzoomfly, let's see if another board behaves in
>> the same manner...

I think it is more of a quirk instead of a flaw. Mine warm boots good
when cool and quite is not running. With it running it will warm boot
about half of the time. Perhaps there is something that I am not
doing right but I have not found it to be a big deal. I just hit the
reset button when it will not warm boot. There may be something in
some install that it would hurt but I have not found it yet, but there
again what do I know. :)
I am using 1.3

Well, ZipZoomFly claims that this board boots fine in their hands (and
imply that I don't know how to do a warm reboot from Windows, or was
lying about it, or something, leaving me somewhat pissed). Now I have
to decide whether I want this board back, or switch to Asus A8V (I
always had very good luck with their boards)... I have also contacted
MSI tech support regarding this issue. We'll see...

Well, ZipZoomFly claims that this board boots fine in their hands (and
imply that I don't know how to do a warm reboot from Windows, or was
lying about it, or something, leaving me somewhat pissed). Now I have
to decide whether I want this board back, or switch to Asus A8V (I
always had very good luck with their boards)... I have also contacted
MSI tech support regarding this issue. We'll see...

For those who are interested: See
http://forum.msi.com.tw/thread.php?threadid=68901 for ongoing
discussion of the problem. I decided to give this board another try,
but customer service from MSI left me VERY favorably impressed so far.

stas27 wrote:
> I'm waiting for RMA results from Zipzoomfly. The "Warm reboot" didn't
> work with 1.3 and 1.51Beta BIOS. There was no 1.4 when I was
tinkering
> with this board (more precisely, I did not know there was).
>
> Stas.

roy

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003

I've actually had the reverse problem with mine. Mine doesn't cold boot but
will warm boot just fine.

"Roy" <a@a.a> wrote in message news:Le5wd.1005$k_1.911@fe03.lga...
> I've actually had the reverse problem with mine. Mine doesn't cold boot
> but will warm boot just fine.

Thats probably down to your power supply then. You could test that if you
like: unplug all your case fans and cd roms extra disk etc (i.e. unplug
them from the power supply) and then try to do a cold boot. If it cold
boots OK, then you know your PSU is not up to the job.

Cold boot startup problems are classic symptoms of an under-powered PSU,
since the current drain is highest at cold boot time.

Chip

roy

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003

I'll try it but I can't imagine that would be the case for me. I just got a
new 500w power supply.

> "Roy" <a@a.a> wrote in message news:Le5wd.1005$k_1.911@fe03.lga...
>> I've actually had the reverse problem with mine. Mine doesn't cold boot
>> but will warm boot just fine.
>
> Thats probably down to your power supply then. You could test that if
> you like: unplug all your case fans and cd roms extra disk etc (i.e.
> unplug them from the power supply) and then try to do a cold boot. If it
> cold boots OK, then you know your PSU is not up to the job.
>
> Cold boot startup problems are classic symptoms of an under-powered PSU,
> since the current drain is highest at cold boot time.
>
> Chip

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

"Roy" <a@a.a> wrote in message news:7Wewd.1059$Ab.590@fe03.lga...
> I'll try it but I can't imagine that would be the case for me. I just got
> a new 500w power supply.

Yes, but what brand? Is that 500watts or 500who-knows-watts? Some of the
lesser-known manufacturers "specs" are frankly, well - how can I put this -
lies.

Chip

roy

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003

> Yes, but what brand? Is that 500watts or 500who-knows-watts?

MGE is the brand. It looked like a good deal. I got it from Newegg (along
with everything else).

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-167-009&depa=0

MGE Vigor500 500W Power Supply with dual LED fans, P4 and AMD
Approved, Model "PSVG-500" -RETAIL

Model# PSVG-500
Item # N82E16817167009

Specifications:
Type: ATX
Maximum Power: 500W
PFC: No
Input Voltage: 115/230V AC
Input Frequency Range: 50/60Hz
Output: +3.3V@15A, +5V@40A, +12V@19A, -5V@0.6A, -12V@0.6A, +5VSB@2A
MTBF: 100,000 Hours
Approvals: UL, FCC, UR, TUV, and NOM
Features:
- Acrylic window
- Fan speed control
- 1 x 120mm LED Fan, 1 x 80mm LED Fan
- Fan guard & wire sleeve and SATA

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

"Roy" <a@a.a> wrote in message news:HJnwd.1120$hk5.760@fe03.lga...

