Good looking, well designed desktop?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

An elderly neighbour has asked me to advise her on buying a desktop
computer. Looks are important to her. Money is not a big problem. She
initially wanted a laptop, but I have persuaded her that desktops are more
comfortable.

A Mac mini might be a good choice for her, but I would rather go the PC
route. Is there anything with similar a level of design as a Mac mini
available in the PC marketplace?

Thanks in advance,

--
Iain Cheyne

Iain Cheyne wrote:
> An elderly neighbour has asked me to advise her on buying a desktop
> computer. Looks are important to her. Money is not a big problem. She
> initially wanted a laptop, but I have persuaded her that desktops are
> more comfortable.
>
> A Mac mini might be a good choice for her, but I would rather go the
> PC route. Is there anything with similar a level of design as a Mac
> mini available in the PC marketplace?

Shuttle offers a good variety of barebones systems.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=3&manufactory=1465&DEPA=1&sortby=14&order=1

These may be of interest to your neighbour.

--
"Even a broken clock is going to be once twice a day." - Jedidiah in
cola

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

Iain Cheyne <myfirstname@mysecondname.net> wrote in

> Is there anything with similar a level of design as a Mac
> mini available in the PC marketplace?

Thanks for the initial suggestions. Something based in Britain would be
good too.

:eek:)

--
Iain Cheyne

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

You should be able to find some of the Shuttle Micro PCs in any number of
British mags.

"S.Heenan" <sheenan@wahs.ac> wrote in

> Shuttle offers a good variety of barebones systems.
> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=3&
> manufactory=1465&DEPA=1&sortby=14&order=1
>
> These may be of interest to your neighbour.

Thanks, these are exactly the sort of thing she's after.

--
Iain Cheyne

Apollo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

"Iain Cheyne" <myfirstname@mysecondname.net> wrote in message
> Iain Cheyne <myfirstname@mysecondname.net> wrote in
>
>> Is there anything with similar a level of design as a Mac
>> mini available in the PC marketplace?
>
> Thanks for the initial suggestions. Something based in Britain
> would be
> good too.

Ebuyer, Dabs, Novatech etc., for barebones shuttle systems.

Evesham make some decent kit, if you don't want to build one;
http://www.evesham.com/PCs/List.asp?e=10086B77-5C2F-4404-BF2F-1347FA6983CE

HTH

--
Ian

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

"Apollo" <ian_dunbar6@hot[un-munge-me]mail.com> wrote in

> Ebuyer, Dabs, Novatech etc., for barebones shuttle systems.

Thanks for all the advice. It looks like Shuttle are the best people to go
to for this sort of thing.

--
Iain Cheyne