865PE Neo2 Bios keeps changing when i add IDE's

i have Bios set so that - ON-Chip IDE Configuration is
Native Mode (Supported by WinXP- Allows all devices connected to IDE 1&2
and Serial 1&2 to be detected)
SATA Only or PATA Only (select the one that you boot XP with)
Keep SATA Active - Yes (if option available)
Keep PATA Active - Yes (if option available)
PATA Channel selection - Both (if option available)
Configure SATA as Raid - No (if option available)
Leave other settings here at default

i have XP Pro loaded on my SATA 160Gb Seagate which shows as Primary IDE
Master, then my DVD on 3rd IDE MAster BUT when i add my 40Gb IDE Maxtor HDD
it changes to
Primary Master = DVD
Secondary MAster = MAxtor
Third Master = SATA
and wont boot. It comes up say NTLDR is missing.
Why is this. I have another IBM 40Gb IDE drive that i want to put on as well
but when i do it says failed 4th Slave.

Thanks in advance to any helpers.
2 answers Last reply
More about 865pe neo2 bios changing

    Try different settings with the SATA and PATA. Write down what you
    have, them change one at a time to get it to work. Try these first.
    SATA Only or PATA Only
    Keep SATA Active - Yes
    Keep PATA Active - Yes
    PATA Channel selection - Both
    There is another selection below this for IDE order. Some will not
    adjust until you fix another. They grey out. Get them to adjust and
    I tried to find something on the forum but couldn't.

    The Major wrote:
    > i have Bios set so that - ON-Chip IDE Configuration is
    > Native Mode (Supported by WinXP- Allows all devices connected to IDE 1&2
    > and Serial 1&2 to be detected)
    > SATA Only or PATA Only (select the one that you boot XP with)
    > Keep SATA Active - Yes (if option available)
    > Keep PATA Active - Yes (if option available)
    > PATA Channel selection - Both (if option available)
    > Configure SATA as Raid - No (if option available)
    > Leave other settings here at default
    >
    > i have XP Pro loaded on my SATA 160Gb Seagate which shows as Primary IDE
    > Master, then my DVD on 3rd IDE MAster BUT when i add my 40Gb IDE Maxtor HDD
    > it changes to
    > Primary Master = DVD
    > Secondary MAster = MAxtor
    > Third Master = SATA
    > and wont boot. It comes up say NTLDR is missing.
    > Why is this. I have another IBM 40Gb IDE drive that i want to put on as well
    > but when i do it says failed 4th Slave.
    >
    > Thanks in advance to any helpers.

  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    Thanks Mike will give this a go tonight.
    "Mike" <mejacobie@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > Try different settings with the SATA and PATA. Write down what you
    > have, them change one at a time to get it to work. Try these first.
    > SATA Only or PATA Only
    > Keep SATA Active - Yes
    > Keep PATA Active - Yes
    > PATA Channel selection - Both
    > There is another selection below this for IDE order. Some will not
    > adjust until you fix another. They grey out. Get them to adjust and
    > I tried to find something on the forum but couldn't.
    >

    > The Major wrote:
    > > i have Bios set so that - ON-Chip IDE Configuration is
    > > Native Mode (Supported by WinXP- Allows all devices connected to IDE 1&2
    > > and Serial 1&2 to be detected)
    > > SATA Only or PATA Only (select the one that you boot XP with)
    > > Keep SATA Active - Yes (if option available)
    > > Keep PATA Active - Yes (if option available)
    > > PATA Channel selection - Both (if option available)
    > > Configure SATA as Raid - No (if option available)
    > > Leave other settings here at default
    > >
    > > i have XP Pro loaded on my SATA 160Gb Seagate which shows as Primary IDE
    > > Master, then my DVD on 3rd IDE MAster BUT when i add my 40Gb IDE Maxtor
    HDD
    > > it changes to
    > > Primary Master = DVD
    > > Secondary MAster = MAxtor
    > > Third Master = SATA
    > > and wont boot. It comes up say NTLDR is missing.
    > > Why is this. I have another IBM 40Gb IDE drive that i want to put on as
    well
    > > but when i do it says failed 4th Slave.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance to any helpers.

MSI-Microstar SATA BIOS Motherboards