MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum & MSI ATI Radeon RX800 Pro Compatibi..

myob

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004

I'm putting together a system based on the above combination of m/b and
graphics card, however the system won't start, just a twitch of the fans,
then dead...

I thought that by buying both products made by MSI that they would work
together......

The RX800 works ok i a different m/b (athlonXP 2400+ in a cheap as chips
m/b)

An old Nvidia graphics card works ok in the K8N Neo2.

I installed windows etc by using the Nvidia card and updated to the latest
BIOS via Liveupdate.... Tried the RX800 back in the board after
flashing..... nothing again...

System behaves as normal with the Nvidia card,

These components are brand new, and they both work ok apart from together!

Anyone got any comments, experience of running these two togther or
suggestions on how to get this up and running? I'm building it for my sons
chrimbo pressie.

I thought it might be a power issue, so I borrowed one from a 2.8Ghz P4
machine rated at 350 watts so I would have thought that it was man enough,
still no luck.

If you are using one of the new 90 nm socket 939 ("Winchester") CPUs you
might need a bios update. Of course, if you can't post you can't update the
bios and if you can't update the bios then you can't post, etc. If have
read that if you can borrow an older 130 nm CPU then you can post and update
the bios and then you should be OK from that point. I have the K8T Neo2
myself with a new 3000+ 90 nm CPU. I have sent the board back to MSI for
the bios flash. I did not have any friends with a 939 A64 to lend me.

"MYOB" <careco@nospam.btinternet.com> wrote in message
> I'm putting together a system based on the above combination of m/b and
> graphics card, however the system won't start, just a twitch of the fans,
> then dead...
>
> I thought that by buying both products made by MSI that they would work
> together......
>
> The RX800 works ok i a different m/b (athlonXP 2400+ in a cheap as chips
> m/b)
>
> An old Nvidia graphics card works ok in the K8N Neo2.
>
> I installed windows etc by using the Nvidia card and updated to the latest
> BIOS via Liveupdate.... Tried the RX800 back in the board after
> flashing..... nothing again...
>
> System behaves as normal with the Nvidia card,
>
> These components are brand new, and they both work ok apart from together!
>
> Anyone got any comments, experience of running these two togther or
> suggestions on how to get this up and running? I'm building it for my sons
> chrimbo pressie.
>
> I thought it might be a power issue, so I borrowed one from a 2.8Ghz P4
> machine rated at 350 watts so I would have thought that it was man enough,
> still no luck.

myob

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004

Reflashed Bios to 1.3, nothing else was changed, now up and running,

and yes they work together after a bit of grinding of teeth...

"MYOB" <careco@nospam.btinternet.com> wrote in message
> I'm putting together a system based on the above combination of m/b and
> graphics card, however the system won't start, just a twitch of the fans,
> then dead...
>
> I thought that by buying both products made by MSI that they would work
> together......
>
> The RX800 works ok i a different m/b (athlonXP 2400+ in a cheap as chips
> m/b)
>
> An old Nvidia graphics card works ok in the K8N Neo2.
>
> I installed windows etc by using the Nvidia card and updated to the latest
> BIOS via Liveupdate.... Tried the RX800 back in the board after
> flashing..... nothing again...
>
> System behaves as normal with the Nvidia card,
>
> These components are brand new, and they both work ok apart from together!
>
> Anyone got any comments, experience of running these two togther or
> suggestions on how to get this up and running? I'm building it for my sons
> chrimbo pressie.
>
> I thought it might be a power issue, so I borrowed one from a 2.8Ghz P4
> machine rated at 350 watts so I would have thought that it was man enough,
> still no luck.

Reflashed Bios to 1.3, nothing else was changed, now up and running,

and yes they work together after a bit of grinding of teeth...

TRENDING THREADS