> "Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net> wrote in message
>> Yes, but what brand? Is that 500watts or 500who-knows-watts?
>
> MGE is the brand. It looked like a good deal. I got it from Newegg
> (along with everything else).
>
> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-167-009&depa=0
>
> MGE Vigor500 500W Power Supply with dual LED fans, P4 and AMD
> Approved, Model "PSVG-500" -RETAIL
>
> Model# PSVG-500
> Item # N82E16817167009
>
> Specifications:
> Type: ATX
> Maximum Power: 500W
> PFC: No
> Input Voltage: 115/230V AC
> Input Frequency Range: 50/60Hz
> Output: +3.3V@15A, +5V@40A, +12V@19A, -5V@0.6A, -12V@0.6A, +5VSB@2A
> MTBF: 100,000 Hours
> Approvals: UL, FCC, UR, TUV, and NOM
> Features:
> - Acrylic window
> - Fan speed control
> - 1 x 120mm LED Fan, 1 x 80mm LED Fan
> - Fan guard & wire sleeve and SATA

I guess other Newegg customers seem to like it, so that's enouraging. On
the other hand, 19A on the 12V rail is very poor for a modern 500W power
supply. 30A or more is typical of a quality 500W unit. And that's assuming
they are being honest with the 19A number - it might well be 19A in "ideal"
conditions, like operating at impossibly cold temperatures.

And bear in power is proportional to the square of the current. So if you
compare a 19A supply with another PSU with a 30A supply, yours in only
capable of outputting 40% of the power!

So I would certainly think your PSU is Prime Suspect. It may be OK, but
that would be my first thing to investigate.

Chip

Ok, the problem's solved. I'm quoting the guy who suggested the trick
to me at MSI forum (so that it's easier to see in Google):

Stas,
I've been fighting this same no-warm boot problem for two days now
(just built this system). Everything was fine at first and then all of
a sudden the system would not re-boot on "restart" or auto reboot after
installation of programs. Well after searching MANY MANY forums, I came
across a suggestion , supposedly from an MSI tech, that says to
increase the AGP voltage to 1.60. And what do ya know?? NO MORE
PROBLEMS!! Now I noticed you're running a Radeon 9700Pro 128Meg (Just
like I am) but what about your PSU?? I have an Antec True 480watts.
Give it a try. Hope this cures what ails your rig.

Modoc.

Raising the AGP voltage did do the trick. I was rebooting just fine at
1.65V, now I'm down to 1.6, Modoc says that he's down to 1.55V and
going strong ;)

Now I'm trying to figure out if SCSI is indeed fast enough to warrant
the pain of resolving this issue ;)

Cheers,
Stas,

Stas27 wrote:
> For those who are interested: See
> http://forum.msi.com.tw/thread.php?threadid=68901 for ongoing
> discussion of the problem. I decided to give this board another try,
> but customer service from MSI left me VERY favorably impressed so
far.

> stas27 wrote:
> > I'm waiting for RMA results from Zipzoomfly. The "Warm reboot"
didn't
> > work with 1.3 and 1.51Beta BIOS. There was no 1.4 when I was
> tinkering
> > with this board (more precisely, I did not know there was).
> >
> > Stas.

Well, I was too optimistic. It looks like some MSI boards will have a
warm reboot problem no matter what. I got rid of the SCSI controller I
thought caused a problem, raised AGP voltage, changed the A20 gate
option to normal, raised a little the Vcore, still the system won't
reboot every other (or every third or whatever) time. Since it's
completely stable when running, I decided that I'll just have to live
with it.

But buyers beware - I suspect that there is some assembly quality
issue. failure to do warm reboot seems to be associated with the
computer being up and running for a few days in a row (it becomes worse
on thoroughly warmed-up machine). Oh, well...

Stas.